Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2022, 02:42 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Well, I have had a disaster. I dropped the bag my kp was in, now the focus ring on the 40 is jammed solid. So, that's going off to be fixed. While its away I am going to switch to the 35mm limited. I just need to make sure the camera is OK. The **** thing only dropped a couple of feet!

AAAARRRRRRRRGH! Too close to my March (last year) experience - when the guy smacked it out of my hand. Landed with the DA21 on it #reallyscary

It must have avoided the lens, and just handed heavy camera side down.

Either way something breaks and needs to go away for repair; I hope yours really is just that ring and all is ok soon.

06-06-2022, 04:56 AM   #62
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ouch, that hurts to hear! I lost a K-5 and a lens to a similar drop.

Reasons I now always have a wrist strap, and all my camera bags are padded.
06-06-2022, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Reasons I now always have a wrist strap, and all my camera bags are padded.
Same here. I can't imagine going out with a camera without a wrist strap. The Peak Design strap works great for me as it can be easily switched between cameras.
06-06-2022, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_K Quote
Same here. I can't imagine going out with a camera without a wrist strap. The Peak Design strap works great for me as it can be easily switched between cameras.
Same here. So easy to snap on and off and know that your camera is safe from The Drop!

06-06-2022, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Count me as a member of the wrist-strap club as well.

In fact, these days I have double protection as along with the wrist strap, I now use a Cotton Carrier which has its own safety strap.

By the way, I have the Cotton Carrier to be a wonderful way for a guy who hates neck straps to carry a camera. I started using it as I sometimes have to use my cane to get around, and I wanted to free my hands.
06-06-2022, 09:39 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, Manitoba, Canada
I use wrist straps too. My K-3 has a Camdapter (camdapter.com) and because Campdapter won’t ship to Canada I have a Peak Design strap for my K-1. For carrying I have a strap that doesn’t seem to be available anymore called a Camstrap. It is based on the shoulder harnesses one uses for binoculars. Since it uses the O rings used for key rings to connect to the camera I bough additional O rings for the K-1 so I can use it on both bodies. I wouldn’t need 2 straps since I can only carry one at a time - and in all honesty one body at a time is all I can handle.
06-06-2022, 08:12 PM - 2 Likes   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Count me as a member of the wrist-strap club as well.

In fact, these days I have double protection as along with the wrist strap, I now use a Cotton Carrier which has its own safety strap.

By the way, I have the Cotton Carrier to be a wonderful way for a guy who hates neck straps to carry a camera. I started using it as I sometimes have to use my cane to get around, and I wanted to free my hands.
Just this evening the safety strap on my Cotton Carrier saved me. I was careless putting the camera back into the carrier, catching the fitting on my high visibility vest. The camera went down and was stopped by the CC safety strap. Without the strap, the camera would have fallen onto concrete.

06-07-2022, 01:18 AM   #68

Photos: Albums
I use a shoulder sling. The camera attaches by a screw into the tripod hole and just hangs down by your side ready for immediate use. Also, for added safety, there is a cord that joins the sling to one of the neck strap connectors. This has saved the camera from an unfortunate plunge a couple of times over years when the screw has unscrewed.
06-07-2022, 02:31 AM   #69
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I typically go strapless and keep camera in bag if not in hand.
06-07-2022, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a strap on mine, a rather nice peak design one. I was carrying some shopping into the house and had popped the camera into a bag. That one was the one that slipped out of my hand. The one full of vegetables, that was fine....! Grumble grumble grumble
06-07-2022, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I seem to be rather out of step in using a neck strap. It means I have both hands free when swapping lenses. And I have a lot of Lowepro cases and bags.
06-07-2022, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Minimonster Quote
I seem to be rather out of step in using a neck strap. It means I have both hands free when swapping lenses. And I have a lot of Lowepro cases and bags.
Me too. I use optech ones with a neoprene shoulder pad.
06-07-2022, 01:05 PM   #73
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Minimonster Quote
not out of step at all - I only use a Peak Design strap, never a hand strap....
06-07-2022, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Me too. I use optech ones with a neoprene shoulder pad.
I just use the Pentax ones that come with the cameras...

---------- Post added 07-06-22 at 01:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
not out of step at all - I only use a Peak Design strap, never a hand strap....
I've only used a handstrap on little cameras like the GRiii
06-07-2022, 01:34 PM   #75
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the full-size Slide for my DSLR's and a lighter strap for my Fuji bodies...