Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 884 Likes Search this Thread
03-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #481
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
VaughnA, couldn't agree more on the LHT. I'd love to learn to build steel bike frames. My great-grandfather was a metalworker. Maybe I should give it a try...

er1kksen, you can never be too old! Here's a link to an article about a man who's still riding at the age of 72.

And here's a photo of an 80-year-old man who rides-walks his mountain bike eight miles over steep hills to get his groceries, in all weathers. I haven't seen him since last fall, but he's quick, and I could easily have missed him passing by here. He rides up MOST hills, but this one has a 20-percent grade, and he's carrying a gallon of milk, five gallons of kerosene, and a couple bags of food (hanging from his handlebars). He's about 120 pounds and five feet tall. An inspiration, I'd say.

03-01-2010, 09:03 PM   #482
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
VaughnA, couldn't agree more on the LHT. I'd love to learn to build steel bike frames. My great-grandfather was a metalworker. Maybe I should give it a try...

er1kksen, you can never be too old! Here's a link to an article about a man who's still riding at the age of 72.

And here's a photo of an 80-year-old man who rides-walks his mountain bike eight miles over steep hills to get his groceries, in all weathers. I haven't seen him since last fall, but he's quick, and I could easily have missed him passing by here. He rides up MOST hills, but this one has a 20-percent grade, and he's carrying a gallon of milk, five gallons of kerosene, and a couple bags of food (hanging from his handlebars). He's about 120 pounds and five feet tall. An inspiration, I'd say.

Brilliant!
03-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #483
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
The LHT is a real bike.

I'm glad I'm not the only lover of steel around here. When at the show I didn't even stop at the booths that were using carbon for their frames. I'm contemplating taking a framebuilding course to build my own custom. It's actually cheaper than having one built. I fell in love with steel when I bought an old centurion at play it again a few years ago. I made it into a singlespeed and fell in love with the simplicity of steel and one gear. I've got a ti/carbon bike that I rarely use and may consider selling to buy something steel.
While I have a softspot for steel frames, I know I'd still take a moment to drool at the carbon frames. I guess I look at frame materials like I look at camera brands: all of them fascinate me, for different reasons.

What I really want (and this is a definite future project on my DIY list) is a bamboo-frame bike. Some surprisingly good ones have been built by rank amateurs (which I would have to count myself as) and the ride quality they describe would be very well suited to the sort of riding I usually do, generally long days over rolling countryside.

Is wanting bamboo or steel rather than the newer wundermaterials somewhat akin to wanting a Pentax rather than Canon or Nikon? I must admit, in both cases it's a case of desires that match the economics I have to work with.

Doesn't stop me from owning a nice aluminum frame or planning to buy a T2i, of course...
03-01-2010, 11:46 PM   #484
Site Supporter

Would this bike count?

Attached Images

03-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #485
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
Would this bike count?
It counts fine!

(looks like a model to me)
03-02-2010, 06:16 AM   #486
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
While I have a softspot for steel frames, I know I'd still take a moment to drool at the carbon frames. I guess I look at frame materials like I look at camera brands: all of them fascinate me, for different reasons.

What I really want (and this is a definite future project on my DIY list) is a bamboo-frame bike. Some surprisingly good ones have been built by rank amateurs (which I would have to count myself as) and the ride quality they describe would be very well suited to the sort of riding I usually do, generally long days over rolling countryside.

Is wanting bamboo or steel rather than the newer wundermaterials somewhat akin to wanting a Pentax rather than Canon or Nikon? I must admit, in both cases it's a case of desires that match the economics I have to work with.

Doesn't stop me from owning a nice aluminum frame or planning to buy a T2i, of course...
VERY well put, er1kksen. My heart belongs to steel, but I'm fascinated by them all, and 'boo bikes are very intriguing. I'd love to give one a try.
03-02-2010, 06:16 AM   #487
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Brilliant!
Thanks Javier!

03-02-2010, 06:17 AM   #488
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
Would this bike count?
Sure looks good to me. IS it a model?
03-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #489
Site Supporter

It's a model of an old Roadmaster.

I've used it for a class I took.

Here's one more. Got an A for it.....
Attached Images

03-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #490
Veteran Member

it looks awesome, the only thing that gave it away to me as a model is the thickness of the spokes, but that's inevitable.
03-02-2010, 02:30 PM   #491
Veteran Member

I just had 4 mugs of coffee (gotta take advantage of those free refills) at the coffee shop near my house and then stepped outside to notice that HOLY CRAP THE ROADS ARE CLEAR AND IT'S AT LEAST 30 DEGREES.

I'ma ride my bike now.
03-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #492
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just read the whole thread in one go. My modest contributions...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo   
03-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #493
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Just read the whole thread in one go. My modest contributions...
I like the juxtaposition of the motor vehicle and the muscle-powered "vehicles," Remco.

Hope you had a great ride, er1kksen!
03-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #494
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
I like the juxtaposition of the motor vehicle and the muscle-powered "vehicles," Remco.

Hope you had a great ride, er1kksen!
Only two miles (ride to campus to visit the girl, take a swim, ride back), but it was definitely nice to feel two wheels surging smoothly forward with each stroke of the pedal once again. Looking eagerly toward warmer temperatures...
03-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #495
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Only two miles (ride to campus to visit the girl, take a swim, ride back), but it was definitely nice to feel two wheels surging smoothly forward with each stroke of the pedal once again. Looking eagerly toward warmer temperatures...
I'll never understand how anyone can stop biking just because there's snow and it's cold out... I need to bike all the time, it's what keeps me sane and happy. 3 feet of snow and -20c isn't going to stop me.