Hey all - sorry for the delay!

December thread is up: Single in December 2022 - PentaxForums.com

Thank you!
11-30-2022, 05:25 AM - 2 Likes   #138
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Single In Challenge - MoNovember 2022 - M50/1.4

I'm done for the month and what a month it was. I shot and posted on time. ATM I feel like it was one of my best based on quality of the shots. I put more effort into finding shots than typically and I did find a lot of new targets. Also visited some of my old favorites to reshoot them and I think I managed to improve those shots. The November weather in Finland ain't the type we usually consider good for photography. Days are short, usually grey. and often misty. There's not much colour visible anywhere. So it's pretty much made for monochrome

M50/1.4 delivered what I expected. I shot most of the month wide open, as that is were this lens shines over f1.7 version. Apparently I can't remember exactly anymore, but I think 6/30 were stopped down. M50/1.4 could be sharper wide open, but for sure I find it perfectly useable. Sometimes bokeh gets too busy due to bubbles, but on the right light and background it's nice and creamy. Stopped down it delivers nice landscapes, but this was not a month for those shots.
I can see the advantages DFA*50/1.4 has over this, but truth is that only photographers see it or more importantly care about it. Still I plan to upgrade at somepoint to satisfy my own need for perfection. Until then M50/1.4 will do nicely.

I bought Capture One 23 during the month. Having skipped the previous upgrade the important new features for me were panorama and HDR stitching that was introduced in v22. I tried to play with these features during the month and panorama seems to work pretty well. Even on multirow Brenizer method stitches. HDR works, but this month there really wasn't need for it. Dynamic range of K1ii was enough to cover the scenes I had available and I was able to lift from the shadows the exactly same details as I produced with HDR. I need to inspect this further.
Capture One is an expensive program, this time the upgrade was 207Ä, but still less than 9Ä/month on 2 year upgrade cycle. There are cheaper options available, but I really do like the files it produce and I'm used to working with it, so can't let go.

Full album: Pentax M50/1.4 November Monochromes | Flickr
My favorites from the month:

11-30-2022, 01:14 PM - 3 Likes   #139
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It was a challenging month as I run both challenges (here and the DiC) but I'm glad I did. The GR3 - my SiC camera - is a great performer and its huge advantage is its compactness, so I could have had it with me all the time. The image quality and the built-in presets are fantastic. A real joy to use...
Some of my faves are below. Thank you all for your kind company and comments. Till December.

11-30-2022, 01:29 PM - 2 Likes   #140
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Iím still way behind since my dad visited. Iím guessing Iíll post the images sometime. Lol. In any case it was fun and I did enjoy it.
11-30-2022, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #141
Forum Member

Well i enjoyed the challenge this month and the lens,although i wont give it 10/10,maybe a 8,just,had to sharpen up a little bit in post most of the time,still,switching the brain to B&W while seeing colour was a learning curve
Alas,the last week or so has been hectic due to work commitments,so quite annoyed i didnt finish off the month fully
11-30-2022, 02:31 PM - 3 Likes   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've had a great month with the GR iiix. The 40mm equivalent lens suits me better than the 28 of the normal GR and apart from the lens the two cameras are identical. Once I got it set up as I like then I was away. It's easy to carry anywhere and the image quality is fantastic, particularly in b&w. I have been using the jpegs sooc with no editing for the majority of the month which has been refreshing, I just couldn't often see how I was going to add much.

11-30-2022, 03:31 PM - 3 Likes   #143
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I enjoyed my month with the SMC 135mm f3.5, but also had the new-to-me extension tubes that helped out as well. An extremely low cost lens that is a great performer, and with the usual K-series build. It doesn't take up much room in the cabinet, so it will stay put for now .

A sample from the month including color shots that I didn't post:

The rest of the Album here: SMC-K 135mm f3.5 | Flickr
11-30-2022, 07:24 PM - 2 Likes   #144
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

MoNovember wrap up:

Takumar 105mm f2.8 - thankfully, I have an adapter that is also a macro-focusing helicoid, otherwise this would have been a painful month for me....

surprisingly sharp, colorful, contrasty - all the things you would want in a short-telephoto lens.... especially in a Takumar as old as this one is...

using the preset mechanism to set the aperture is a breeze, the focus helicoid is delicious to use...

so why didn't it find a home here?

no idea - I struggled all month long, trying to find the sweet spot in this lens and it just never hit it - lots of great shots from it, but not enough to keep it...

my faves from the month:

and even an 'explore' on flickr this month:

and the rest of the month:

Single In Challenge - MoNovember '22 | Flickr
12-01-2022, 06:19 AM - 4 Likes   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I feel I'm not nearly where I wanted to be after MoNovermber, but that's just exciting life outside photography sometimes. In terms of the b&w theme, it felt natural - while two or three day's images might have looked nice in color too, I never felt constrained by the b&w approach, all of the images worked OK for me in terms of shapes and contrasts, even the trees that attracted my attention first because of their intense color.

I did like the picture from Nov 1st for a tricky but successful handheld composition, the ease and result of in-camera processing on Nov 8th and 9th, posted from my phone, and the extra light provided by the first car in the midst of the night on the fresh snow of Nov 20th. And thanks for all the comments on the few images I posted, I hope I will be able to follow your s.i.c. images in December a little more closely, even if I for sure cannot join.

Arches and Columns

by Jens Em, on Flickr