Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 285 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2022, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Single in May 2022

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikey Floyd Quote
I thought it might verge on heresy around these discussions to express a desire for less, rather than more, lenses. I ...

Actually I believe that the original intent of the SiC was to reduce LBA by really getting to know the lenses one already has.

I’m not sure it played out like that in general…

05-23-2022, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #152
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
Actually I believe that the original intent of the SiC was to reduce LBA by really getting to know the lenses one already has.

not here, it didn't.....

(:
05-23-2022, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #153

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Nothing for today - lost the temporary filling from my root canal and I think my mojo went with it. See you tomorrow .
05-23-2022, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #154
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I guess it has worked in my case. I did get a set of lenses to play and learn with. I have come to understand that I have pretty good lenses now and that I don't really need better. So any upgrade is purely want based and only the very finest lenses, like DFA*85, can be justified. So I've been pretty free of LBA for last couple of years, as I'm not in a kind of hurry to fill my line up with top end glass. But when I happen to have enough money to spend with no other use, I'm sure I will buy some other excellent lenses. Not likely to happen soon thought, as there are some windsurfing sails that need attention...

05-23-2022, 11:53 PM - 1 Like   #155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
not here, it didn't.....

(:
Hahahahahahahahaha
05-24-2022, 12:21 AM - 1 Like   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really? I think it worked for me. I reduced lens amount from 10 or so to 4 And don't feel urge to get another one, what I have currently works great and before I started SICs I was like "hmm, maybe I get 40, would be nice to have prime, or maybe this, or that" Not anymore, I am content with what I have and I don't think I will buy something new in the future, unless Pentax releases modern version of 60-250 to replace SDM one
05-24-2022, 12:28 AM   #157
Pentaxian

I know which lenses I won't use for a sic, and consequently, will be for the chop!

05-24-2022, 12:28 AM - 2 Likes   #158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me the sic was never massively linked to lba, just like Ismo said it was always a proving ground. It taught me how to shoot fish eye and uwa, it taught me how to control dof and distance perception and I still get them wrong. But the main thing it did was leave me with a profound understanding that the lenses I own are everything and all I need, some, like Sandy's 20-40 go beyond that, and my LBA has shifted to film gas. Lol.

As for film, I am about a year in. Yeah I shot film badly back in the day but never tried to understand it. As I got into photography I just knew I had to give it a go. I now have a mint Pentax MX, a pocket rangefinder .....stop waggling your eyebrows its a Ricoh 500rf. In medium format twin lens reflex I have an absolutely pristine yashica mat, one of the late ones (1972) with the f2.8 viewing lens, and a 1946 Zeiss Ikoflex ii/I that could have been a bit soft, post WWII Zeiss lenses sometimes were, but mine is so nice I have one comp entry (so far).

I will need to specify it is a film shot because some judges are idiots but it will predate all other cameras in our club competitions by at least 65 years, which is cool in itself. Like I said, I am a year in and I think film has had an impact on the care I take before hitting that shutter button.

---------- Post added 24-05-22 at 01:26 AM ----------

As for developing @MikeyFloyd yep, I home dev mono. That's a rabbit hole all by itself. I started out wanting to be Chem free (caffenol) but soon succumbed to ID-11, Rodinal and HC110. The latter is tremendous for expired film. I bought a bulk loader with some mystery film inside. It turned out to be 10m of ilford FP4 safety film that probably expired in the late 80s. FP4 is iso125 but the wisdom is remove one stop per decade so I shot the first at 64 and developed it in ID-11. It wasn't great, so the next film was shot at 64, developed at 250 in HC110, much better. Remember, this film is over 30years old and was probably stored in a cupboard!

If you fancy developing expired mono film, get some hc110, seriously, big difference!

As for doing a film sic, what a great plan. Having my loader, now full of Fomapan200 I can make a roll with 31 shots on it and literally take one per day. I could do it on the MX, the only issue would be posting. As it would be developed on day 32 should I go back in and add each shot on the correct day? Judge Ismo, we need a ruling (I say "we" because I am sure others will have a go? Mikey? Chris? Keith?

Last edited by Cerebum; 05-24-2022 at 01:10 AM.
05-24-2022, 03:57 AM - 3 Likes   #159
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been shooting daily with the SIC since September '15 (and with the DIC since July '17) and it has been a learning tool for me, each and every day/week/month....

I've learned so much and gained so much experience from the process and from everyone involved; I am sincerely grateful for what has been given to me freely and honestly, every day of the DIC....

I truly believe that if you are wanting to learn about your camera and the attached lens, there is no better way than to commit to shoot with it every day for 30 days - if you want to know the camera intimately, give it a full 365 days and see if you don't learn something amazing by the end of it all....

but as far as LBA..... my name is Dave and I'm an addict...

(:
05-24-2022, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #160
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with the utility of SIC and DIC in providing impetus for exploring specific gear daily for a period of time, with likely feedback from others.

It certainly has helped me determine how much I like the gear I own, and made me more discerning in my purchases.
05-24-2022, 03:29 PM - 2 Likes   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My LBA was under control until you all started talking about 85s. Now I have an M 85/2 on it's way to me.
05-24-2022, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #162
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Minimonster Quote
My LBA was under control until you all started talking about 85s. Now I have an M 85/2 on it's way to me.
nice!

(and you're welcome)
05-24-2022, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #163
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My rental DFA 85mm should arrive tomorrow. I can't wait to try it out.
05-24-2022, 09:51 PM - 1 Like   #164
Pentaxian

Well... when I joined here back in August 2019 I had like 4 lenses... now I own around 15... I'm far from drawing definite conclusions but...

---------- Post added 05-24-22 at 10:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
As for doing a film sic, what a great plan. Having my loader, now full of Fomapan200 I can make a roll with 31 shots on it and literally take one per day. I could do it on the MX, the only issue would be posting. As it would be developed on day 32 should I go back in and add each shot on the correct day? Judge Ismo, we need a ruling (I say "we" because I am sure others will have a go? Mikey? Chris? Keith?
This sounds like a really good idea

I can arrange film development at home in almost no time but I don't do scanning (my attempts to use the DSLR method have failed so far, mostly on the pp side). But assuming that I'd need 7-10 days for the processing of the negatives, here's what could work to me:

- we give ourselves the freedom of shooting two frames a day
- in mid-month, we develop the first and start the second roll of film
- on the 1st of the next month we start posting in the SiC threads from the previous month - in parallel to the present ones (here we'd need to apologize to all the other members for making a mess in the threads )
- in the meantime, the second roll gets developed and scanned to be ready for the midmonth

With this approach, we have enough time to process the pictures but still, we keep the daily, steady routine of posting - although with a monthly delay. That could go in parallel with the present SiC, assuming that the film-shooter joins the regular SiC, too.
One could use even more than two rolls a month - my point was only to give more time to scan the film and one day is way too short to me.
What would you say?

Last edited by Chris_K; 05-24-2022 at 10:05 PM.
05-24-2022, 10:45 PM   #165
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Minimonster Quote
That's the spirit Lovely lens. Congratulations on fine purchase. I'm not gonna sell mine thought I have the new one too.