Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2022, 05:36 AM - 3 Likes   #76
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've been trying to sell the idea of a trip to Australia to my wife, but she ain't too keen In any case I don't think we have budget for it while she keeps a horse. He tends to eat all travel plans

07-05-2022, 09:49 AM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
I've been trying to sell the idea of a trip to Australia to my wife, but she ain't too keen In any case I don't think we have budget for it while she keeps a horse. He tends to eat all travel plans
We have wild horses (and camels) surely a selling point, just don't mention the snakes/spiders.............
07-05-2022, 10:20 AM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the B/SELFIES day, what is B?
07-05-2022, 10:26 AM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That would be a Belfie - generally speaking the Backside view

07-05-2022, 10:28 AM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by W412ren Quote
That would be a Belfie - generally speaking the Backside view
Ha, thanks
07-05-2022, 12:58 PM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NatureHike Quote
Ha, thanks
...and once you've seen the reason for said nomenclature (B/SELFIES), you'd be hard-pressed to forget it.

Ever.
07-05-2022, 01:16 PM   #82
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
But when all is said and done (and I HATE to admit it) the USA is/are bigger
If you don't include Alaska then Australia is slightly bigger .

Canada is bigger still.

07-05-2022, 06:54 PM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Yesterday we made the appointment to have Bailey pts. We have cancelled it because we are not ready. He is firmly in the red zone but we just can't let him go, yet! How do people who have had a number of dogs go through this every time!

:’( That’s making me properly sad. Big hugs and aroha from me and the mrs, Peter.

---------- Post added 6th Jul 2022 at 11:56 AM ----------

No rain at all in the Adelaide Hills for the last couple of days, and it has been a pretty wet winter so far.

The floods are 1000km away. I do wonder how Raf is faring, on the other hand....

Faring fairly (f)wet. Not bad though - thankfully we had all that drainage put in over the last couple of years - which we’ve had numerous occasions since to appreciate.

---------- Post added 6th Jul 2022 at 12:04 PM ----------

I sincerely hope your itinerary can include a brief stay in the Adelaide Hills. Free bed and board, and a guided tour of the local wineries (and my cellar).

Likewise the Blue Mountains
07-05-2022, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #84
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote

Yesterday we made the appointment to have Bailey pts. We have cancelled it because we are not ready. He is firmly in the red zone but we just can't let him go, yet! How do people who have had a number of dogs go through this every time!
I am sorry to read this, Peter, and I hope that you can remain strong enough to have the infirmities and pain removed from Bailey; it's an odd thing to type and to read, but I feel that we have a responsibility to all our pets that when it is time, we are strong enough to allow it to happen....

my wife and I have been married for over thirty years and we have always had multiple dogs in the house - we don't have children, so they have become our kids (and I don't care if you find that creepy - I've heard all the snide remarks about it)...

one year, we lost three (health and old age)... it was devastating...

the pain does lessen over time - that's the only way we continue to do it to ourselves...

each and every time, we both go to the vet with the dog - I refuse to let them go in a room surrounded by strangers.... our vet cremates them and gives us back an urn, which I normally bury...
07-05-2022, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I am sorry to read this, Peter, and I hope that you can remain strong enough to have the infirmities and pain removed from Bailey; it's an odd thing to type and to read, but I feel that we have a responsibility to all our pets that when it is time, we are strong enough to allow it to happen....

my wife and I have been married for over thirty years and we have always had multiple dogs in the house - we don't have children, so they have become our kids (and I don't care if you find that creepy - I've heard all the snide remarks about it)...

the pain does lessen over time - that's the only way we continue to do it to ourselves...

each and every time, we both go to the vet with the dog - I refuse to let them go in a room surrounded by strangers.... our vet cremates them and gives us back an urn, which I normally bury...

Really nicely put. It has made for some of the hardest things my wife and I have done, but it is important that we take on that burden, to spare our companions theirs.
07-06-2022, 12:04 AM   #86
Pentaxian

So sorry to read about Bailey. Others have been eloquent in capturing how many of us feel when we have to let our companions go, and I echo their words.
07-06-2022, 12:15 AM - 1 Like   #87
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

There are things that just need to be done. When we had to let our previous horse go, it was all very sudden like it always is with horse colic. Condition goes worse very fast and when treatment didn't work in couple of days, we needed to make decicion fast. As this is not uncommon with horses the decicion actually had been made in advance and it was just a matter of accepting the fact. Still it hurt, but there was no point to let it suffer more.
07-06-2022, 12:23 AM - 4 Likes   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for that Mike. He has perked up a fair bit and is enjoying life a bit more. He won't leave the red zone because he is fifteen but we are watching him like a hawk to make sure he isn't suffering in any way. When its time, I will be holding him when he goes although just the thought of that does me in. Dogs grow up with us, support and communicate with us. They are intelligent and empathic. They make us get up and out most of my images were taken on walkies and he made me go to places I wouldn't have seen. I think anyone who doesn't understand that a dog is a valid household member and alternative to a child just isn't thinking about it hard enough. It doesn't look like we will get grand children so grand doggies will have to do, and they do...do as for our next hairy child, we are saying never again, but we are dog people. I just know a hairy whackadoodle will need some love and we will sign up for another ten years, although Bailey will be a very hard act to follow.
07-06-2022, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My name is not Usher.
I do have some bottles of Amontillado. No casks.
Thank you for the invitation, I do hope I'll be able to take you up on it, and I will let you know.

---------- Post added 07-06-22 at 11:40 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
Likewise the Blue Mountains
Thank you as well, I do hope I'll be able to see as much as possible, but even more than seeing new places, I would really enjoy meeting both you and Sandy in person..
07-06-2022, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #90
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad to hear Bailey has perked up a bit, I hope the best for him and you both
I feel a little guilty that I have yet to mention beds and sustenance ( but sadly no wine cellar) are available for those passing through Gippsland on their path from the Blue Mountains to Adelaide