Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 135 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2023, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
My absolute favorite lens on my Prakticas, by a wide margin, was the Zeiss Jena Practicar (B-mount Pancolar) 80mm f/1.8 for years. The FA 77mm is very similar, also in size, just a tad better in about every respect . At the moment I even have two, an smc and a recently acquired HD, have sold my DA70 a while ago.

However, it doesn't have quick shift, AF can be noisy, minimal focus distance is fairly long, there's easily a good amount of PF and LoCa, corners (on FF) sharpen up only closing it down a bit, there's lots of coma wide open ... in short, it has character. It's also somewhat long on APS-C. The DA70 in comparison looks more "correct" and handles harsh contrasts better, but can also render fairly cool colors and look a bit clinical. Let me know if you want to give it a try!
Many thanks for the detailed description. I like my DA70 a lot but I also wonder "what's all the fuzz about" with the FA limiteds? After purchasing the FA31 a few months ago, I'm starting to understand Expect the PM

---------- Post added 04-02-23 at 06:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I tried it vs the DA70 Limited & I ended up selling the DA 70... the FA 77 Limited has another measure of pixie dust vs the 70...

and I shoot no portraits...
I remember... I even bought your DA70

04-04-2023, 12:46 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

I took several shots with the GR3 today; I even stopped late evening in the city for a shot but I'm totally disappointed by the results, so I'm skipping today.
04-05-2023, 06:09 PM - 3 Likes   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

I need some brain training, years of Pentax lens use has me almost on auto when it comes to focusing and zooming. There are a few lenses, mostly those "shared" designs, where the focus ring turns the opposite way to get from infinity to minimum focal distance, which I can get used to quickly, however this 70-210 is driving me crazy, the zoom ring is at the front and focus ring closer to the camera, my fingers just keep trying to focus with the zoom ring. Hopefully by the end of the month I will get it right.
04-06-2023, 12:47 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did test scan on Ilford resolved in Fomapan LQN and results were promising. Though traditional process on C41 film generates a lot of grain. I will scan first roll of Foma 400 during weekend and post. Maybe I will not screw up what image belongs to what day

04-06-2023, 01:02 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
I need some brain training, years of Pentax lens use has me almost on auto when it comes to focusing and zooming. There are a few lenses, mostly those "shared" designs, where the focus ring turns the opposite way to get from infinity to minimum focal distance, which I can get used to quickly, however this 70-210 is driving me crazy, the zoom ring is at the front and focus ring closer to the camera, my fingers just keep trying to focus with the zoom ring. Hopefully by the end of the month I will get it right.
It can totally relate to that. I struggled all month with the Zeiss Biometar, which focuses in the opposite direction of Pentax lenses. But worse, because it sits on a longish adapter due to the long P6 flange distance, the aperture ring sits far out from the camera and, being the widest part of the lens, I frequently grabbed that instead of the focus ring. After that, it was either back to counting aperture clicks (mostly at night) or taking the camera off my eye, setting aperture again, recomposing and finally focusing.
04-06-2023, 04:32 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That's one of the differences in the lens that I'm not sure I could get used to. I'm kicking around the old FA 80-200 or the new DFA 70-210. Still in the pros/con stage of research...
04-06-2023, 04:59 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
That's one of the differences in the lens that I'm not sure I could get used to. I'm kicking around the old FA 80-200 or the new DFA 70-210. Still in the pros/con stage of research...
Well just to give you some more research, my previous favourite was the F 70-210mm , I think I need to single it after this one so I can see if it still holds up. The small size, 49mm filter thread and range were quite appealing, the tiny focus ring, like most F series lenses is less appealing.

04-07-2023, 12:44 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well just to give you some more research, my previous favourite was the F 70-210mm , I think I need to single it after this one so I can see if it still holds up. The small size, 49mm filter thread and range were quite appealing, the tiny focus ring, like most F series lenses is less appealing.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see what's out there with this one as well. Definitely more compact than the others.
04-08-2023, 02:57 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_K Quote
Ok guys, so cutting the long story short... Having the APSC bodies only, having the DA*55, DA70, and Tamron 90, and not shooting many portraits, I know that I don't need the FA77... but... do I?
Fantastic lens, I purchased a used FA 77mm as soon as I could afford it, and recently I have seen numerous copies here on PF for sale at much lower prices than I paid.
04-08-2023, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Fantastic lens, I purchased a used FA 77mm as soon as I could afford it, and recently I have seen numerous copies here on PF for sale at much lower prices than I paid.
Thank you. It seems that I'll have a chance to try this lens in the May SiC before deciding whether to buy it or not.
04-08-2023, 11:27 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see what's out there with this one as well. Definitely more compact than the others.
I singled the Takumar F 70-210 back in March 2021 and liked it.

Single in March 2021 | Flickr
04-08-2023, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #42
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

I forgot to take camera with me yesterday and returned around midnight. I'm out of rutine
04-08-2023, 02:57 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Minimonster Quote
I singled the Takumar F 70-210 back in March 2021 and liked it.

Single in March 2021 | Flickr
I thought someone had singled another 70-210. That was 2 years ago? I thought that was just last year.
04-08-2023, 03:28 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I thought someone had singled another 70-210. That was 2 years ago? I thought that was just last year.
Lol! Me too when I was looking for it... Good job I keep a spreadsheet.
04-08-2023, 11:47 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I singled an A70-210/4.0 last year in September.