Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 94 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2023, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
...So do I commit to a single-in again or switch to the daily-in? Somehow, the less committal nature doesn't appeal to me as much....
There's always an option to do the DIC and set up your own personal commitments in the discussion thread to, for example, use one lens for a week or two, or try to capture images conforming to a specific theme. I did that in March which worked out well (I stuck to a landscape oriented theme). However, the SIC is a real challenge, which is why I've never participated.

03-28-2023, 03:48 AM - 3 Likes   #77
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
However, the SIC is a real challenge, which is why I've never participated.

it's good for you - come on in....

(:
03-28-2023, 06:04 AM   #78
Pentaxian

In March however, the lens soon turned out to be rather uninspiring, the was no fun shooting a fully manual adapted mediocre lens - the tilt function of the adapter luckily came to the rescue.
I know the feeling. It happened to me a few times that after a week in the SiC, I knew it would be a tough month. At least, after a month of such play, I was sure I could sell the lens with no regret.
As others pointed out, you may as well put some "personal" challenge in the DiC game. The best is to do both, but time-wise, it is really the challenge! (to me, at least). In the SiC I feel more 'disciplined' and I focus on that while the DiC gives me a more relaxed approach.
03-29-2023, 07:11 PM - 3 Likes   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
There's always an option to do the DIC and set up your own personal commitments in the discussion thread to, for example, use one lens for a week or two, or try to capture images conforming to a specific theme. I did that in March which worked out well (I stuck to a landscape oriented theme). However, the SIC is a real challenge, which is why I've never participated.
Thanks for the suggestion, however knowing myself, I will not feel strongly committed to my own set goals ... Whenever I do a real SIC month, using one lens exclusively, it can be challenging at times. But except for a single macro session with some augmentation, I have used the Biometar exclusively this month. It wasn't always the perfect lens for the job, but then, as I went out purposefully for the SIC most of the time, it often rather wasn't the perfect job for the lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_K Quote
As others pointed out, you may as well put some "personal" challenge in the DiC game. The best is to do both, but time-wise, it is really the challenge! (to me, at least). In the SiC I feel more 'disciplined' and I focus on that while the DiC gives me a more relaxed approach.
I can't see myself doing both. Leaving with two cameras or constantly changing lenses? Not my cup of tea. I'm afraid I'd spend an enormous amount of time coming up with two different subjects every day even if two takes on one might be OK.

So it will be another SIC, with an interesting, yet flexible lens. There are actually some additional entries to my earlier list:
HD FA 77/1.8 Ltd. - I did not finish a full month with the smc FA (a mere 14 days), and I bought the HD, intending to sell the smc.
D-FA 50/1.4 - I was insanely busy work-wise and missed a few days in Monovember altogether, Spring might be a nice time to explore it in color.

The 77 has basically the same FL as this month's 80mm Biometar, therefore the DFA50/1.4 and DFA21/2.4 are at the top of my list at the moment. Two days to go ...

03-29-2023, 09:43 PM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the suggestion, however knowing myself, I will not feel strongly committed to my own set goals ... Whenever I do a real SIC month, using one lens exclusively, it can be challenging at times. But except for a single macro session with some augmentation, I have used the Biometar exclusively this month. It wasn't always the perfect lens for the job, but then, as I went out purposefully for the SIC most of the time, it often rather wasn't the perfect job for the lens.

I can't see myself doing both. Leaving with two cameras or constantly changing lenses? Not my cup of tea. I'm afraid I'd spend an enormous amount of time coming up with two different subjects every day even if two takes on one might be OK.

So it will be another SIC, with an interesting, yet flexible lens. There are actually some additional entries to my earlier list:
HD FA 77/1.8 Ltd. - I did not finish a full month with the smc FA (a mere 14 days), and I bought the HD, intending to sell the smc.
D-FA 50/1.4 - I was insanely busy work-wise and missed a few days in Monovember altogether, Spring might be a nice time to explore it in color.

The 77 has basically the same FL as this month's 80mm Biometar, therefore the DFA50/1.4 and DFA21/2.4 are at the top of my list at the moment. Two days to go ...
I can only recommend the D FA 50mm 1.4, sure to be a great month with that lens
03-30-2023, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Flip a coin, heads the DFA21 wins, tails the DFA50 loses.
03-31-2023, 09:31 AM - 4 Likes   #82

The Pentacon 80mm f2.8 projector lens is a bit of a challenge with it's wafer-thin depth of field, and a tendency towards a blue\purple cast in low light. It's also a bit soft. It can produce "bubble" bokeh, but that has pretty much excaped me this month. Where it can shine is with the addition of extension tubes to go close-up. It smears out any out-of-focus colours in an interesting way, although the thin DOF can still be challenging. Some favourites for the month:

The obligatory gate

Wood Anemone

Pen Holder

Muscari

03-31-2023, 04:37 PM - 5 Likes   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wrap up with the DA*55 on the K-1: A wonderful piece of glass that captures colors very true to real life. Unfortunately, the lens decided to be a manual focus only a few days in, but I kept at it just to see how it would go. As for the lens MF ability, it is not the smooth, buttery feeling of a true MF lens (to be expected), and the short focus throw made it a little hard to dial in on the focus. I had a lot of re-takes, and LV zooming to get images to my liking. I don't think I'll find a reason to keep a non-functioning AF lens in the collection.

Some of my favorites of the month:

03-31-2023, 07:26 PM - 3 Likes   #84
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

end of the month wrap up....

March is my second month this year with the 645D in the SIC, this time with the SMC A 645 75mm f2.8...

stupendous, just an amazing lens all around...

sharp, colorful, great clarity, nice bokeh, with a longer MFD as about the only thing I can really complain about...

it's about the smallest lens for the 645, so no complaints there - I'm not sure what else you could ask for...

and the shots - some of my favorites for March:

and the rest of the month's shots:

Single In Challenge - March 2023 | Flickr

so - if you are needing a 'normal' lens for your 645 system, this will certainly fill the bill....
03-31-2023, 10:08 PM - 4 Likes   #85
Loyal Site Supporter

An interesting lens to spend the month with, I have gotten used to large lenses being the norm, the DA 21mm is so tiny in comparison and the quality seemed really good to my eye. I can see how it could stay on the camera as a daily default lens. A nice ability for close ups or scenes , my favourites from the month

03-31-2023, 10:23 PM - 3 Likes   #86
Pentaxian

It seems that I posted my wrap up in the wrong thread - here it goes again.

The Pentax-A 50/2.8 macro is a great lens to work with. Optically very good - a very nice sharpness, colours and bokeh. Macro capability is fantastic and makes it a very versatile lens. Yeah, it loses some contrast wide-open in harsh light, but nothing dramatic. To me, it's an excellent combination of a "good old" build quality and good functionality (I really appreciate the 'A' setting).
Thank you, all, for the comments and remarks. I saw some really good images from you all. Some of my faves are below.

03-31-2023, 10:39 PM - 5 Likes   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This was an inspiring month, thanks for all your contributions and feedback and good discussions! @zubzubadoodle - amazing what you came up with with this challenging choice for the month. Despite my own doubts in this month, I had a lot of fun and am happy that I could put in more effort than in the last few SICs. I'm very happy with most of the results, for different reasons, e.g.

.. with this one, because it was at a location that I wanted to visit for a while, it turned out the way it was meant to and is special to this month's lens:

... with this one, because of its watercolor bokeh quality and lucky composition:

... with this one, because of its successful composition for a special appearance compared to my 'normal' (non-tilted) macros:

... with this one, because of the way the shadows work and the fun I had in continuing https://flic.kr/p/2oiqyKT:

04-01-2023, 02:10 AM   #88

@zubzubadoodle - amazing what you came up with with this challenging choice for the month.
Thank you Jens, your photo analyses are always insightful and very welcome.
Kevin
04-01-2023, 05:59 AM - 2 Likes   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sadly it was only half a month for me (I miss my Katie), and lens choice was so so, I hoped for more airfield and trainnaction, ended with crazy weather and nothing from what I wanted to photograph. Still lens was, as always, pretty good. IQ wise it is DA* without questions. A keeper, at least until Pentax makes PLM replacement ��

Favorite photo

And this with replacement DA 40 Ltd

Last edited by jersey; 04-01-2023 at 09:41 AM.