Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2022, 12:05 AM - 3 Likes   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, the FA50mm f1.4 was, in part, something to soften the blow of losing my 40mm limited and it has performed so well that I don't miss that lens at all. Bearing in mind this is a cheap fast 50 (£120) I have found it to be sharp, the oof bokeh is nice although the bokegons are a bit clunky, focusing is fast and accurate, colour render is really good and I have seen little fringing, its small and light and frankly, quite excellent. It lacks that extra je ne sais quoi that the limiteds, particularly the 15, 21 & 20-40 have, but its still tremendous. So, yeah, a good month so far.

I haven't been commenting, huge apologies but lately there aren't enough hours in the day. Blame it on my obsession with film.

This month I am also using the sic to learn Photoshop. Boy have I overdeveloped some images lolol

I am also doing a film sic with my spotmatic SP1000, my Takumar 35mm f3.5 and a roll of Agent Shadow (cool name for repackaged Kentmere 400). Whilst I don't have a clue as to whether any shots are up to the mark, it is really good because, like Mikey Floyd, I have one shot per day so have to try and make it a belter

I am quite surprised about Keith's ( @Minimonster) opinion of the DA* 55mm f1.4, having said that, I don't think it sings for everyone. It was top of my wish list and is still high up but the SDM worries me a bit too so it has been replaced by the FA43mm limited. It'll be interesting to see where and why you feel it failed.

07-16-2022, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #122
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mid Month check in has me performing poorly due to limited time, light, work and personal life. The lens has suffered because of this, however when I have had some time to actually really use the lens it has performed very well. The wide range of 35-210mm does make it a practical walk around lens. At certain apertures it does seem to lose sharpness around the edges of the frame but nothing too severe.The minimum focus distance is longer than I prefer, however it does have a Macro setting at 210mm which can help with the late night indoor safety shots.
Hopefully the second half of the month will have some more free time allowing me to comment on others photos
07-16-2022, 03:31 PM - 2 Likes   #123
Pentaxian

Mid-month with the other plastic fantastic: the DA50mm f1.8…

Lovely. I am really happy with this lens. Not so much with my performance, I guess, but the lens is really nice. It’s funny: I have it in my head that I love the 50 mm focal length on APS-C, but every time I spend a month with it in recent years I’m just not sure about it. Maybe it’s that ambivalence coming through in some of the pics; another thing was working from home the week before last due to train mess-ups, and this week due to (mild and eventually not COVID) not-quite-wellness.

Still, I’ve managed a few shots I’m happy with, and the lens performs well.
07-20-2022, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #124
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So the mid month report as promised. Fujinon 55/1.8 seems to be solid fifty. Sharp, decent bokeh and all. My complains are related to M42 boyonet and they are made worse by lense being auto and not preset. Viewfinder is pretty dark at times. Regardless of how good the rendering is, Lens won't be my favorite. Still it's pleasing enough to shoot for a month.

07-21-2022, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #125

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Sorry I fell off the wagon -or dropped off the face of the earth. I had company come for the week and I lost my photography room (it has the sleeper/sofa) and time just sailed on by. We had a good time and that’s the important part. So I probably won’t catch up but I will work on keeping caught up for the rest of the month.
07-21-2022, 02:34 PM   #126
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
Sorry I fell off the wagon -or dropped off the face of the earth. I had company come for the week and I lost my photography room (it has the sleeper/sofa) and time just sailed on by. We had a good time and that’s the important part. So I probably won’t catch up but I will work on keeping caught up for the rest of the month.

No stress. Time is the thing more so than pictures of time
07-25-2022, 12:22 AM - 3 Likes   #127
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been in holiday mode. Just posting the shots has been challenge enough. So sorry for my lack of commenting. I'm so far behind, that I won't even try to catch up. I'll just check the best shots from your end of the month wrap up

07-25-2022, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #128
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I've made it. No mid month report from me but this month has been far busier than I was expecting; but I have just finishing getting back up to speed on the commenting - think I caught everything but no double-checking allowed

With luck it will be plain sailing to the end of the month now.
07-25-2022, 08:06 PM - 3 Likes   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
August thread is up:

Single in August 2022 - PentaxForums.com
07-25-2022, 08:55 PM   #130
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote

Thank you again so much 8)
07-25-2022, 09:12 PM   #131
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

sweet!!

thank you...
07-26-2022, 03:29 AM   #132
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you!
07-26-2022, 06:38 AM - 2 Likes   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm trimming down my collection. Single's in people get special pricing so if you like anything, PM directly. My 43 has gone missing on its trip to Germany. Hope is fading, I was very fond of that lens. It was the oldest to me lens in my collection.

Last edited by robbiec; 07-29-2022 at 02:41 PM.
07-27-2022, 02:13 PM   #134
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
I'm trimming down my collection. Single's in people get special pricing so if you like anything, PM directly. My 43 has goner missing on its trip to Germany. Hope is fading, I was very fond of that lens. It was the oldest to me lens in my collection.
That's pretty sad :-(
07-28-2022, 07:10 AM - 2 Likes   #135
Pentaxian

Have been erratic in posting because I've been busy preparing: we're off to France on Friday for a week, staying near Confolens in the south west, a rural/agricultural part of the country. Might make a day trip to Limoges to see what it is about.

Not sure what the lens for next month will be but I'll take it with me - perhaps I'll go for the 18-135 on the K3III. I'm also taking the 21 and 35 ltds...and that's it. One small bag. Oh, and a polarising filter for the 21 and 35.

I would take my K-1 and the 31,43 and 77 trio but I don't have it at the moment...I'll relate the story either when I'm back or if I get time when sitting idly next to the pool. : )