Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2022, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #61
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
any objections to jumping in late with my fixed 43?
do it!!

08-10-2022, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Any objections to jumping in late with my fixed 43?
Jump on into the pool!
08-11-2022, 12:50 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Any objections to jumping in late with my fixed 43?

None at all 8)
08-11-2022, 08:41 AM - 3 Likes   #64
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Finally managed to look thru the shots from last week and tomorrow I'm off for the weekend again. I'll try to post on Sunday.

08-11-2022, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having the 43 back again is a revelation, it and the K-1 and me I guess, just morph into a photographic taking entity - it goes without saying that it still would be the last lens standing. Saying that, I'm close to chasing down one of my personal unicorns, a 200/4 Macro
08-11-2022, 06:01 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Saying that, I'm close to chasing down one of my personal unicorns, a 200/4 Macro
Speaking of chasing down lenses, does anyone have experience, or a reasonably informed opinion on this Sigma 50-500 lens? I want a zoom beyond the 300mm lens I already own. My longest lens is a Tokina 500mm Mirro, which is OK, but not suitable for many circumstances. This Sigma seems to be a good option, if the price is right.
08-13-2022, 04:41 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter

Having the 43 back again is a revelation, it and the K-1 and me I guess, just morph into a photographic taking entity - it goes without saying that it still would be the last lens standing. Saying that, I'm close to chasing down one of my personal unicorns, a 200/4 Macro
OMG , you are going to prise it out of someone's cold dead hands after all, congratulations

08-13-2022, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Alas, Friday was too busy, I missed taking a picture for SIC, though I did get an iPhone picture for the Daily In.
08-15-2022, 03:59 AM   #69
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Mid-Month Check In!

that's right - made it to the middle of the month....

I was lucky enough to be exposed to Covid-19 earlier in the month, so still dealing with the lingering symptoms of that.....

the Macro-Tak 100/4 is a wonderful lens, but the focal length is wearing on me a bit....

so - how's your month?

did you pick the right lens for August, or are you just treading water until next month?
08-15-2022, 04:12 AM - 1 Like   #70
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
so - how's your month?

did you pick the right lens for August, or are you just treading water until next month?
Yashica 60mm f2.8 Macro Yashinon Tomioka is a wonderful glass. Very sharp 1:1 macro with nice rendering. Pleasure to use. Work and windsurfing just steel my time and on too many days the shots are just quick snaps just before darkness. I'm afraid none of my shots so far is in any way meaningful outside the challenge.
08-15-2022, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #71
Pentaxian

So my Porst Color reflex 55/1.2 seems to be a lovely piece of glass. Obviously, what I was most interested in was the wide-open performance and although nailing the focus can be challenging, it gives this nice dreamy feel I expected to get. Stopped down it performs very well, too. I've been using a lens hood from day one and don't notice any dramatic flaws when shooting against the sun or in a harsh front/side light. The colours are pleasant, sharpness is fine... I'm good
Otherwise, I'm still on a holiday so I usually find the time for shooting without too much rush. September might be tough, though. Tomorrow I leave for a couple of days so I probably won't be posting daily. I don't want to drag my laptop with me and posting via ImageSync / Google drive using my tablet is simply too slow for my taste. I don't want to dig out several threads up when I'm back so I'm going to post maybe 2-3 best shots.
08-15-2022, 05:10 AM - 2 Likes   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me, I have almost 3 rolls of film exposed (2 color, 1 mono) but I am sure that film is not for me as daily shooter. It is great for some of my more "artsy" days when I want to do things slowly and create a good photograph. But not as daily medium.

Camera is decent but Spotmaitc lightmeter is pain to use, I want to complete all rolls using it, but if I ever pick up this camera again I'll go out with handheld light meter. 35mm is cool focal length. I would not mind having 23mm DA lens for my K-3/3. About rendering of Flektogon - we will see when I get film back from lab, from my times with Zenit 12XP it was pretty good one. Maybe I get adapter for PK and try it when using tripod at night. Should give decent results.
08-15-2022, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #73
Loyal Site Supporter

The original Macro Takumar 50mm f4 is a great little lens, the party trick of extending to 1:1 makes it very handy. While winter still holds on it has been handy for those shots when I get home from work having taken nothing all day. Looking forward to improving the nut behind the lens for the second half of the month
08-15-2022, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was amazed with the DA*55 after my first picture posted! Great colors and detail. I can deal with or use the vignetting, which really isn't bad on the K-1 at 1.4. I don't think it deserves a "D" in the lens database for f1.4. A "C" at most.
08-15-2022, 02:52 PM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

15 days with D FA 50mm f/2.8 macro

I bought this a couple of years back for its true-macro design. I have rarely used it before this month's challenge.
I've actually been most surprised (so far) by the landscapes I've taken with it. I generally shoot landscapes with a wider lens than 50mm so I'm probably mostly re-learning how versatile a 50mm is even on an APSC camera.

I am also very pleased with the color rendition and the details that the lens captures, at least when stopped down to f/5.6 or beyond. (I'm not saying that either color or detail drops off when opened wider than f/5.6; I just haven't taken enough low-light pictures with this lens to form an opinion.)

I haven't really been pursuing either very close macro shots or low-light level shots, although I'm creeping closer.
Speaking of creeping closer, compared to my D FA 100mm f/2.8 macro (the lens I used for "single in April"), with the 50 mm, there is appreciably less blur caused by hand-held-lens movement. That lets me use a slower shutter speed, which has its advantages at times.

So far, the lens lives "up" ("down"?) to its reputation of having relatively poor AF. This is not really a problem either for landscapes (AF@infinity) or macros (MF). In between, there is a fair amount of rather noisy hunting, even in bright light. This is very, very noticeable after the lens I used last month: the HD DA*16-50 PLM. No surprise to anyone who's shot with one of the PLM lenses: they are blazingly and silently fast.