Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2022, 11:11 PM   #31
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
@Pepperberry, I think I have commented on this pic when you originally posted it, but I'll say it again - this is a truly stunning image: the colours, the composition, the clarity of the light. It really is a gorgeous image!
thank you...

12-30-2022, 01:55 AM   #32
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
There are so many sunset shots taken by most of us, most of them pretty, or nice.

But your no 2 shot here has a little bit of magic about it. The colours in the sky and clouds, the reflection in the water, the scattering of rushes in the water, and just the panoramic breadth of the image.
Thank you. It was truly special summer night. I was lucky to be there.
12-30-2022, 09:15 PM - 9 Likes   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, here are my first five.
I tried creating a temp album in Flickr to make my choices for this thread - ended up with 50 plus pics (!!! ) and have had a hard time culling down to just 5 or ten choices - not because I thought all were "top notch" pics, but because some represented a first (for me), or because some I just liked, even when the quality was not neccessarily the best.
Anyway, for what it is worth, my first five:

Second time to come across this bird (Bush Stone Curlew), first time to get such a close-up (of any bird).

I had seen this little bird (Double-barred Finch) around my home only two or three times over a 40 yr period (and during most of that time, I was not taking photographs). Then, when finally getting back into photography, it never seemed to be around. Then suddenly I seemed to be seeing it 2 or three times a week. On this occasion, it landed very close to me while I was out, ready, with the K3 iii and the 150-450mm Monster in hand.

One of my better dragonfly pics:

This one was a lucky frame caught in burst mode as I tried to capture a flurry of doves flying over my back yard.

Name:  K3P11109 Sm.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  122.2 KB

One of the first blooms of a newly-planted (and only) rose bush in my new garden:

Last edited by K2 to K50; 12-30-2022 at 09:22 PM.
12-30-2022, 10:19 PM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
..... about two miles later I saw this anhinga on a dead tree stump not too far from the road, drying it's wings. You shoot from the road here as there are alligators and water moccasins in the water. Anyway, the anhinga was nicely presented with the morning sun behind.
It is a truly fab image, with the tension of the large bird apparently trying to keep its balance on the small surface of the top of the stump.

12-30-2022, 10:25 PM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
I always like these "Best of..." threads because they get me to review all the photos I took this year and remember the places I've been and the things I've seen. 2022 wasn't a great year for me and I'm glad to put it behind me, but I didn't have trouble coming up with 10 favorites:
All very fine images, but I particularly liked:
Gull with chick on Dalkey Island:
Snake in Perico Preserve, Bradenton FL
and

Eagles on Whidbey Island, Washington.
12-30-2022, 10:29 PM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
It's always a hard job to remember what you liked best in a year and why. This one was in January. I went out to a nearby area called Holly Shelter which has these beautiful areas of Longleaf Pine Savannas. I was in this spot before the sun rose, but it was not a colorful sunrise as I had hoped. But there was an odd layer of fog up in the canopy of the trees, and when it hit just right it was really different.

Another special to me was this belted kingfisher. I had been chasing them around for months. I had only ever saw one in Ohio, but after moving to an area in North Carolina with a lot of water around, I began seeing more of them, but they have been very difficult to approach. I the Fall of 2021 I got a kayak to try to get closer to wildlife, and in February, I got some half decent photos of this Belted Kingfisher. Obviously not a great detailed photo and it is cropped a lot, but it made me happy to get it.
Two great pics. But the kingfisher is a standout.
12-30-2022, 10:34 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote

Blakeney Rapids on Ontario's Mississippi River. March 2022. I've wanted to capture this scene for several years, but the conditions were never right. This year, the elements cooperated -- overnight snow and undisturbed river banks, clear sky, early morning light, fast-flowing water. Some photographers might be tempted to use a long shutter speed to turn the water into floss, but, in this case, I wanted to show the turbulence without freezing the flow.

Sunrise in Perth, Ontario. This was an early-morning trek to historic Perth, a small town about an hour's drive from my home.
I can almost feel the chill here. Good composition, with that odd slab if ice in the middle foreground grabbing attention, provoking the thought "How is it still there?"

12-30-2022, 10:35 PM - 1 Like   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Here's a few more from me that I like for various reasons - not all obvious! Most have actually appeared on PF previously in one group or another. Thanks again to @Rondec for running this.

This one really shows up the K1 strutting its stuff!!!
12-31-2022, 12:23 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote

Cannot remember if I commented on these when they were posted earlier this year: but both have a great clarity of image.
12-31-2022, 02:37 AM - 8 Likes   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My other batch

This one had a problem

12-31-2022, 03:03 AM - 9 Likes   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mostly birds... I arranged them by (approximate) weight in ascending order, because how else would you?

Eurasian Treecreeper

Long-tailed Tit

European Goldfinch

Late Halloween Horror Story #2

European Starling
12-31-2022, 03:05 AM - 9 Likes   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And for the heavyweights, two of those are even non-birds, with one of those being a non-squirrel!

Grey Heron

Common Pheasant

Squirrel

European Rabbit #1

Last edited by ehrwien; 12-31-2022 at 03:13 AM.
12-31-2022, 04:25 AM - 9 Likes   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What a pleasure to go through these great sets!
Here a few of my B&W shots from this year which I like .

May you all have a great 2023!

12-31-2022, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Here's a couple from me this past year...

I like "The Arches - it has a nice flow to it!
12-31-2022, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
Mostly birds... I arranged them by (approximate) weight in ascending order, because how else would you?

Love the European Goldfinch! You have caught it in a nice light to show its strange patterns. I have seen this little bird only once, and had to photograph it against the sky, ended up with little better than a silhouette!

The Glossy sheen of the starling is also shown off in all its glamour!