Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2022, 02:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Post Processing Challenge #441 - Dean's Gate

Hopefully I got the files uploaded correctly and the link set up. If not, PM me with what's still needed as I haven't done this in quite awhile. Anywho, this challenge is only going to consist of jpgs, but three of them.

Scenario: You've only got one lens, it's not a wide angle, and you can't back up far enough to get the shot you want. What to do? Take several shots as a panorama and stitch them together to bring together the scene you want. This was the case on a layover in Manchester, UK while on a photo walk back in 2015. I had some other scenes that were multiple shots, but wanted to keep it reasonable with only three. So, bring this scene together as you see fit!

Challenge will end Sunday, 20 November.

For the next host:
The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
The password is: postprocessing

PP 441

11-14-2022, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Crisp Morning

Time to find coffee...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
11-14-2022, 07:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow...within a couple hours we have our first entry! Keep 'em coming.
11-15-2022, 09:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A complex frame. There are too many details, too many colors, there is no definite center of attention.
I hope I managed to harmonize.
I really liked the reflection in the ripples on the water

Attached Images

11-15-2022, 11:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll try.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
11-15-2022, 12:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fdooch Quote
A complex frame. There are too many details, too many colors, there is no definite center of attention.
Ah, but isn't that the challenge? As you are aware in the PP challenges, you can keep only a portion, add other images, etc. Crop it if needed for YOUR vision of what's important!
11-15-2022, 04:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I may have gone too heavy on the blur.

Last edited by tuggie76; 07-09-2023 at 05:23 PM.
11-16-2022, 09:36 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's mine

Last edited by xs400; 12-26-2022 at 10:42 AM.
11-19-2022, 06:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have to agree with Fdooch to some degree. It is a very busy photo. Anyway, I tried to give it a bit of a boost!

11-19-2022, 05:04 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Still time to enter....
11-20-2022, 03:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Last couple hours bump.
11-21-2022, 07:58 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Closed.

First some comments... Remember that the scenario was you only have one lens and want to capture a larger scene than you can from a physical positioning standpoint. So you take several shots, stich them together, and edit to your liking. Some comments indicated that the shot was too busy, too much detail, not enough of a focus point. All are correct. But that's where you come in...deciding which parts to keep, and which to toss. Several chose to replace the sky it seems, and that's a good call as I wasn't given a great sky at the time I was taking the shots. The brightening used in several brought out a bit more purple tones in the shadows. not present in my personal processing. A little distracting for me. Others did some different things, so now to the individualized comments.

Kerrowdown: I like the treatment. Reminds me of a wood block etching that was then used to make a print. Perhaps it could be a little darker or have just a bit more contrast.

Fdooch: Extra attention to the given sky, some vignette to draw attention, and appears to have an aged, color shift going on. A little too much on the sky when combined with the vignette for my tastes. Would have liked to see you crop some out and focus on the ripples that you liked.

mariwalt: I like the different sky and cloud pattern you used. Cropping out some of the bottom also works and renders a pleasant scene. The brightened bottom half of the shot blends well.

tuggie76: I agree that your blur was a bit too heavy handed, but it did have the desired effect of drawing attention to the added folks on the bridge looking at the camera. The contrasty cloud, however, then draws attention to it.

xs400: That's almost the way I originally processed it for myself, though I left the sky with less detail in the clouds, and left the lower half darker, more in the shadows. Appears to me a tad purple in the center of the frame/shadows.

rpjallan: Again, a nice change out of the sky, though it appears some remnants of the original are still showing through. I also note the choice to remove the white ladder or standpipes next to the canal. A tad rough on the cloning though. Nice details of the rivets in the iron bridge right side, as did xs400.

Winner is tuggie76 for the added couple.
2nd: rpjallan
3rd: Kerrowdown

Thanks all for taking the time to join in. Based on the comments I received, I went back to the original stitch and came up with these cropped versions, so thanks. Don't know whether they're any better, but certainly different.
Attached Images

11-21-2022, 01:52 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Thanks for the interesting photo jheu02, and picking me!

Here's PP442

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/4...owreckers.html

Last edited by tuggie76; 11-21-2022 at 01:57 PM.