Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #1201
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pedaling along on a nice, but brown, Spring morning. Beyond the bike rider is dried-up lakebed, overgrown with weeds

03-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #1202
Veteran Member

We had a gorgeous winter here in Central Florida, my wife and I are enjoying the bike trips around the house.

03-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #1203
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If you use a pressure hose, keep it away from the hubs, Fretless, but yes, cartridges are the easier way to go.
Never clean with water! I learned that about a decade ago. Best way to clean up is to tear down, and clean... massive pain, but it really lengthens the life of a drivetrain.
03-23-2014, 08:16 AM - 2 Likes   #1204
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
another cool shot there wllm
Thanks!

Last edited by wllm; 03-23-2014 at 09:35 AM.
03-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #1205
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
Never clean with water! I learned that about a decade ago. Best way to clean up is to tear down, and clean... massive pain, but it really lengthens the life of a drivetrain.
I like a brush and soapy water for cleaning up the mountain bike after a muddy ride. I agree about watching it with pressure washers around the hubs, BB, and headset but trying to clean pounds of mud off without using water is going to be pretty tough.

Much of my riding is in dusty desert conditions and for that I never need to use water but mud is a different story.
03-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #1206
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I like a brush and soapy water for cleaning up the mountain bike after a muddy ride. I agree about watching it with pressure washers around the hubs, BB, and headset but trying to clean pounds of mud off without using water is going to be pretty tough.

Much of my riding is in dusty desert conditions and for that I never need to use water but mud is a different story.
I think mud is easier to clean... A bucket full of simple green and water, with a set of the Park Tool brushes works wonders. Brake cleaner, WD40, all that stuff should be avoided... a towel works best for drying! As soon as any quicker drying chemicals hit bits of rubber, or get into any greased parts, those are then toast, basically...

Dust is worse, I think. The dryness out here can rot bearing seals in a hurry, and you never know where the dust is going, or what it's getting in to.

I've gone through a couple headsets on my Specialized Epic, but am still on my Chris King one on my road bike. Definitely going to be going the Phil Wood route with the road bike, which I should've done long ago, when stuff was wearing out.
03-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #1207
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Simple Green is good too, and as with anything just use it in the right places or at least not in the wrong ones and you're good to go.
My CK headset on my singlespeed is like 15 years old and has never missed a beat with almost no maintenance at all. That stuff seems to last forever.

03-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #1208
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Simple Green is good too, and as with anything just use it in the right places or at least not in the wrong ones and you're good to go.
My CK headset on my singlespeed is like 15 years old and has never missed a beat with almost no maintenance at all. That stuff seems to last forever.
I *think* the CK in my road bike is about that old. I haven't heard the same longevity about their hubs, though-- the consensus seems to be that they take a long time to break in, and you have to frequently adjust bearing preload fairly frequently to get them rolling smooth.

Psyched to be having Mavics on my road bike now, though, as the set of CrossMaxes on my MTB has been going strong for almost a decade, I've only had to service the rear, and that's been once.

Singlespeeds are too much fun. I've been thinking about getting rid of my Specialized Epic and putting together a nice SS 650b or 29er. Between the Fox fork and rear shock, hydraulic discs, and blowing through a set of tires each season, the maintenance of it is starting to take a big chunk of money out of me. Even now, I think the front brake is due for a bleed, and the F80 up front likely will need to as well.

When I had my old fully rigid SS 29er, I don't think I ever rode my full suspension bike... No maintenance to worry about either, with how BB7s are so easy to maintain and replace pads. Basically, a new organic pad up front, rotate the front pad to the back, make sure the chain was waxed up, and slap on some new tires with fresh sealent.
03-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #1209
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I do road biking and touring/camping, but I love MTB as well. Here's me on some dusty singletrack at Forrest, in the Otway mountains of Western Victoria, Australia.
03-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #1210
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
When I had my old fully rigid SS 29er, I don't think I ever rode my full suspension bike... No maintenance to worry about either, with how BB7s are so easy to maintain and replace pads. Basically, a new organic pad up front, rotate the front pad to the back, make sure the chain was waxed up, and slap on some new tires with fresh sealent.
Yup, I have a bb7 on the front of my Surly 1x1 and it's been great. Still have a XTR V on the back since the frame is pre-disc and there are no tabs.
04-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #1211
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Man! I thought this thread had died long ago. Here are a few shots from this last summer:

Here are a few from a bike race this last summer:

All with the K10D, #1 and #3 with the Rokinon 8/3.5 Fisheye and #2 with the FA 77/1.8 Limited.

Steve
04-15-2014, 10:49 AM   #1212
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not sure if this counts!?

(Front focussed, and cross-posted)

Scan-140414-0007
by Rob_1234, on Flickr
Pentax 67II
Tak 105/2.4
1/1000th @ f/2.8
Portra 400NC
04-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #1213
Veteran Member

Some biking selfies of a kind...

04-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #1214
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pedi bikes and bikes
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
04-26-2014, 09:38 PM - 1 Like   #1215
Veteran Member

Pentax ZX-7 | Sigma AF Asph 18-35 f3.5-4.5 | Kodak T-Max 100 | Legacy Pro LMax 6 min

This one isn't with a pentax but I think it turned out to be pretty cool. Minolta AF2 | Fuji Velvia 50 cross processed in C41