Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
That saddle though!
Hemorrhoid friendly.

06-02-2020, 02:35 PM - 2 Likes   #1877
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've been hanging around this forum for 5 years and this is the first time I've bumped into this particular thread. Nice!

This was my January acquisition; a Montague Highline folder. I've begun to make changes. For a bike this size, it was sold with laughably narrow handlebars and really lousy pedals. The rest of the stock components are pretty decent. It's kept me sane during the lockdown since I could legally take it out for solo rides. Apologies for the lousy, mid-day mobile phone pic.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Motorola one  Photo 
06-02-2020, 06:16 PM   #1878
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photocles Quote
I've been hanging around this forum for 5 years and this is the first time I've bumped into this particular thread. Nice!

This was my January acquisition; a Montague Highline folder. I've begun to make changes. For a bike this size, it was sold with laughably narrow handlebars and really lousy pedals. The rest of the stock components are pretty decent. It's kept me sane during the lockdown since I could legally take it out for solo rides. Apologies for the lousy, mid-day mobile phone pic.
I see the Arizona state flag. Are you from there?
06-03-2020, 01:02 AM - 2 Likes   #1879
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Are you from there?
I am! My wife is Irish and we decided to move to Galway in 2007 for a work-related endeavor. It was supposed to be a two-year exercise, but the economy's dive in 2008-2009 kept us here. We're still trying to coordinate the return. From the current situation, it doesn't look like it's going to happen very soon.

06-03-2020, 04:49 PM   #1880
Pentaxian

Definitely wait at least a few months. Pandemic aside, it's 111° right now. Made for a toasty ride home today.
06-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #1881
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
it's 111° right now
But it sounds so much cooler in Celsius!
06-05-2020, 02:28 PM - 5 Likes   #1882
Pentaxian

Here's a Pedersen bike I spotted while visiting Cambridge a few years ago. When I first saw this bike, I had no idea what I was looking at was a 120-year old design. I'd really like to try one out just to see what it would be like on the road.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-05-2020, 04:06 PM   #1883
Pentaxian

Wow, that is unusual geometry...Seat angle looks... interesting
06-18-2020, 04:44 PM - 6 Likes   #1884
Pentaxian

one from the archives

*istDL2 & DA16-45
06-20-2020, 09:51 PM - 4 Likes   #1885
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great day out riding with friends in the mountains today
06-21-2020, 09:42 AM - 5 Likes   #1886
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote

one from the archives

*istDL2 & DA16-45
Nice shot. Any details on the bike? I can't figure it out. BMX? Kid's mountain bike? Interesting frame.

---------- Post added 06-21-20 at 09:51 AM ----------

Got up early this morning for a ride in the city alone, on my fancy bike. I bought the frame from a guy in Tuscon two years ago, and built it up mostly with old Dura-Ace stuff from eBay.

I couldn't find any pictures of Smoothies in this color, so I asked Soma about it. They said it's from their first run of this model, from '01 or '02. They called the color "nuclear copper."

06-21-2020, 01:27 PM   #1887
Pentaxian

Any details on the bike? I can't figure it out. BMX? Kid's mountain bike? Interesting frame.
Was taken about 2007 and is indeed a BMX bike but no down tube beneath the saddle. Structural strength is maintained by the webbing placed under the top tube. I think this is purely 'style over form' as the weight of the webbing is probably greater than the weight of the missing down tube. Dont know anything else - just a snap taken outside a public sports hall one evening.
06-22-2020, 08:17 AM   #1888
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shot. Any details on the bike? I can't figure it out. BMX? Kid's mountain bike? Interesting frame.

---------- Post added 06-21-20 at 09:51 AM ----------

Got up early this morning for a ride in the city alone, on my fancy bike. I bought the frame from a guy in Tuscon two years ago, and built it up mostly with old Dura-Ace stuff from eBay.

I couldn't find any pictures of Smoothies in this color, so I asked Soma about it. They said it's from their first run of this model, from '01 or '02. They called the color "nuclear copper."

No toe clips on those pedals? Or, are they just not found anymore...? I've never had a bike with straight blades. I usually like a little rake to absorb some road shock.
06-22-2020, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #1889
Pentaxian

Just platform pedals. I couldn't imagine strapping my feet into the bike, and I'm not sold on modern "clipless" pedals, either. I don't like the idea of needing special shoes (or special clothes of any kind) to ride my bike.

The fork (inexpensive cro-mo from Nashbar) came with the frame, and I was wary of the straight blades, too. But it doesn't seem to make a bit of difference. I've always ridden steel bikes with curved forks, but somehow this is the smoothest bike I've ever ridden. The tires are more supple and race-y than what I usually get, so that might have something to do with it, and the frame seems to soak up any remaining vibration. It just glides over anything but the roughest roads.
06-27-2020, 01:00 PM - 7 Likes   #1890
Pentaxian

I have too many bikes. For years I've been thinking "I need to sell one or two of these," and then I never get around to it. With the market so hot right now, I couldn't wait any longer. I figured my '83 Fuji Del Rey would be the easiest to sell, since most people like riser bars. I love the bike, and I've put about 1,200 miles on it, but it doesn't suit my riding style as well as the others. I like to ride as fast as possible, and the way I've built it, the Fuji is more of an easy cruiser. I put it on Craigslist this morning, for a price I thought was a little high.

Three hours later, it's gone, bought by a Fuji enthusiast who had also just finished re-building a Fuji America. He said he'd wanted to buy a Del Rey back when he was my age, and was really pleased to find one now.

Last edited by scratchpaddy; 06-27-2020 at 09:39 PM. Reason: fix photo link