Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 120 Likes Search this Thread
09-13-2022, 08:14 PM - 3 Likes   #61
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
That’s probably part of it; also work is just being rather pressured and annoying at times lately, and I’m just rushing in to my office, working, rushing then to the station and getting home … rinse and repeat.

Maybe the zoom/telephoto ain’t sitting right either.

I quite like the training diary idea, but again: wrong lens. On that though: I went to the UFC gym close by the hospital yesterday and did some karate training. It was excellent.
I like the idea that you are fearless, the nice red pop works well too
I hear what you say about, "Work Home Rinse Repeat", so I gave my 4 weeks notice 3.5 weeks ago and am heading down the relieving route for work rather than full time, sort of part of the so called great resignation. This morning I too tested positive to Covid 19 so now that last half week will be spent at home in isolation! So as I will now be travelling around the countryside with work, my photo opportunities should increase and I hope that sparks my own photo journey.

09-14-2022, 12:31 AM - 2 Likes   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Single in September 2022

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
I hear what you say about, "Work Home Rinse Repeat", so I gave my 4 weeks notice 3.5 weeks ago and am heading down the relieving route for work rather than full time, sort of part of the so called great resignation. This morning I too tested positive to Covid 19 so now that last half week will be spent at home in isolation! So as I will now be travelling around the countryside with work, my photo opportunities should increase and I hope that sparks my own photo journey.

Wow! That’s a big move. Bugger about the COVID; I hope it turns out a mild bout. And likewise I hope that the new way turns out well.

I do really enjoy my job, and the people I work with - don’t get me wrong; just it’s all a lot. At times anyway, and I guess it’s a time now.

My response then? Monday lunchtimes karate keiko (training) in the UFC gym by work; Tuesday evening sessions with my personal trainer in the local-ish gym; Thursday lunchtimes weights ‘n’ stuff at the UFC gym; Saturday mornings gym workout (local-ish) followed by keiko in the big group fitness room at the gym; Sundays keiko at home.

That should keep me busy and out of trouble anyway.
09-14-2022, 01:10 AM - 1 Like   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did relief work after being made redundant. So long as you don't mind travelling (audio books helped, I learned Spanish ) it really opens up the opportunities. The very best of luck
09-14-2022, 01:16 AM - 1 Like   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I did relief work after being made redundant. So long as you don't mind travelling (audio books helped, I learned Spanish ) it really opens up the opportunities. The very best of luck
Thanks , I have done 10 years of relieving work previously , I compared my pay packet full time vs part time and I can make more money just working 3 days a week and all care no responsibility , easy choice
Hmm now which language to learn

09-14-2022, 01:20 AM - 2 Likes   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
That’s probably part of it; also work is just being rather pressured and annoying at times lately, and I’m just rushing in to my office, working, rushing then to the station and getting home … rinse and repeat.

Maybe the zoom/telephoto ain’t sitting right either.

I quite like the training diary idea, but again: wrong lens. On that though: I went to the UFC gym close by the hospital yesterday and did some karate training. It was excellent.
It may say fearless, but I am scared .... You could always grab your safety nice and early then put the 21mm on and shoot just for the pleasure of shooting (screw heads, litter bins, graffiti, road signs and ... Shopping trolleys). I get quite depressed when I don't shoot, I tend to feel like the day is a bit pointless, that's why I have always said the dic & sic are good for my health, they genuinely are! Film has taken over my life and I have some beautiful gear that is a joy to use, that's part of the reason why I am doing the dic rather than the sic. Although, I could have done another sic with the 20-40mm limited I bought from @SandyHancock last year. I love it so much. Maybe I should follow your lead Raf and do a whole year anyway, I just thought I would pop in and see how you are all doing

---------- Post added 14-09-22 at 01:22 AM ----------

Thanks , I have done 10 years of relieving work previously , I compared my pay packet full time vs part time and I can make more money just working 3 days a week and all care no responsibility , easy choice
Hmm now which language to learn
I would love to become fluent in Spanish so that I can swear with genuine ferocity lol. The nice thing about relief work is your hourly rate you do miss out on holiday and sick pay but you don't miss managers who have been promoted beyond their capability. We had plenty of them in the post office.
09-15-2022, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
It may say fearless, but I am scared .... You could always grab your safety nice and early then put the 21mm on and shoot just for the pleasure of shooting (screw heads, litter bins, graffiti, road signs and ... Shopping trolleys). I get quite depressed when I don't shoot, I tend to feel like the day is a bit pointless, that's why I have always said the dic & sic are good for my health, they genuinely are! Film has taken over my life and I have some beautiful gear that is a joy to use, that's part of the reason why I am doing the dic rather than the sic. Although, I could have done another sic with the 20-40mm limited I bought from @SandyHancock last year. I love it so much. Maybe I should follow your lead Raf and do a whole year anyway, I just thought I would pop in and see how you are all doing

---------- Post added 14-09-22 at 01:22 AM ----------

I would love to become fluent in Spanish so that I can swear with genuine ferocity lol. The nice thing about relief work is your hourly rate you do miss out on holiday and sick pay but you don't miss managers who have been promoted beyond their capability. We had plenty of them in the post office.

I love the bit in the second Matrix movie where the Merovingian talks about French being the best language to swear in … “it’s like wiping your arse with silk” - after reeling off this absolutely beautiful-sounding string of profanity.
09-15-2022, 04:57 AM   #67
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

OK - Mid-Month Check In!!!

how is that lens?

is it the sweetest thing you've ever had on your camera.... or you cannot wait until the end of the month and the next 2 weeks are going to be nothing but safety shots..

09-15-2022, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #68
Loyal Site Supporter

The SMC A 100mm Macro is a quality, easy to use lens, stuck inside it has been easy to find subjects and hopefully when the weather improves I look forward to getting outside for some bug and flower shots.
09-15-2022, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

So the stack of primes - Pentax-A 35-105/3.5 - is a very good performer but I find it hard to use it to the full. As the month progresses, I become busier and busier so I resort to safety shots more often than I'd like to. Also, I've been thinking of thinning my lens collection a bit so this one will probably go on sale as it is one of the last to be picked out for a random photo walk. It's a very good lens, but probably not for me...

BTW, I'm skipping today and probably tomorrow, too... Too busy time but I hope to do some photography on the weekend

Last edited by Chris_K; 09-15-2022 at 12:01 PM.
09-15-2022, 12:09 PM - 2 Likes   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
how is that lens?
It's amazing. Wishing I had more time and energy to invest in using it right now, but it has shown the potential I expected to see. My main intent for this lens is indoor cat photos since we are going to give a cat breeding business a try... I didn't need this lens for this photo job of course, as I have other capable lenses, but used it as an excuse to acquire with the justification of it being useful as the sharpest/fastest AF lens that I could have, and it for sure is that.

The weight has only been a significant factor for me with flash on, as expected. So probably won't use it with the flash, but we'll see... I intend to begin exploring staged/studio cat photography. I'm not excited about it (at all) but seems like it will be necessary.

Despite having better AF than my other lenses, its still on a K-1 so still find myself turning to MF a lot. In that regard the on-lens AF/MF switch is handy, and it's a very comfortable manual focuser.

Wanting to get to some comparisons with my other f1.4 lenses, but not sure I can make it happen this month because we have another time consuming project going.
09-15-2022, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K series 50mm f1.4 is pretty decent. I'm having trouble finding subjects in my short amount of time in the evenings.
But I'll keep on trucking through the month though.
09-15-2022, 05:16 PM - 2 Likes   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
I'm having trouble finding subjects in my short amount of time in the evenings.
I know that feeling. My SMC-M 50mm is a fine lens, but I wouldn't mind trying out a D-FA 50mm just to compare. I'm not in the mood for more lenses, I just want a few really good lenses.
09-16-2022, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
a 28-135 isn't good lens. but i find that i can make with it same great for me pictures as from dfa 50 1.4, so probably will stay with me little longer until i can afford for dfa 21, because i dont have any other wide lens. after this sic i will try to more use of my smc a 35/2 to see is it enough wide for me and then will put 28-135 again on shelf.
09-16-2022, 09:53 AM - 3 Likes   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
OK - Mid-Month Check In!!!

how is that lens?

is it the sweetest thing you've ever had on your camera.... or you cannot wait until the end of the month and the next 2 weeks are going to be nothing but safety shots..
Mid-month already? More than time for me to catch up on posting. I had skipped (more forgotten) shooting on some days with very early and late train rides, work or driving, but have more than a week to post, which I'll try tonight.

The A70-210mm f/4 is a fine lens, and I wish I had such a quality zoom back in my analog days (not on Pentax). While it can be used wide open and is rather easy to focus because of a decent level of sharpness, I like the slightly stopped-down images better. What it does extremely well are rich smooth colors, too bad that I was more in a b&w mood for most of the month so far.

It is longer than my favorite sic bags hold, requiring more of a dedicated effort too shoot, but I came up with some well-working setups for my business trip and folding bike, useful for other combos as well. But still, I feel the same way as Chris:
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_K Quote
It's a very good lens, but probably not for me...
No reason not to have fun with it for the rest of the month though.

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
K series 50mm f1.4 is pretty decent. I'm having trouble finding subjects in my short amount of time in the evenings.
But I'll keep on trucking through the month though.
Same for me, it gets dark just after family duties and lighting of monuments, public buildings etc. stays turned off in order to conserve energy. I have some ideas on stuff that I can light myself or light-paint, but that requires time and cooperating weather - but I'm grateful for every bit of the rain we currently get after this hot and extremely dry summer. Maybe I just need to get back to getting out of the office for 1/2h during the day. Normally not too difficult in my job.

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I know that feeling. My SMC-M 50mm is a fine lens, but I wouldn't mind trying out a D-FA 50mm just to compare. I'm not in the mood for more lenses, I just want a few really good lenses.
I'm looking forward to October with that lens, getting mine on 29th and will put up a few things for sale, like the DA*55 - sic'd before, wonderful lens, but not on FF for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by LukaszWro Quote
a 28-135 isn't good lens. but i find that i can make with it same great for me pictures as from dfa 50 1.4, so probably will stay with me little longer until I can afford for dfa 21, because i dont have any other wide lens. after this sic i will try to more use of my smc a 35/2 to see is it enough wide for me and then will put 28-135 again on shelf.
The best lens is the one you actually use on your camera. The largest print in our house (140cm wide) is a landscape shot from a - by today's standards - humble EOS450 with the simple and cheap 18-55mm kit lens.

Last edited by JensE; 09-16-2022 at 10:38 AM.
09-16-2022, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LukaszWro Quote
a 28-135 isn't good lens. but i find that i can make with it same great for me pictures as from dfa 50 1.4, so probably will stay with me little longer until i can afford for dfa 21, because i dont have any other wide lens. after this sic i will try to more use of my smc a 35/2 to see is it enough wide for me and then will put 28-135 again on shelf.
Try the M or A 28/2.8. Both pretty cheap, wide and decent IQ.

The DA 15 limited is a lovely lens and I am getting to grips with how best to use it. Some fun shots so far though.