Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2022, 04:09 AM - 21 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Best Images of 2022 -- Year End Review

We are getting close to the end of 2022. I have seen lots of folks coming out with their end of year lists -- best movies of 2022, best books of 2022 and so on.

The goal of this thread is to display your favorite images that you captured in the last year. There is not a specific number -- I'll probably do ten images in total. The best thing is to limit each post to five images or so, to keep folks with slower internet speeds from having the thread grind to a halt.

I hope that everyone feels comfortable posting here -- this isn't a competition, but simply a little time of retrospective to think about the past year and the photographic journey we are on, separately and together. I'm looking forward to seeing the images that you all have to share.

Without further ado, here are my first five images...

Tiny Barn at Sunrise (DFA 24-70mm/pixel shift)

Road to the Dawn (DFA 24-70mm)

Round Bale at Dawn (FA 31 limited/pixel shift)

On a Bridge (DFA *85)

Country Road Before Dawn (DFA 24-70mm/pixel shift)

For those who are interested in seeing past year's best of threads, here is a run down of them.

Best Images of 2021 - PentaxForums.com

Best Ten Images of 2020 - PentaxForums.com

Year End Review: Your Favorite Photos of 2019 - PentaxForums.com

Year End Review: Your Favorite Photos of 2018 - PentaxForums.com

Year in Review: Share Your 12 Favorites of 2017 - PentaxForums.com

Favorite Images From 2016 - PentaxForums.com

Favorite Images From 2016 - PentaxForums.com

Favorite Ten Photos of 2014 - PentaxForums.com

Top Ten 2013 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by Rondec; 12-11-2023 at 03:03 PM.
12-22-2022, 04:51 AM - 15 Likes   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
We are getting close to the end of 2022. I have seen lots of folks coming out with their end of year lists -- best movies of 2022, best books of 2022 and so on.

The goal of this thread is to display your favorite images that you captured in the last year. There is not a specific number -- I'll probably do ten images in total. The best thing is to limit each post to five images or so, to keep folks with slower internet speeds from having the thread grind to a halt.

I hope that everyone feels comfortable posting here -- this isn't a competition, but simply a little time of retrospective to think about the past year and the photographic journey we are on, separately and together. I'm looking forward to seeing the images that you all have to share.

Without further ado, here are my first five images...
excellent shots!

this year, I can narrow it all the way down to one favorite for me:

12-22-2022, 06:10 AM - 13 Likes   #3
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My ten for 2022.

12-22-2022, 07:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for starting the thread, I actually missed a couple of yours on Flickr, so it's a good nudge to see them.

12-22-2022, 01:20 PM - 15 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's always a hard job to remember what you liked best in a year and why. This one was in January. I went out to a nearby area called Holly Shelter which has these beautiful areas of Longleaf Pine Savannas. I was in this spot before the sun rose, but it was not a colorful sunrise as I had hoped. But there was an odd layer of fog up in the canopy of the trees, and when it hit just right it was really different.

Another special to me was this belted kingfisher. I had been chasing them around for months. I had only ever saw one in Ohio, but after moving to an area in North Carolina with a lot of water around, I began seeing more of them, but they have been very difficult to approach. I the Fall of 2021 I got a kayak to try to get closer to wildlife, and in February, I got some half decent photos of this Belted Kingfisher. Obviously not a great detailed photo and it is cropped a lot, but it made me happy to get it.
12-22-2022, 01:40 PM - 12 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In April I was driving toward the wetlands "impound" in Holly Shelter, the impound is where they put dikes around a swamp to try to regulate the water levels. I saw an anhinga flying by and was hoping maybe to see it again, about two miles later I saw this anhinga on a dead tree stump not too far from the road, drying it's wings. You shoot from the road here as there are alligators and water moccasins in the water. Anyway, the anhinga was nicely presented with the morning sun behind.

In May back to Holly Shelter again (Holly Shelter is 64000 acres or 100 square miles of Longleaf Pine Savanna, Pocosin, swamps, and pine forests) to catch this area of wild Dwarf Azaleas in the Longleaf Pine Savanna. The area is known for growing azaleas, but I like the ones in nature.
12-22-2022, 01:53 PM - 17 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

May was probably me best month this year for photos that I liked, this one is a sunset on the south end of Topsail Island. This wat taken with the DA*300 and DA 1.4 rear converter. When I go to the south end I have to park, then hike about a mile of beach and sometimes there can be lots of sea birds, so I take my KP with the DA*300 and DA 1.4 rear converter on a sling strap, and the other KP on a tripod with the DA 29-40 or another lens. While I'm shooting with the camera on the tripod I often shoot a part of the scene with the long combo, and often, I like it better, as in this one.

Later in May I was back in Ohio and took this sunset photo. I have decided that in Western Ohio, colorful skies happen more often than is SE North Carolina, I have no idea why.

12-22-2022, 02:02 PM - 7 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's not been a vintage year for me, but I like this one - meanwhile I'll try to pull out a few more

12-22-2022, 02:20 PM - 12 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In August I was at the beach for sunrise shooting, but on this particular day this shot of the pier's shadows from the rising sun was my favorite.

In October I was in the Kayak when I saw a group of waders on a little sandbar in the salt marsh, this was long distance shot as I was able to get within 20 feet of most of these birds for fill the frame shots, but I liked this one for the variety. Left to right is a Great Egret, Juvenile White Ibis, an Immature or Juvenile Snowy Egret, a Laughing Gull in the water, a Juvenile Tricolored Heron, Immature White Ibis, and two more Snowy Egrets, with oysters in the background in the water and along the marsh grass. The colors of the White Ibis are what distinguishes their development stage I guess. I use the All About Birds website or the Merlin app for identification. Anyway, it was a thrill to see them all together, and get so close. Ans a good way to see the size different from the Great Egret.

One more from December, the biggest Heron we have here, the Great Blue Heron coming in for a landing. December has a been a slow month in shooting and spending much time online. 15 days ago I had cataract surgery on my left eye, and yesterday on my right eye. That means staying away form thing like dust, wind, water, bright sunlight part of the time, etc, which means the beach, the salt marsh, Holly Shelter and it's dusty unpaved roads, pretty much the places I shoot. So I'll be looking forward to getting back out in nature and seeing things a lot better.
12-23-2022, 02:39 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Many thanks to @Rondec for starting this thread again this year. It's always a pleasure and an inspiration to see what fellow Pentaxians have done and to hear the stories behind the photos.

@Rondec - five magnificent images, all classics. I'm looking forward to more. "Road to the dawn" is my favourite of all - great composition, great colours, beautifully balanced

@iheiramo; - a fine set. #1 is so sensuous it should be NSFW! ;-) #2 is probably my favourite - magnificent.

@pepperberry farm; - fine capture.

@ffking - very nice shot. Look forward to more.

@ramseybuckeye - As you know Tom, I've already commented on a number of these in Flickr. Suffice to say that as a set they are truly awesome. And you could have picked another 20! I have a particular admiration for shots that are hard to get - the misty pre-dawn light, the fleeting chance to catch the kingfisher and backlit anhinga, the gathering of waders taken from the kayak and so on. I didn't know about your cataract ops - all the best for your recovery.

Last edited by Des; 12-24-2022 at 01:57 PM.
12-23-2022, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #11
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
@iheiramo - a fine set. #1 is so sensuous it should be NSFW. #2 is probably my favourite - magnificent.
Thanks. #1 is just snow, so perfectly safe #2 is probably the most beautiful sunrise I have seen. Something special. Pure luck I woke before 3am and saw orange light in the window. Heavy storm clouds were slowly rolling in in still night. I didn't mind at all to take a small brake from sleeping to watch sunrise.
12-23-2022, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I didn't know about your cataract ops - all the best for your recovery.
Thank you Des, They are coming along fine, the left was first and it is nearly perfect now, the right was doen Wednesday, and is a little improved each morning, better than before already, but a little ways to go.

Something interesting about that, before they did the surgery the surgeon asked which eye did I think was dominant, I told her the left because I was a left eye shooter with a camera. They then performed a test and it was indeed the dominant one. She said she always does the dominant eye first, I was just surprised that it was a "real" thing and impressed that they had a way to test it.
12-23-2022, 05:11 PM - 11 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Several images from my 2022 collection

Here are a few of my images from 2022.

- Craig

Blakeney Rapids on Ontario's Mississippi River. March 2022. I've wanted to capture this scene for several years, but the conditions were never right. This year, the elements cooperated -- overnight snow and undisturbed river banks, clear sky, early morning light, fast-flowing water. Some photographers might be tempted to use a long shutter speed to turn the water into floss, but, in this case, I wanted to show the turbulence without freezing the flow.

Sunrise in Perth, Ontario. This was an early-morning trek to historic Perth (est. 1816), a small town about an hour's drive from my home.

Deserted. Unknown to the viewers of this image, the mall parking lot behind me was actually very busy with a weekly classic car 'cruise night'. I waited a while until this scene was free of people.

In our backyard garden. This flowering plant -- a Coreopsis -- was unusually prolific through most of the summer. The flowers are fairly small, so I used my Tamron Adaptall-2 Macro 72B to capture a single, unblemished flower. 90mm, f/5.6, 1/80 s, ISO 400. K-3 Mark III.

Look Up. Submitted to a photo competition at my camera club. Honourable Mention. One judge remarked that the sliver of building at the bottom, left of arm, is distracting and unnecessary. Agreed; I should have caught that when cropping.

Last edited by c.a.m; 01-15-2023 at 05:48 AM.
12-24-2022, 04:32 AM - 13 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
There are some beautiful images in this thread.
@pepperberry farm -- that's a beautiful hummingbird shot!
@iheiramo -- great use of monochrome. The second sunset/sunrise shot is phenomenal.
@ffking -- nice shot. Looking forward to what else you can dig up. Even a bad photo year still has some interesting shots in it.
@ramseybuckeye -- some really beautiful shots. The two shots from May really caught my eye. I also love the kingfisher shot.
@c.a.m. -- some really nice captures. I love the use of monochrome in the vintage car image. The snow border stream is a wonderful shot too.

Here are another five images in no particular order.

Big Soddy Gulf (FA 31 limited/pixel shift)

Field at Dawn (DFA *50 -- shot with the K-3 III)

Tree at Dawn (DA *16-50 SDM/K-01)

Gate at Sunrise (FA 31 limited/pixel shift)

Road in the Mist (DA *16-50 SDM/K-01)

The thing I realize in going over these is that it isn't the gear, it is the light that stands out. The DA *16-50 and K-01 produced two of my favorite images of the year, despite the fact that they aren't highly respected. I just happened to have that combo with me when the light was right, whereas the K-1 II with a prime lens was somewhere else.

Looking forward to everyone else's continued contributions to this thread!
12-24-2022, 04:56 AM   #15
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

@iheiramo -- great use of monochrome. The second sunset/sunrise shot is phenomenal.

The thing I realize in going over these is that it isn't the gear, it is the light that stands out. The DA *16-50 and K-01 produced two of my favorite images of the year, despite the fact that they aren't highly respected. I just happened to have that combo with me when the light was right, whereas the K-1 II with a prime lens was somewhere else.
Thanks. Two of the monochrome shots was from November when the weather in Finland is mostly grey and lite is very flat. Dreadful in colour shots, but in monochrome it works.

Yeah, gear is just the icing on the top. I noticed that none of my top ten shots was taken with my beloved DFA*85. All with old vintage lenses.