Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 216 Likes Search this Thread
07-13-2022, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by W412ren Quote
Hope they are able to salvage it for you

In other news ...
My shiny but second hand DA*300 turned up yesterday and I eagerly unpacked it only to find the focus ring is completely stuffed. Jams, scrapes or doesn't turn at all!
Most unlike SRS so I figure it got bashed in delivery.
Anyway, sorted over the phone today and I have an open box lens (slightly more cash) arriving tomorrow and they'll pick the dud up at the same time.
Can't complain about the service.
How annoying. I, too, use SRS and have never had a complaint.

07-13-2022, 02:47 PM   #107
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
Sorry to hear about the bad 300 but at least you have a replacement.

I too use SRS (went to the Pentax 100th there) and have found them nothing but professional and with excellent service. Perhaps we'll see the new lens being used for a SiC one of these days!
I was at the 100th bash too. I wondered what happened with the set of photos they took of us all?
07-13-2022, 11:25 PM   #108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I was at the 100th bash too. I wondered what happened with the set of photos they took of us all?
We/someone should ask!
07-14-2022, 02:47 PM - 4 Likes   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well the good news is that the replacement DA* 300 turned up today and appears to be working correctly so far. The duff one was collected at the same time so kudos to SRS (and Parcelforce) for sorting it all so quickly.

Now comes the hard part - the learning curve!

07-14-2022, 02:48 PM - 3 Likes   #110
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by W412ren Quote
Well the good news is that the replacement DA* 300 turned up today and appears to be working correctly so far. The duff one was collected at the same time so kudos to SRS (and Parcelforce) for sorting it all so quickly.

Now comes the hard part - the learning curve!

no no no - that's the fun part!

(:
07-15-2022, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #111
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

that's right - check your calendar: it's the Mid-Month Check In!

did you pick the right lens this month - how is your progress with it?

wrong lens? tell us why!
07-15-2022, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote

wrong lens? tell us why!
I picked my favourite lens to go with the K-3III: the 35mm f/2.8 Macro...very little it cannot do (I think the only thing it can't do is zoom!) and sharp everywhere.

Treated with care the bokeh is very pleasant.

If it was 30mm I'd be happier as I find the 53mm FF equivalent a tad tight sometimes, but otherwise it's been wonderful.

I'll have to have a good think about what to use in August as I've been spoiled this month!

07-15-2022, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wrong lens? tell us why!
I'm enjoying my pick, but figuring out what to take a picture of some days is definitely reminding me why I shoot so much macro! That being said, I know I'll get out most days with a macro lens regardless, so it's fun taking a different kind of picture than I usually do.
07-15-2022, 08:44 AM - 2 Likes   #114

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
I’m in my favourite place, with my favourite lens combo, on my new favourite camera taking pictures of mostly my favourite subjects - birds and critters- what’s not to like?

In all seriousness it’s still been a bit of a learning curve as I understand my K-1. It’s been easier to compare how different the K-1 is to the K-3 now that I’m here and wait for it…and I’m in my favourite place, with my favourite lens combo, on my new favourite camera taking pictures of mostly my favourite subjects - birds and critters. I’m very happy with my combo. I’ll be even happier when I can get on the water and get some different shots. Oh and if we had a whole lot less biting flies and mosquitoes.
07-15-2022, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #115
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

I came home today to stay one night before I'm out of the door again. As I was here I wanted to edit and post todays shot. Not the most inspiring shot ever, more of a safety, but I do have a lot better shots waiting for editing on the hard drive from previous week. We did have a nice road trip in area we call Lake Finland. The area is roughly determined by more than 50% of surface being covered in water. So there might be water visible in some shots
Anyhow the point is that I got shots for each day and they will be delivered during this month. I'll probably unload by posting one old shot and current day shot per day in order to avoid big dump. I'll get on it on Sunday or Monday I believe.

Oh and I answer the mid month feelings a little later also.
07-15-2022, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #116
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

wrong lens? tell us why!
I'm enjoying the 35mm lens! Plenty sharp wide open, and stopped down a click or two. A nice compact lens, with a decent minimum focus distance to keep me happy.
07-15-2022, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm on the fence with the DA* 55/1.4. It's awesome at times but then pretty awful at others. Honestly, I'm a little disappointed and am considering sending it back and I am not certain it was worth the considerable outlay...
07-15-2022, 03:13 PM   #118
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Minimonster Quote
I'm on the fence with the DA* 55/1.4. It's awesome at times but then pretty awful at others. Honestly, I'm a little disappointed and am considering sending it back and I am not certain it was worth the considerable outlay...
really - would you be willing to show the awful shots?
07-15-2022, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

really - would you be willing to show the awful shots?
I'll have a look...
07-15-2022, 04:10 PM - 3 Likes   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mid month report? I've become a lens snob, even moredo than I'd previously thought I had been. It's a personal characteristic of mine to research and find the best within a certain level of cost to myself factored by what I can afford and what I deem realistic to my usage. The K55/1.8 sits uneasily in my bag as while it is perfectly capable and competent it also lacks the ability to be sublime like the other lenses in my bag.

In the realm of 55s on the Pentax K mount, I prefer it over the DA* purely because I can focus it faster and it is an easier package to carry around. The DA* has nicer bokeh, is sharper, better flare handling but weaker in dealing with purple fringing, whereas the K55 will also throw in some green fringing to keep it interesting.

Like I've said, it's early to use, easy to handle, easy to find and very cheap for what it is. I'd prefer it any day over one of the 50/1.7s and even the 50/1.4s for portraiture on APSC. Its weakness is the low blade count for aperture which can produce dubious bokeh and green fringing in high contrast scenes and a high ish MFD which I'd previously not noticed before but it is sticking out like a sore thumb this month.

Where I still need to show off and investigate is its rendering which iirc is different to the other K's (28/3.5, 35/3.5, 50/1.4, 85/1 8) in that it has a very distinct look that is darker / richer than its siblings. Today's shot has a hint of it.