Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2022, 10:41 AM - 3 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Happy 2023 you all - good to see so many of the usual suspects still playing along.
I'm on the fence at the moment for January, but thought I'd wish you all a happy healthy new year .
Photographically speaking, I've not been as productive as when I'm shooting daily for forum challenges - a compelling argument to get on board again.

12-30-2022, 10:47 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hypernotactive Quote
Can't blame Autocorrect for this one. Had a brainfart and wrote the month in norwegian.

Sent fra min AC2003 via Tapatalk
Lol.

Even so it was funny.
12-31-2022, 03:39 PM - 5 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

I think I will try and get back into the daily photography groove for January after a long hiatus.

12-31-2022, 05:38 PM - 3 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Many thanks everyone for your company during Bokehcember. So many inspiring images and a thoroughly enjoyable ride. I wish everyone the best for the New Year, especially January, and will resume lurking while I catch up on other stuff.

12-31-2022, 06:57 PM - 3 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wishing everyone a Happy New Year! Won't be in for January but will keep an eye on the postings.
01-01-2023, 10:54 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yeah I should be in. Please to forgive all the iPhone photos as I get back to work and not carrying proper camera with me #shame
01-02-2023, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
Please to forgive all the iPhone photos as I get back to work and not carrying proper camera with me #shame
The answer is simple, quit and devote your days to making images for us instead.

01-02-2023, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
Yeah I should be in. Please to forgive all the iPhone photos as I get back to work and not carrying proper camera with me #shame
Now introducing the Ricoh GR iii !

That being said, technology like iPhone has killed compact cameras for more than one reason: they work, they are prolific, the are easy to use. #noshame.

I follow more than a few photographers who are “phone only” shooters. Embrace the limitations and create/document
01-02-2023, 12:51 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Now introducing the Ricoh GR iii !

That being said, technology like iPhone has killed compact cameras for more than one reason: they work, they are prolific, the are easy to use. #noshame.

I follow more than a few photographers who are “phone only” shooters. Embrace the limitations and create/document
On the other side of the coin, Phone cameras have been credited with driving up the popularity of film. The suggestion is that people who are interested in making photographs are finding phone cameras deeply unfulfilling and are turning to beautiful, old film cameras instead (thereby making mine more valuable ... woohoo )
01-02-2023, 06:21 PM - 3 Likes   #25

Happy 2023 you all - good to see so many of the usual suspects still playing along.
I'm on the fence at the moment for January, but thought I'd wish you all a happy healthy new year .
Photographically speaking, I've not been as productive as when I'm shooting daily for forum challenges - a compelling argument to get on board again.
I agree with everything you just said. Really nice to see familiar names in this game as well. I experience the exact same drop in productivity when I'm not shooting for the forum. Buying into Fuji had me missing the Single in challenge when I wanted to use my Fuji lens as opposed to the adapted Pentax glass. With this group I can still post photos and keep in the groove.

To answer your question on my photo, I do not get many comments on photos that I share from my SmugMug account and I cannot reply to comments directly like Flickr. That said, I am working on a OCOLOY(One Camera, One Lens, One Year) project with the Fuji XF18F1.4 for 2023. I have a lot of work in SmugMug already and want to track the progress there.

There will be a lot of printing involved as well.

Looking forward to seeing all the great work from the PF forum and this group of fine photographers.

Best of wishes for 2023.

Mike B
01-03-2023, 01:15 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mbceft Quote
I agree with everything you just said. Really nice to see familiar names in this game as well. I experience the exact same drop in productivity when I'm not shooting for the forum. Buying into Fuji had me missing the Single in challenge when I wanted to use my Fuji lens as opposed to the adapted Pentax glass. With this group I can still post photos and keep in the groove.

To answer your question on my photo, I do not get many comments on photos that I share from my SmugMug account and I cannot reply to comments directly like Flickr. That said, I am working on a OCOLOY(One Camera, One Lens, One Year) project with the Fuji XF18F1.4 for 2023. I have a lot of work in SmugMug already and want to track the progress there.

There will be a lot of printing involved as well.

Looking forward to seeing all the great work from the PF forum and this group of fine photographers.

Best of wishes for 2023.

Mike B
So, what is your impression of Fuji? I can't see me jumping ship but I have considered it. Tbh I don't think I could afford it. I have read stuff from people who came back, having not got on with Fuji, it would be interesting to hear honest views and comparisons from a current user
01-03-2023, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@pepperberry farm - what’s your take as a Fuji user?
01-03-2023, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #28
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
@pepperberry farm - what’s your take as a Fuji user?
absolutely sold on them, but please remember that I'm not the typical Fuji shooter: I'm here for the adaptability of the camera to a huge array of vintage-mount lenses... I think I have three AF Fuji lenses, and the rest of the time Iam adapting lenses to them...

but, having just completed my Twelve Months of Takumars for the SIC, I can say that they are tough, reliable, and very dependable in daily usage....

I love the jpegs that come out of them, the build quality, and the form factor of the X-T line - I just sold my X-H1 to fund the purchase of an X-T4....
01-03-2023, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shoot with a local friend who was a K3 user when we met. He shoots an XT-3 and loves the out of camera film simulations. His main reason for Changing was decreasing weight (bad back). He’s paid for the XF glass and likes it.

I have considered changing but tbh the selling of current lenses seems daunting and fraught with drawbacks. So I stick with Pentax - in some respects the limited availability of modern glass saves me money
01-03-2023, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
So, what is your impression of Fuji? I can't see me jumping ship but I have considered it. Tbh I don't think I could afford it. I have read stuff from people who came back, having not got on with Fuji, it would be interesting to hear honest views and comparisons from a current user
So I've had my X-Pro3 now for a little over a year and I love it. If you like to shoot like film, nothing beats it in my opinion. Like Pepperberry Farm, I have a couple adapters and really enjoy the manual focusing aids on the Fuji with vintage glass. I use the OVF with the mini screen a lot in manual mode. In comparison to Pentax which is were I started my digital journey with a K10D back around 2006 I would just say they are different. Can't say one is better than the other as far as systems go. I still have my k5ii which is an older camera so it's not a fair comparison. I shot a lot of football, lacrosse and motorsports with the K5ii and the DA* lenses. AF was always a challenge but it was still faster than my old Canon AE-1 so there is that. I am planning to retire the K5 and DA* that I still have at some point and buy an XT-5 with the red badge 2.8 zooms. I have the new XF18 1.4, XF33 1.4 and XF 90 2. They are all fantastic lenses that focus really fast and well. I'll keep the vintage stuff to play around with.

I'm a big fan of renting stuff before you buy. That's what I did with the Fuji. I rented a K3 iii as well and chose to make the jump. I just liked it more.

Happy to answer any questions you have if I can. The f2 Fujichons run less than $400 on KEH and would make a great setup with a used body of your choice.

Mike B

---------- Post added 01-03-23 at 06:51 PM ----------

I shoot with a local friend who was a K3 user when we met. He shoots an XT-3 and loves the out of camera film simulations. His main reason for Changing was decreasing weight (bad back). He’s paid for the XF glass and likes it.

I have considered changing but tbh the selling of current lenses seems daunting and fraught with drawbacks. So I stick with Pentax - in some respects the limited availability of modern glass saves me money
Film sims were one of the driving factors for me as well. I am posting this month with an Astia recipe I found that I like. The XF glass, especially the new stuff for the 40MP sensor are stellar.
I still have most of my Pentax stuff. Sold a few limiteds before the prices dropped. I still have a brand new DA*11-18 that I couldn't sell for less than a huge loss. Might as well keep it.