Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2022, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
That is also a big challenge. Another factor is that often the place one can access is too low and blocked by terrain. Because of this, I am considering bringing a small ladder with me in my vehicle so I can get above the obstacles. If the situation allows, I wouldn't mind getting a small pickup truck, or at least a vehicle with a sunroof so I can get above eye and ground level.
My dad has an f150 sport and I’ve shot from the bed (parked) for the height before. The 4wd also helps.

---------- Post added 12-15-22 at 12:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
I always wanted to try a monopod with wifi remote control in life view, which is more compact than a ladder. So far, I've mostly done that using the 12s timer. Aiming was OK for most wide-angle shots after a few attempts.
I’ve done this with my KP and my Sony’s (a7riii and RX100IV) and when I had them some of my m43 bodies. It works well albeit a pain to hold the phone and hit the shutter button on the phone. I would suggest a clip on mount or a tube mount to position the phone on the lower part of the monopod and make it easier to use in that scenario.

12-15-2022, 12:12 PM   #32
Pentaxian

I always wanted to try a monopod with wifi remote control in life view, which is more compact than a ladder. So far, I've mostly done that using the 12s timer. Aiming was OK for most wide-angle shots after a few attempts.
I have a shot I'd like to take and it will require some extra height. I've been thinking of using a monopod held above my head, with a long self-timer and the screen articulated down to see what I'm aiming at. No idea how it will work, though.
12-15-2022, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_K Quote
I have a shot I'd like to take and it will require some extra height. I've been thinking of using a monopod held above my head, with a long self-timer and the screen articulated down to see what I'm aiming at. No idea how it will work, though.
Works better than aiming blindly. Against a bright sky, it can however be difficult to see anything. My Feb 1st shot was taken this way, by holding up a tripod.
12-15-2022, 01:15 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Works better than aiming blindly. Against a bright sky, it can however be difficult to see anything. My Feb 1st shot was taken this way, by holding up a tripod.
Got it. The shot looks absolutely fine. I'll try it out

12-15-2022, 01:30 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The month is going pretty well. Just a bit too dark and cold for my taste. My copy of the Tamron 90/2.8 macro is light, easy to focus close up and my ring flash fits straight on the end of it. The 1 to 1 macro is really nice. On the downside, the focus ring has about 2mm of travel between in and out of focus at infinity but that's to be expected of a macro lens.
12-15-2022, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here’s the kind of smartphone holder that could work on the monopod leg to allow easier operation of your periscope idea:

iTODOS Cell Phone Holder Mount Clip for Golf Cart,Wheelchair Walker,Stroller,Spin Bike, Table, Clamp Fits iPhone,Galaxy, Nexus,Most Phones and GPS up to 4" Wide,Aluminum Alloy Material amazon.com: iTODOS Cell Phone Holder Mount Clip for Golf Cart,Wheelchair Walker,Stroller,Spin Bike, Table, Clamp Fits iPhone,Galaxy, Nexus,Most Phones and GPS up to 4?tag=pentaxforums-20&" Wide,Aluminum Alloy Material : Sports & Outdoors
12-15-2022, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
That is also a big challenge. Another factor is that often the place one can access is too low and blocked by terrain. Because of this, I am considering bringing a small ladder with me in my vehicle so I can get above the obstacles. If the situation allows, I wouldn't mind getting a small pickup truck, or at least a vehicle with a sunroof so I can get above eye and ground level.

The sunroof option would be fun to see .

---------- Post added 12-15-22 at 07:54 PM ----------

Mid month with the SMC 24mm f2.8:

I'm a little 'meh' about this one so far. Part of that may be my schedule, and lack of inspirational subject matter for a wide lens. The couple times I did manage a landscape shot, I was disappointed with the amount of distortion around the boarder. I don't expect this to be sharp from corner to corner, but 1/4 of the way in around the edges just didn't look right to me.

I'll most likely keep it, and if I get a crop body again some day, I'll give it a try on that.

12-16-2022, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

So, is it the mid-month check then? I'm pretty undecided on what to think. The lens (DA 18-135) is fine but lacks the character to me. I get the point that it is a great "walk around" lens in terms of a zoom range, but it led me to the conclusion that I simply don't "walk around" in a sense which would justify keeping this lens. It is a solid performer but a bit too slow to my taste (I get a lot of poor-light conditions). So while I don't have major complaints, and I find the zoom range quite useful, I think I'm more of a prime enthusiast.
12-16-2022, 10:06 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So, is it the mid-month check then? I'm pretty undecided on what to think. The lens (DA 18-135) is fine but lacks the character to me. I get the point that it is a great "walk around" lens in terms of a zoom range, but it led me to the conclusion that I simply don't "walk around" in a sense which would justify keeping this lens. It is a solid performer but a bit too slow to my taste (I get a lot of poor-light conditions). So while I don't have major complaints, and I find the zoom range quite useful, I think I'm more of a prime enthusiast.
What is your ISO limit and which body are you using? Try pushing up a bit in ISO and applying something like DXO or TOPAZ to reduce noise and see if it fits better. It can't replace a fast prime but you should be able to push low light a bit even with that lens being f3.5-5.6... unless you shoot in "available gloom".
12-16-2022, 10:17 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What is your ISO limit and which body are you using? Try pushing up a bit in ISO and applying something like DXO or TOPAZ to reduce noise and see if it fits better. It can't replace a fast prime but you should be able to push low light a bit even with that lens being f3.5-5.6... unless you shoot in "available gloom".
Thank you. Usually, I shoot with the KP which is fine up to 3200/6400. Considerably worse on the K50 but I don't blame the lens here. Recently I've been doing 90% of the post-processing in-camera as I like the jpegs it produces (the KP, it is). So I don't have any major complaints; maybe it's more me and the dark short days giving very few opportunities for shooting...
12-16-2022, 01:12 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you. Usually, I shoot with the KP which is fine up to 3200/6400. Considerably worse on the K50 but I don't blame the lens here. Recently I've been doing 90% of the post-processing in-camera as I like the jpegs it produces (the KP, it is). So I don't have any major complaints; maybe it's more me and the dark short days giving very few opportunities for shooting...
That’s rational. I shoot the KP as well and stick to around that range in jpg. I too have been using in camera primarily. I do shoot raw+ just in case. I have even used in camera raw development when I wanted to modify from the jpg but didn’t want to break out a laptop. I can squeeze out a 12800 shot using DXO prime usually so it’s an option if the gloom is too much for the slower lens.
12-16-2022, 02:05 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That’s rational. I shoot the KP as well and stick to around that range in jpg. I too have been using in camera primarily. I do shoot raw+ just in case. I have even used in camera raw development when I wanted to modify from the jpg but didn’t want to break out a laptop. I can squeeze out a 12800 shot using DXO prime usually so it’s an option if the gloom is too much for the slower lens.
I've been thinking of finally trying one of these denoising apps, but I rather avoid going extra high with the ISO and for these rare occasions I have little motivation to learn another software. In general, I lack post-processing skills and once in a while I really feel that I could squeeze out more from a shot, so I probably should finally take this step forward (I also shoot raw+). OTOH, now in 90% of the shots I use the Darktable only to resize/crop the jpeg (processed in camera), to name it and save it in the proper folder. Barbaric , taking into account the capability of the software, but in general very convenient (to me).
12-16-2022, 02:08 PM   #43
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm finding the NoNoise capability in ON1's PhotoRaw is impressive....
12-16-2022, 02:28 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The lens (DA 18-135) is fine but lacks the character to me. I get the point that it is a great "walk around" lens in terms of a zoom range, but it led me to the conclusion that I simply don't "walk around" in a sense which would justify keeping this lens. It is a solid performer but a bit too slow to my taste (I get a lot of poor-light conditions). So while I don't have major complaints, and I find the zoom range quite useful, I think I'm more of a prime enthusiast.
After about ten and two half single-in challenge months, I'm afraid I'm back in the same camp - I mostly used primes on film. Prime use for the 18-135mm will continue to be tours where I need to pack light, small and flexible (kayak, bicycle, backpack tours), don't want to change lenses because of water or sand or simply don't have time to. But I'm happy that recently, hiking and cycling with the family in October, I have just used the 43mm most of the time on the KP and rarely felt an urge to put the 18-135mm back on. Maybe it's just a break in between kids and grandchildren though ... But for now, unless i only have space for a pancake, the 18-135mm is always coming along on the KP. Sometimes, the sharpness and contrast falloff at the long end is all the character I need from the 18-135mm to make a central subject stand out.
12-16-2022, 03:45 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been thinking of finally trying one of these denoising apps, but I rather avoid going extra high with the ISO and for these rare occasions I have little motivation to learn another software. In general, I lack post-processing skills and once in a while I really feel that I could squeeze out more from a shot, so I probably should finally take this step forward (I also shoot raw+). OTOH, now in 90% of the shots I use the Darktable only to resize/crop the jpeg (processed in camera), to name it and save it in the proper folder. Barbaric , taking into account the capability of the software, but in general very convenient (to me).
Try a trial of DXO. Raw only allows prime demonize and the defaults and presets make for easy post processing without much fuss.