Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2022, 02:31 PM - 2 Likes   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lancaster
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,593
Plan b(2) I just bought a 50mm f1.4 for 100 with two years warranty, so that is Julys sic sorted. The 40 will go on eBay and so will the 50mm f1.8 which will pay for the f1.4, meaning nothing comes out of the da* fund

06-17-2022, 03:06 PM   #137
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 34,193
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Plan b(2) I just bought a 50mm f1.4 for 100 with two years warranty, so that is Julys sic sorted. The 40 will go on eBay and so will the 50mm f1.8 which will pay for the f1.4, meaning nothing comes out of the da* fund
nice... who doesn't love a good plan 'b'....?
06-17-2022, 03:06 PM   #138
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Minimonster's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2018
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 798
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_K Quote
My shot from 15th hit explore:
Congrats!

---------- Post added 17-06-22 at 03:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Plan b(2) I just bought a 50mm f1.4 for 100 with two years warranty, so that is Julys sic sorted.
Which one? I have the Tak, K, M and A versions and love them all. Although now I write this it might seem that I have 2 or 3 too many...
06-17-2022, 04:33 PM   #139
Pentaxian
Tsuken's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,285
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Plan b(2) I just bought a 50mm f1.4 for 100 with two years warranty, so that is Julys sic sorted. The 40 will go on eBay and so will the 50mm f1.8 which will pay for the f1.4, meaning nothing comes out of the da* fund

Winning! :-D

06-17-2022, 11:59 PM   #140
Pentaxian
Chris_K's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Poland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,168
QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Well done
QuoteOriginally posted by Minimonster Quote
Congrats!
Thank you, folks
06-18-2022, 01:15 AM   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lancaster
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,593
QuoteOriginally posted by Minimonster Quote
Congrats!

---------- Post added 17-06-22 at 03:11 PM ----------



Which one? I have the Tak, K, M and A versions and love them all. Although now I write this it might seem that I have 2 or 3 too many...
Its the SMC FA to go with my fa 35mm f2
06-18-2022, 03:21 AM   #142
Pentaxian
Chris_K's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Poland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,168
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Its the SMC FA to go with my fa 35mm f2
I'm very curious about your opinion regarding the FA 50/1.4, once you have it. My copy was somehow character-less from wide-open up to f/2.8. It's not that I expect super-sharpness from wide-open, but this one was simply bad. I liked the FA 50/1.7 much more.

06-18-2022, 04:51 AM   #143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lancaster
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,593
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_K Quote
I'm very curious about your opinion regarding the FA 50/1.4, once you have it. My copy was somehow character-less from wide-open up to f/2.8. It's not that I expect super-sharpness from wide-open, but this one was simply bad. I liked the FA 50/1.7 much more.
I will sic it next month then we shall see. I had a great month with the da 50mm f1.7, it will be interesting to see how this compares.
06-18-2022, 11:19 AM   #144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Minimonster's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2018
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 798
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Its the SMC FA to go with my fa 35mm f2
I have the FA 50/1.7 which is very nice. Enjoy the 1.4.
06-18-2022, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #145
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Riggomatic's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Auburn, Indiana
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,665
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
given the choice between the DA* 55/1.4 and the FA 43 - I'd take the 55/1.4 all week long and twice on Sunday..... love that lens....
I'm curious, what was it about the 43mm that you didn't like? I've never used one, and have been kicking the tires on them recently.
06-18-2022, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #146
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 34,193
QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
I'm curious, what was it about the 43mm that you didn't like? I've never used one, and have been kicking the tires on them recently.
for me, it was a direct comparison with the DA 40 Ltd...

both are sharp, colorful, etc.... but it's the little things that swayed me from the FA 43:

no quickshift

shorter MFD

and I liked the rendering in general of the DA 40 over the FA 43...

the advantages of the FA 43 were (and still are) lost on me: FF lens, and an aperture ring should I ever want to use it on a film camera...

now, granted, this was also three years ago when I used the FA 43 in the SIC, and I know that tastes change....


the DA* 55 is another galaxy for me - I bought lenses all the way around it before buying the 55, and it is just gorgeous...

I finally learned a solid lesson from the DA* 55: buy the lens you want, not the lens to fill that gap - you'll never be happy and you will eventually buy that one lens anyways.... so buy it up front and get on with it....
06-18-2022, 05:30 PM   #147
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Riggomatic's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Auburn, Indiana
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,665
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
for me, it was a direct comparison with the DA 40 Ltd...

both are sharp, colorful, etc.... but it's the little things that swayed me from the FA 43:

no quickshift

shorter MFD

and I liked the rendering in general of the DA 40 over the FA 43...

the advantages of the FA 43 were (and still are) lost on me: FF lens, and an aperture ring should I ever want to use it on a film camera...

now, granted, this was also three years ago when I used the FA 43 in the SIC, and I know that tastes change....


the DA* 55 is another galaxy for me - I bought lenses all the way around it before buying the 55, and it is just gorgeous...

I finally learned a solid lesson from the DA* 55: buy the lens you want, not the lens to fill that gap - you'll never be happy and you will eventually buy that one lens anyways.... so buy it up front and get on with it....
Thank you.

I'm comparing (on paper) the Irix 45, and the Pentax 43, and the fat 50 (all used models). I've been good, and haven't bought a lens in over a year, but may just hold off for now and keep my money buried in the Mason jars a little longer.
06-18-2022, 06:26 PM   #148
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 34,193
QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Thank you.

I'm comparing (on paper) the Irix 45, and the Pentax 43, and the fat 50 (all used models). I've been good, and haven't bought a lens in over a year, but may just hold off for now and keep my money buried in the Mason jars a little longer.
I was interested in the Irix 45 - but it is both manual focus and huge.... one of which I can live with, but both tend to make me cringe a bit.....
06-19-2022, 12:47 AM - 1 Like   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Jeff's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Berkshire, England
Posts: 672
QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Thank you.

I'm comparing (on paper) the Irix 45, and the Pentax 43, and the fat 50 (all used models). I've been good, and haven't bought a lens in over a year, but may just hold off for now and keep my money buried in the Mason jars a little longer.
I have the fat 50 and it is the best lens I have ever had, and still have. Heavier than most, but it does everything I ask of it.

It's not for everyone, but if you want stellar rendering of any scene, then it is for you. Bokeh? The best. Sharpness? The best. Heaviness? The best. ; )

I bought mine used, have a -9 fine adjustment on the K-1 and am looking forward to using it on the K3III - I have always coveted the 85 DFA* but that too heavy for me with my current arthritic condition so the 50 will do the job on apsc.


One more thing - I also have the 43 for when I need a slightly wider frame, and it is light too. I won't ever sell it either as it fits with how I like to frame the world about me - the 50 can be a little narrow tbh, but I put up with that for the reasons above.
06-19-2022, 01:03 AM - 1 Like   #150
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2021
Location: Tasmania
Posts: 79
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote

I finally learned a solid lesson from the DA* 55: buy the lens you want, not the lens to fill that gap - you'll never be happy and you will eventually buy that one lens anyways.... so buy it up front and get on with it....
Wise words indeed.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
canal, card, challenge, comment, credit, film, flickr, forum, fp4, frame, glass, hope, irix, june, kay, kp, lens, lightroom, pentax, photo, picture, pictures, plm, post, proof, root, safety, sheet, shots, thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thematic Single in May 2022 babywriter Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 246 06-04-2022 04:21 AM
Game Single in April 2022 babywriter Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 130 05-01-2022 11:01 AM
Game Single in March 2022 babywriter Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 111 04-01-2022 05:00 PM
Caption Contest Photo Caption contest starting March 06, 2022 ending March 14 2022 aslyfox Weekly Photo Challenges 14 03-15-2022 05:28 AM
Game Single in February 2022 babywriter Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 148 03-01-2022 08:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:31 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top