Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 75 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2023, 10:18 AM - 2 Likes   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We've been talking some about asking for and receiving criticism and I saw this article on PetaPixel on how to receive criticism today. I read it... it's a decent article explaining several DO's and DONT's on how to interpret and manage any criticism that you might receive. I post a link to it here, not because I think anyone in this group needs to read it, but because I found it somewhat interesting.

The Dos and Don'ts of Taking Photography Criticism | PetaPixel

03-19-2023, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
We've been talking some about asking for and receiving criticism and I saw this article on PetaPixel on how to receive criticism today. I read it... it's a decent article explaining several DO's and DONT's on how to interpret and manage any criticism that you might receive. I post a link to it here, not because I think anyone in this group needs to read it, but because I found it somewhat interesting.
I found it interesting. Some parts are quite obvious but it's a nice wrap-up of the whole topic. At the end of it, there's a link to the second part:

The Dos and Don'ts of Giving Photography Criticism | PetaPixel
03-20-2023, 02:20 AM - 2 Likes   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Existential question time. ❓

Why are you doing this challenge?

How much time does it take out of your day to participate?

You have the floor... 🎙️
Excellent questions. I'm doing this challenge because it's just that, a challenge. It has both allowed me to take inspiration from others' photos, as well as attempt to develop my own style, or play around with styles.

It's taken varying amounts of time out of my days. Sometimes, I'll have the opportunity for a quick flick through and do some commenting and posting, then sometimes a busy week or weekend hits and my available time diminishes. Sure, it doesn't take that much longer on the busy days, but it impacts on my effective free time on those.
I've enjoyed seeing people's comments and taking some good advice from a lot of them, especially in the earlier days where I was finding my feet more. I've not ever been adverse to constructive criticism and this group meet that.

That said, and whilst I'm also generally a perpetrator who appreciates that it's not necessary to comment, there has been a notable waning of comments on others' posts recently. I'm here to try and improve, and if I get comments (positive or otherwise) I have the opportunity to do so. I do find it a little frustrating when I go to the effort of commenting on people's shots and have nothing back in return. But that's me becoming a curmudgeon, and being aware that the SIC is the place to be for those types of comments consistently. Funnily, I did say something to this effect a couple of months ago and there was a flurry of interaction for a few weeks, but that then dropped off again.
03-22-2023, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
Excellent questions. I'm doing this challenge because it's just that, a challenge. It has both allowed me to take inspiration from others' photos, as well as attempt to develop my own style, or play around with styles.

It's taken varying amounts of time out of my days. Sometimes, I'll have the opportunity for a quick flick through and do some commenting and posting, then sometimes a busy week or weekend hits and my available time diminishes. Sure, it doesn't take that much longer on the busy days, but it impacts on my effective free time on those.
I've enjoyed seeing people's comments and taking some good advice from a lot of them, especially in the earlier days where I was finding my feet more. I've not ever been adverse to constructive criticism and this group meet that.

That said, and whilst I'm also generally a perpetrator who appreciates that it's not necessary to comment, there has been a notable waning of comments on others' posts recently. I'm here to try and improve, and if I get comments (positive or otherwise) I have the opportunity to do so. I do find it a little frustrating when I go to the effort of commenting on people's shots and have nothing back in return. But that's me becoming a curmudgeon, and being aware that the SIC is the place to be for those types of comments consistently. Funnily, I did say something to this effect a couple of months ago and there was a flurry of interaction for a few weeks, but that then dropped off again.

I make a rod for my own back really. Don’t post anything for ages, then upload a whole bunch, open everybody’s pics from all those threads. But having beforehand gone through everyone’s photos from a week or more back, just before posting mine, I feel photographically burnt, so I leave them for next time… and so on.

If I just kept up with it everything would be easier - posting, viewing, commenting…

If wishes were horses, wombles would ride…

03-22-2023, 03:40 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
If wishes were horses, wombles would ride…
??? What a lovely Aussie colloquialism. Made me smile.
03-23-2023, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Minimonster Quote
??? What a lovely Aussie colloquialism. Made me smile.

Que?

I’m kiwi, and wombles are Brits.

Bain’t nowt Aussie in how I talk.

But I’m glad I made you smile.
03-23-2023, 02:54 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I’m kiwi, and wombles are Brits.
My appologies, I assumed it was an Aussie expression. I might say "if wishes were horses, beggars would ride" which has Scottish origins... The wombles of Wimbledon Common are something completely different, even if one of them is called Wellington.

03-23-2023, 10:30 PM   #53
Pentaxian

My appologies, I assumed it was an Aussie expression. I might say "if wishes were horses, beggars would ride" which has Scottish origins... The wombles of Wimbledon Common are something completely different, even if one of them is called Wellington.

Yes, I think I switched from beggars to Wombles after reading that in one of my Wombles storybooks as a young’un. xP
03-25-2023, 03:10 PM - 2 Likes   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I think I switched from beggars to Wombles after reading that in one of my Wombles storybooks as a young’un.
I see you remember the Wombles

While running errands I got out to use the DA 16-85 and the DFA 24-70 today, very pleasing. There are so many bluebirds, cardinal and a variety of hawks and even bald eagles out enjoying spring that I need to throw my Sigma 170-500mm in the car just in case I get an opportunity.
03-26-2023, 03:14 PM - 4 Likes   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
April's thread is up! Who's in?

Daily in April 2023 - PentaxForums.com
03-27-2023, 02:18 AM   #56
Pentaxian

April's thread is up! Who's in?

Daily in April 2023 - PentaxForums.com

Thank you 8)

In like Flynn. Have to play some catch-up in these last few days …
03-29-2023, 12:27 PM - 2 Likes   #57
Pentaxian

I noticed today that the number of posts per day right now is about the same as it was at the beginning of the month. Looks like we had a month with low or no attrition.
Congrats to everyone for sticking to it for the whole month! 🥳
03-30-2023, 10:22 AM   #58
Pentaxian

I'm skipping today; Thursday is usually very busy due to extended work and today is no exception. I found a few minutes to shoot sth for the SiC but that's all. Till tomorrow