Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2009, 03:06 AM   #286
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had a little over an hour to kill at Shrewsbury station so I left the family in a cafe and went to explore the station with my camera. I guess a lot of people cycle to the station.

Attached Images

08-31-2009, 05:24 AM   #287
Veteran Member

I was in Amsterdam a few weeks ago...if you like bicycles, you'd love that place. There are dedicated bike lanes all over the city as well as a comprehensive network of bicycle trails and "roads" all over the country.

Jason
09-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #288
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A few more bikes.

09-01-2009, 06:55 PM   #289
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Javier I had to look a few times and yes ... NOW I see that there are some bikes in there ha ha

Mountain bikers on a mountain ! (this was at about 8k elevation)

Click on image for larger view ...

09-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #290
Veteran Member

Didn't know this thread was here

Some random bicycle pictures.

TT Bike

SS/FG
09-02-2009, 04:30 AM   #291
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Javier I had to look a few times and yes ... NOW I see that there are some bikes in there ha ha
Dave, I think that Javier is starting to understand what cycling is about It's the only activity I know of where men and women can participate together and where guys can ride in a peleton following the person in front and not get arrested if the person whose bum they're looking at is female

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Mountain bikers on a mountain ! (this was at about 8k elevation)
<snip pictures>

That starts out looking quite benign and then it gets scary. I think I'll stick to nice, safe roads.

This is Alan and his new ride. He bought it a few months ago to celebrate his recovery from an operation to remove part of a disc in his lower spine.

Richard.

Last edited by RichardS; 09-02-2009 at 04:45 AM.
09-02-2009, 04:36 AM   #292
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
Some random bicycle pictures.

TT Bike

SS/FG
Nice! Good pictures too. Number two looks like a track bike? What rims are you using?

Richard.
09-02-2009, 07:50 AM   #293
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Nice! Good pictures too. Number two looks like a track bike? What rims are you using?

Richard.
On my singlespeed/fixed most of the parts were very old except for the wheels.

DA 7400 brakes/levers
Cinelli bars
Omnium Track crank (new)
Shimano single speed freewheel

Wheels

Kimlin TB-25 rims
DT Competiton spokes
Cheap tubulars tires from YellowJersey.org
DA Track hubs

I do not use it on the track, mostly short rides, some shorter group rides early season, and some trainer sessions. Not my favorite bike to ride but I do appreciate it when I feel nostalgic for the mystical feeling of riding steel.

Addition: I should mention that these are just two of six bikes I currently ride. The collection stands at two road bikes, one time trial bike, one single speed/fixed gear, one mountain bike and a tandem. There are also a few frames and framesets in various stages of disrepair or build up.

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 09-02-2009 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Additional info
09-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #294
Veteran Member

Loosely based on a pre WW2 motorbike, variations of this style of bike are occassionally spotted around the place.
[IMGWIDELEFT]http://www.xjgarage.org/photos/august2009/slides/PICT3769.JPG[/IMGWIDELEFT]
09-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #295
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
My front wheel was getting noisy (click, click sounds) and needed to be re-trued from scratch. It was originally built with black spokes, but they gave problems. I was short of time, so I had it re-built with 'silver' spokes about a year ago. The guy used straight spokes instead of double-butted , but he was cheap I took the opportunity to rebuild the wheel from scratch, so I bought 32 DT Swiss Competition spokes with nipples and some rim tape. This is where we start.

The first stage is to lace the spokes between the hub and the rim. It's easy if you have a cheat sheet

The spokes are still loose and bent all over the place.

Going from here to here ...

involves a lot of tightening, loosening, fiddling, adjusting, all of it done by a spoke wrench. This is where the RSI comes in. Eh! My wrist will heal and I have a good front wheel at last. Life is good

Richard.
Very cool! How long should it take a novice to build up a set?
09-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #296
Veteran Member

From earlier this summer. I had just purchased the K20d and a bag of lenses so I thought I head downtown to watch the famous Tour of Somerville (the oldest bike race in the US):

09-03-2009, 07:10 PM   #297
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Very cool! How long should it take a novice to build up a set?
It depends how much red wine you drink while working out what to do next

This front wheel took me about 2 hours or so (no red wine). Back wheels take much longer because of the different spoke lengths and tensions. My first one took a few days (lots of red wine).

You need a few special tools: a truing stand, a spoke wrench (make sure you get a good one that fits your spoke nipples - something like this Park Tool Website) and a nipple setting tool. The nipple setting tool makes sure that all the spokes start off with nipples screwed on the same amount. It's much easier to start off even and keep it that way than it is to start off in a mess and try to recover. You can make a nipple setting tool from an old spoke with a nipple glued on with a couple of mm of thread protruding. Here's mine

Name:  IMGP1443_small.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  194.9 KB

To use it, you screw a nipple on to the tool as far as it will go (don't force it), then screw the nipple on to the spoke as far as it will go. Then grip the nipple with your wrench so that it doesn't move when you unscrew the tool.

There's a whole heap of info on wheel building on the web. Sheldon Brown (RIP) is a good starting point. Building Bicycle Wheels by Sheldon Brown Have fun

Richard.
09-06-2009, 02:13 AM   #298
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Greetings to all fans of a bicycle!
If there is a desire, you can look photos made participants of my bicycle club during travel at a polar part of the Ural mountains. The route has occupied 25 days. Them was two. There it was possible where to move only on the river or on ocean Ledovitomu, they used a catamaran. Pleasant viewing
Велоклуб "Сороковник" страница 33 - Talks on Mark-ITT The photographer - Michael, (buma).
09-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #299
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drmartin Quote
Greetings to all fans of a bicycle!
If there is a desire, you can look photos made participants of my bicycle club during travel at a polar part of the Ural mountains. The route has occupied 25 days. Them was two. There it was possible where to move only on the river or on ocean Ledovitomu, they used a catamaran. Pleasant viewing
Велоклуб "Сороковник" страница 33 - Talks on Mark-ITT The photographer - Michael, (buma).
I found the Ural pictures towards the bottom of the page. That is what I would call "extreme" bicycle touring. It looks very challenging to me. I am not sure that I understand the last part of your post. Are you saying that at the end, you had to travel by ocean or river? Can you post a map showing your route?

Steve
09-06-2009, 08:22 PM   #300
Veteran Member

How about a handcycle!