Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 225 Likes Search this Thread
06-26-2022, 07:17 PM - 3 Likes   #196

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
The flooding at our summer place is now to a point where it is safe for us to be here. The “high tide” mark has left the equivalent to a bath ring on the lake edge and deposited what can only be called a foul smelling sludge in the form of inches of silt on the ground. We hope to get the outdoor pump going and use the lake water to hose down the worst places - our 2 storage sheds are in a terrible state and we lost our paddle boat as the high water to it to places unknown. We are lucky even though we were the lowest lying cottage we didn’t suffer any structural damage but it was very very close. Others have lost boat houses and all the things they stored there. Mother Nature is weird. When we packed up to go home last fall the lake was the lowest we and many others had seen. We use well water and were worried about the drought and it its affect on the water table. If you had said we would be flooded out and prevented from even getting here we would have laughed. We ain’t laughing now, but it is all good. I even got a shot in for today!

06-27-2022, 04:35 PM - 3 Likes   #197

Photos: Albums
The Vivitar 17/3.5 has been a challenge. There's a lot of vignette, the flare can be good if you are lucky, pretty sharp, but don't go past f11. Wide angles have never been my favourites, and I haven't done it justice this month, I had a better run with it in Feb '21. Still, onward and upward.
Some of my favourites:

06-28-2022, 12:22 AM   #198
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
The flooding at our summer place is now to a point where it is safe for us to be here. The “high tide” mark has left the equivalent to a bath ring on the lake edge and deposited what can only be called a foul smelling sludge in the form of inches of silt on the ground. We hope to get the outdoor pump going and use the lake water to hose down the worst places - our 2 storage sheds are in a terrible state and we lost our paddle boat as the high water to it to places unknown. We are lucky even though we were the lowest lying cottage we didn’t suffer any structural damage but it was very very close. Others have lost boat houses and all the things they stored there. Mother Nature is weird. When we packed up to go home last fall the lake was the lowest we and many others had seen. We use well water and were worried about the drought and it its affect on the water table. If you had said we would be flooded out and prevented from even getting here we would have laughed. We ain’t laughing now, but it is all good. I even got a shot in for today!

Gawd - what a trial. I’m glad you didn’t suffer structural damage, but it sounds like a helluva lot of work and stress nonetheless.
06-28-2022, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #199
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@bigted - My good thoughts go out to you. I live in Houston, Texas where folks have had more than their share of flooding, so I know what you have been going through. Stay strong and positive.

06-29-2022, 02:45 PM - 4 Likes   #200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, i managed the film single in. i had a few duplicates and some nasty shots the ricoh 35 rf isnt the sharpest and the EZ400 (fomapan 400) is a bit nasty but hey. i may do it again next month but this time it will be with my spotmatic

Word of warning, dont pixel peep
06-29-2022, 10:17 PM   #201
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Ok, i managed the film single in. i had a few duplicates and some nasty shots the ricoh 35 rf isnt the sharpest and the EZ400 (fomapan 400) is a bit nasty but hey. i may do it again next month but this time it will be with my spotmatic

Woohoo! Well done and congratulations. This is quite epic.

I knew you were talking about doing a film SIC recently, however did not realise that it was happening. I kind of follow along when I'm not actively involved, although in a 'now and then' relaxed way and obviously missed this essential event.
I apologize that I haven't been cheering for you throughout the month. I look at the shots all together now and there are some really lovely images. Even more so, the whole album ties together and connects wonderfully well as a series, and presents as one of the most cohesive month of shots that I recall seeing.
06-29-2022, 11:37 PM   #202
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikey Floyd Quote
Woohoo! Well done and congratulations. This is quite epic.

I knew you were talking about doing a film SIC recently, however did not realise that it was happening. I kind of follow along when I'm not actively involved, although in a 'now and then' relaxed way and obviously missed this essential event.
I apologize that I haven't been cheering for you throughout the month. I look at the shots all together now and there are some really lovely images. Even more so, the whole album ties together and connects wonderfully well as a series, and presents as one of the most cohesive month of shots that I recall seeing.
Thanks I wasn't sure where to post them. Going in to each day seemed a bit pointless as the likelihood of anyone going back in 30 times to view a new image is highly unlikely as we all have lives lolol it was good because I knew I had one shot that day (a Mikey Floyd original idea ) the Ricoh was a bit soft. The images are fine for printing 7x5 but anything bigger is a bit hmmmmm. I have a 36 exposure roll of Agent shadow (a cool name for Kentmere 400) in my Pentax SP1000 so I am ready to go again but as it is an ilc I would have to plump for one lens, much like a month with a Pentax digital. I have a lovely takumar 35mm, that could be interesting. I am shooting 50mm on my apsc so 35mm on a full frame (35mm) would give a different perspective. I will have a think about that one

06-30-2022, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #203
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done, I was naughty and pixel peeped Always fun to set and meet a challenge
06-30-2022, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #204
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks I wasn't sure where to post them. Going in to each day seemed a bit pointless as the likelihood of anyone going back in 30 times to view a new image is highly unlikely as we all have lives
As the film SIC shots tend to come in late and in groups, it might be handy to build a monthly photo thread for film participants, so that instead of regular daily threads, they post all the shots of the month in a single thread and just number the shot per day. That way it would not mess daily posting rhytm of the challenge and also film shots would be easily viewed without jumping from thread to an other. Does that make any sence?
06-30-2022, 04:35 AM   #205
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
As the film SIC shots tend to come in late and in groups, it might be handy to build a monthly photo thread for film participants, so that instead of regular daily threads, they post all the shots of the month in a single thread and just number the shot per day. That way it would not mess daily posting rhytm of the challenge and also film shots would be easily viewed without jumping from thread to an other. Does that make any sence?
I tried to set-up something like this a while back, and something did get going but then died again. The group still exists, it has just been moribund for quite a while.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/groups/222-film-shooter-challenge/
06-30-2022, 04:46 AM   #206
Pentaxian

Third proof sheet. It could have been another thirty if I had included all of missy-moo’s drawings I photographed on Sunday - but I chose not to. They’re hers, not mine to share (though I am using one for my day’s pic, so it is in this proof sheet too).

Proofs3 by -Occasionally Focused-

---------- Post added 30th Jun 2022 at 09:48 PM ----------

And these are super-fab
06-30-2022, 04:51 AM   #207
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I tried to set-up something like this a while back, and something did get going but then died again. The group still exists, it has just been moribund for quite a while.

Film Shooter Challenge - PentaxForums.com
I ment mine within the SIC group and simply because I'm lazy to go thru multible threads when someone has fallen back on schedule and dumbs a big load of shots in one day. It would be easier to go thru the shots if they all were in one thread.
06-30-2022, 08:58 AM   #208
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I contributed to the death of this group - for which I apologize. I love the idea, but could not sustain it personally.
06-30-2022, 01:18 PM   #209
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

So a second month with M35/2 on K1ii is done and this time it was a lot easier. Last time I tried to force the lens to my shooting. This time I played much more with it's strengths. I didn't try to be fancy, but shot a lot at f8 with focus at infinity.

This was one of my favorite lenses on APSC, but on FF the corner performance is the problem. This time I purposefully chose to shoot the way it doesn't bother and month went smootly. In reality I demand more from my lenses nowadays and I think I rather take some 50 or 28 for my landscape.
06-30-2022, 01:22 PM   #210
Pentaxian

Great job, Peter, and very interesting images
I started a film SiC (ME Super, M 35/2.8; Ilford Pan 50) but it collapsed around June 12th due to lack of time. I'm going to finish the roll and post the most interesting shots somewhere in the bw film section.