Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2022, 04:03 AM - 2 Likes   #106
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Maybe you should. I know I want to do more of that sort of photography. Landscapes interest me less these days.
I'd really like to try that out. The local photo club is having a workshop on senior photos, and I hope to learn lots then.

05-16-2022, 06:31 AM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@AggieDad I wish you a speedy recovery!

The controller looks like an arduino variation, with the pin outs that are visible.
05-16-2022, 10:44 AM - 4 Likes   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am with @Robski in that I am loving the 18-135 which is a surprise on two counts, 1) previous walkarounds with it were less than stellar & 2) it is up against limiteds. I think the reason that earlier outings failed to move me was a distinct lack of purpose. This is a cracking lens for kit+. As for me, film photography has taken over my life, for now. I am trying to get my head round so many aspects and some days it is too late to post. I think I may have mixed some days up too. Never mind. The idea is to shoot every day and I have done that, I have just ended up bulk posting so my school report currently says "C-, must try harder!"...... Sorry mum
05-16-2022, 02:32 PM - 2 Likes   #109
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I would give myself a C- but the F 100mm Macro is a A- , the only issue I have had with it is the tendency to flare massively when pointed towards the light outside. It is very odd considering the front element is set deep inside the lens with a natural built in lens hood, I think I will try an extra lens hood and see if that improves the situation. Otherwise it works well outside and is super easy to use as a macro, nice to have the focus limiter as well. Time to see if I can push my score up by the end of the month, I will try harder

05-16-2022, 10:07 PM - 1 Like   #110
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
here it is - your monthly mid-month check-in....

how is that lens working out for you - did you choose poorly this time around?

or is this the month you discovered just what you've been missing?

DA16-45 … I like having 16mm there… the 45 is nice (-ish) sometimes… it is convenient having both options and in-between … there’s even some nice character in the photos here and there.

But…

I threw the DA21 limited back on for a bit on Sunday, and even though it was too dark (went bowling for my son’s birthday) to get really nice/clear images, I just loved using it more. And the pic in decentish light I took before we left (of Sullivan) just pops in another league from the slightly earlier ones I took with the 16-45.

So, the point of that digression? I’m liking the 16-45, and it’s very convenient, and really good for the price, but (of course and unsurprisingly) it’s not got the feel of the DA 21 limited - which is now my benchmark lens, since a year of it.

As for my performance … up and down. A lot has to do with busyness at work, as well as unhelpful train timetables (changed because COVID, changed actually most recently because of the landslides in flooding, and never returned to normal) leaving me hurrying to work from the station because I’m on the late side.
05-17-2022, 01:14 AM - 1 Like   #111
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been holding onto 18-135 and occasionally consider my relationship with it. I guess it's time to admit I'm all in FF and prime lenses and will not use it. The mere thought of doing SIC with it fills me with doubt and I decided I'm not going to do that. I guess it's time to put my copy on sale.
05-17-2022, 02:47 AM   #112
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
What a lovely steady wind. It's never so stable in our homebay

Nowadays I ride mostly Starboard Phantom 377L, but I have a couple of smaller slalom boards for windy days. I mostly use those if I go surfing somewhere with more open access for wind.
Awesome, a beast of a board! I've only ridden one once but thoroughly enjoyed it.

05-17-2022, 03:10 AM   #113
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess it's time to admit I'm all in FF and prime lenses and will not use it.
I have used my DA 18-135 WR on my K-1 in FF mode (uncropped) and been very pleased with it. Now I almost always compose with te idea of cropping in post, but even so the vignetting is minimal at the wide end. Try it out on your K-1 before you sell it, it's always great to have at WR walk-around, and the zoom range makes it a versatile lens
05-17-2022, 03:23 AM   #114
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
it's always great to have at WR walk-around
I have DFA*85 for that

But I have discovered that I don't actually walk around in rain...
05-17-2022, 10:56 AM - 2 Likes   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But I have discovered that I don't actually walk around in rain...
Rain used to be "bad weather" here. Just wait a bit. After no rain in March (<1mm), around half of the average of the last 20y in April (17mm) and no rain since, a lot of people actually got out to walk in the first rain in May yesterday in the evening.
05-18-2022, 12:34 AM   #116
Forum Member

To AggieDad, I wanted to comment on your photo for the 17th.

You didn't exactly talk it up in the daily image thread, however I really like it - a lot. The lines, shapes and textures. The slightly grungy feel, the toppled witches hat. If you hadn't mentioned what the scene was, I would not have guessed. Your image poses questions. I think it's great.
05-18-2022, 07:42 AM - 2 Likes   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks to everyone for this daily challenge series. It has been just what I needed to get me back outside with the camera on a regular basis as I am finally coming back from 8 months of fighting some heart issues.

I am not sure about my lens choice. I chose the 85mm MF because I had just bought it not long before everything began to go south, and I had not really used it other than one or two quick tryouts. I like the lens and seem to be doing okay manually focusing it. But, for me, 85mm is way too long for any kind of walk-around lens. On the other hand, it is good at forcing me to be a bit more creative with some of my angles and framing – sometimes doing what I might have done with a crop.

One thing that is definite is that it has been a good exercise to work the whole time with one prime. I often find myself grabbing a zoom of some kind for convenience. Doing this is a good lesson in discipline. If I do this again next month – that's doctor dependent – I will stay with a prime, but I will slide all the way down to the plastic 35mm. If nothing else, it will be a lot lighter to carry around.

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
@AggieDad I wish you a speedy recovery!

The controller looks like an arduino variation, with the pin outs that are visible.
@ Riggomatic: Thanks for your kind thought. I am doing well, but I am just a bit frustrated with the no-drive leash I wear.
You have a good eye. The controller is a "Seeeduino Nano," a clone of the Arduino Nano. I have used them to control both my home-built panorama head and my home-built focus-stacker rail.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikey Floyd Quote
To AggieDad, I wanted to comment on your photo for the 17th.

You didn't exactly talk it up in the daily image thread, however I really like it - a lot. The lines, shapes and textures. The slightly grungy feel, the toppled witches hat. If you hadn't mentioned what the scene was, I would not have guessed. Your image poses questions. I think it's great.
@Mikey Floyd: Thanks for your comments. It turned out okay, but I wasn't sure. It was not a good shoot. No one was at the skateboard park, so I was left with trying to get shots of shapes and patterns and such. But it was midday and the sun was straight up, so there were no shadows to give any modeling to anything. This was the last photo I took. I grabbed as I was walking back to the car.
I have been watching your work and I think we seem to share a similar eye for things and we both seem to enjoy B&W images. I know I most definitely would have taken shots of the fridge. First, because it is a bookshelf, and second, because it a refrigerator outside. I love things that have strange (or wrong) juxtapositions. I invite you (and anyone else) to take a peek at my site PhotoMono which is exclusively monochrome images.
05-18-2022, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Originally posted by robgski*
it's always great to have at WR walk-around
I have DFA*85 for that
Interesting. I just posted that I have found the 85mm way too long for a walk-around after choosing it for this challenge. Well as they say, that's why there is vanilla and chocolate.
05-18-2022, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #119
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Interesting. I just posted that I have found the 85mm way too long for a walk-around after choosing it for this challenge. Well as they say, that's why there is vanilla and chocolate.
Then you should get an FA 77mm, it’s a great lens, and smaller and lighter. My copy can stay on my camera for weeks at a time.

The idea of “walk-around” is more about versatility than weight, IMO.
05-18-2022, 10:09 AM   #120
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
85 gives nice separation for subjects. If I need wider view, it's easy to build panoramas or brenizers. Very handy