Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 884 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2013, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #1141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My fixie and how I get to many photo locations around town.

12-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #1142

Not taken by me but of me
12-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #1143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BeerCan Quote
Not taken by me but of me
Ha, I have one of those too. Taken in 1980, riding a Cinelli. Bike still look new, I don't.
Attached Images

12-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #1144
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dedicated to the lovers of bicycles

Unidentified cyclists heading to?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
12-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #1145
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
My fixie and how I get to many photo locations around town.
That's cool. I've been in the bicycle business 16 years now and I've still not gotten up the nerve to try a fixie, but I love my single speed 29r.
12-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #1146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That's cool. I've been in the bicycle business 16 years now and I've still not gotten up the nerve to try a fixie, but I love my single speed 29r.
Thanks, it was a gift from my wife for my last birthday. The frame is the same year as me! It's my second fixie and nicest yet. I'd love a SS 29er myself, or maybe a 27.5er (Santa? You listening?).
I have a Surly 1x1 that probably gets the most use of my bikes and (usually) love riding a single on our high desert trails.
12-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #1147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
If you really have some nerve, try a fixie 29er. I tried it out for a bit on some easy trails, but it was way too rocky in Northern AZ... You can't coast, so there was no aligning pedals to avoid rocks! It was totally a blast, though.

I loved my 29er, but a 650b singlespeed is next on my list... once I get my road bike updated a bit more, of course!

I had some nice shots of some road biking around my new neighborhood the last couple weeks, but, sadly, my darkroom is still partially crippled. Just noticed this thread, but I'll definitely be contributing as soon as I'm up and running again!

12-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #1148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Our trails don't really work for fixies either. I'm strictly road for fixed endeavors and dry road at that. Dirt road is ok as long as it's in good shape.
The singletrack I ride from home has lots of this sort of thing:

Here's some nearby road biking near the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. Not bad either!

Last edited by mattb123; 12-19-2013 at 09:57 PM.
12-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #1149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice! I'm down in Southern AZ now--- nearby where they do the 24 Hours of the Old Pueblo. Headed out there to check out the trails as soon as the weather clears! The road biking here has been fantastic... I'm in a rural area out of town, and went 24 miles on mixed hilly terrain one afternoon and saw a total of two cars!

Here's some typical trail for my favorite area, though:

Mix of slickrock, sometimes mud, hard, fast sand, and ridiculous rock gardens. It's a blast up there!
12-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #1150
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks great! I've been meaning to get to Sedona or thereabouts one of these years; I keep hearing how nice it is. I never seem to get much farther than Fruita or Moab, or maybe St George and mostly just ride close to home. Riding (besides my commute) is pretty much done here for a while. I just got word that Hartman Rocks (in the first photo above) is now groomed for skate and classic XC skiing which is also a lot of fun out there in the high desert!
Maybe see you on the trails sometime...
12-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #1151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Looks great! I've been meaning to get to Sedona or thereabouts one of these years; I keep hearing how nice it is. I never seem to get much farther than Fruita or Moab, or maybe St George and mostly just ride close to home. Riding (besides my commute) is pretty much done here for a while. I just got word that Hartman Rocks (in the first photo above) is now groomed for skate and classic XC skiing which is also a lot of fun out there in the high desert!
Maybe see you on the trails sometime...
Maybe! Mountain Biking is definitely a Fall-Spring activity in most of AZ. I'm a little further from Sedona now-- 3 hours vs 40 minutes, but I'm dying to get back. The trails down here are much different. Narrow, windy, and fast. Fun until you go down, as there are more cacti here than anywhere else I've ridden. You basically have to ride with the assumption that you WILL have a flat at some point if you're not tubeless, and that you'll usually have at least a few spines in you at the end of the day.

I spent a lot of time in Utah over the summer, but never made it up to Moab. There was too much to do in GSENM, Bryce, Zion, and the Kodachrome/Cottonwood Canyon area. There are a few areas out here that look similar to that granite field you linked. Granite Dells in Prescott is pretty awesome. The Dragoon Mountains/Cochise Stronghold are similar, too, but being a climber I doubt I'll be out there and not climbing or taking photos.
01-16-2014, 07:02 AM   #1152
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dedicated to the lovers of bicycles

City bikes for figuring
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
01-19-2014, 11:17 AM   #1153
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Have your say on cycling!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
01-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #1154
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Have your say on cycling!
Some great expressions there in the crowd!
01-19-2014, 05:36 PM   #1155
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by jmschrei Quote
Some great expressions there in the crowd!
+1 on that! A couple of those women look like they think the cyclist is gonna crack up.