Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2022, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #31

Photos: Albums
I'll be playing with the Jupiter 11A 135mm f4 Preset in January.

12-28-2022, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My DFA 21mm will have to wait for another month, work will keep me busy throughout January.

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_K Quote
Well, in my case it was not Christmas in particular - I've been "collecting" gear from the Marketplace for some time and it all waits in the US for the "shuttle" to Poland. I bought the A 50/2.8 macro, F 28/2.8 and... FA 31 limited I'm eager to try each of them but I guess that the 31 will go first. And I keep asking myself: do I really need the DA*55, having the F 50/1.4?
So you finally found an F28, mine has 'disappeared' again, but will likely be back in a few days. Somewhat pointless in parallel to the FA 31, but I like it on the KP. On the DA*55, my plan is to actually sell it, now that I have the DFA*50. Let's see if/when this actually happens ... The F 50/1.4 would not be enough of a reason for me, I actually kept my F 50/1.7 and gave away my FA 50/1.4. Since I also got the HD FA 43, the F 50/1.7 sits idle as well. Time to unload.

Last edited by JensE; 12-28-2022 at 04:53 AM.
12-28-2022, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
My DFA 21mm will have to wait for another month, work will keep me busy throughout January.

So you finally found an F28, mine has 'disappeared' again, but will likely be back in a few days. Somewhat pointless in parallel to the FA 31, but I like it on the KP. On the DA*55, my plan is to actually sell it, now that I have the DFA*50. Let's see if/when this actually happens ... The F 50/1.4 would not be enough of a reason for me, I actually kept my F 50/1.7 and gave away my FA 50/1.4. Since I also got the HD FA 43, the F 50/1.7 sits idle as well. Time to unload.
Well, LBA goes its own way I grabbed the FA 31 Limited and indeed, the F28 seems to make no sense anymore. Still, it showed up at such a good price that I could not resist. I might sell one of the two if I decided that their usage overlaps too much.
And when it comes to the DA*55: how would you compare the AF speed/performance compared to the F / FA 50s screwdriver? I read the reviews so I more or less know what they say, but still - what's your experience?
12-28-2022, 09:35 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, LBA goes its own way I grabbed the FA 31 Limited and indeed, the F28 seems to make no sense anymore. Still, it showed up at such a good price that I could not resist. I might sell one of the two if I decided that their usage overlaps too much.
And when it comes to the DA*55: how would you compare the AF speed/performance compared to the F / FA 50s screwdriver? I read the reviews so I more or less know what they say, but still - what's your experience?
Whoa, the 31 and F 28 are completely different lenses, the F28 can also be reversed for a great macro lens, the 31mm not that easy to do with a simple adapter. Even when used as designed the rendering of each lens is so different despite the closeness of the focal lengths, I look forward to seeing what you think after trying them both. The other DA*55 has quite snappy and silent focusing compared to the older screw drive lenses. The speed is also affected by the camera body used, my K3 felt sluggish compared to the newer K3iii

12-29-2022, 12:38 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Whoa, the 31 and F 28 are completely different lenses, the F28 can also be reversed for a great macro lens, the 31mm not that easy to do with a simple adapter. Even when used as designed the rendering of each lens is so different despite the closeness of the focal lengths, I look forward to seeing what you think after trying them both.
Well, I was kind of hoping that would be the case... I wouldn't mind keeping them both

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
The other DA*55 has quite snappy and silent focusing compared to the older screw drive lenses. The speed is also affected by the camera body used, my K3 felt sluggish compared to the newer K3iii
I'd use it with the KP. I don't need ultra-fast AF - I just don't want it to be much worse than the screw drive of the older lenses, as it is supposed to be an upgrade. With such input from all of you, chances are that I really might give it a try...
12-29-2022, 12:44 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd use it with the KP. I don't need ultra-fast AF - I just don't want it to be much worse than the screw drive of the older lenses, as it is supposed to be an upgrade.
The DA*55 is great on the KP. AF is not as fast as a PLM lens, but it is decisive and accurate.
It is also for intents and purposes a full frame lens, if that matters to you
12-29-2022, 12:54 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The DA*55 is great on the KP. AF is not as fast as a PLM lens, but it is decisive and accurate.
It is also for intents and purposes a full frame lens, if that matters to you
Thanks, Sandy
FF capability is not a must as I'll rather stick to the APSC. But I think I received enough recommendations to try the lens... I can always sell it if I don't like it.

12-30-2022, 06:31 AM - 2 Likes   #38
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

so... decision time

I'll be using the FA 645 45/2.8 for January...
01-01-2023, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Using the FA 31 again this month. I needed something easier to work with .
01-09-2023, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Skipping today's picture. I tried for a nice starburst shot outside this evening, but I ended up "trash" canning all of them.

I couldn't take it, I went back outside for another try, and with no breeze (which was most likely my issue).

Last edited by Riggomatic; 01-09-2023 at 05:33 PM.
01-11-2023, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

There was such a nice light today outside but I came down with a high fever. I have a new flash to try out but I don't think I'll find any strengths to grab the camera. It seems that I'm skipping today.
01-11-2023, 10:58 AM - 2 Likes   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, only 11 days into January, and it already feel like three weeks have gone by with nothing to show for it in SIC.

As I suspected it might personal affairs have taken up a huge chunk the brain space I usually give to photography, so time allowed but little inspiration has been had. Several decisions have been made regarding new job opportunities; I've never been so spoiled for choice! The downside is, my likeliest job will keep me very busy until summer, so that will cut into both my travel plans and my photography during that time period. On the plus, if I do well, I'll earn enough to indulge both of those passions before the year is out. A Ricoh GR-III might be purchased before winter's end, as well. I'll be busy, but having a pocketable camera which delivers great images will allow me to make the most of the limited free time I have.

In anticipation of doing well, I'm getting ready to put some M42 Takumars and other lenses up for sale. I don't need more dust catchers in my collection, so I hope some other PF members will put them to use.
01-11-2023, 11:57 AM - 2 Likes   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
A Ricoh GR-III might be purchased before winter's end, as well. I'll be busy, but having a pocketable camera which delivers great images will allow me to make the most of the limited free time I have.
I find that the jpegs are very usable straight out of the camera which would help cut time even further. Also, I recommend trying the GR iiix before buying either model.
01-11-2023, 05:29 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There was such a nice light today outside but I came down with a high fever. I have a new flash to try out but I don't think I'll find any strengths to grab the camera. It seems that I'm skipping today.
Take care and hope you are feeling better soon.
01-12-2023, 12:52 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Take care and hope you are feeling better soon.
Thank you... Already a bit better but it's the first time in 8 years that I had to take a sick leave... Usually, I'd just fill myself with meds and go through the day somehow.
Anyway, today I have a strong commitment to try out my new flash! (Metz 58 AF2).