Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2015, 01:47 PM   #1306
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I attached the jig to the bike frame using existing attach points on the front fork and dropouts for the fender and a rack. The camera was an old-school Pentax 67 by the way. So it was a sturdy jig!! Here I mounted it to the back of the bike.

That's really cool. Nice shot and great idea. Can you post a photo of the jig?

01-08-2015, 01:57 PM   #1307
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
That's really cool. Nice shot and great idea. Can you post a photo of the jig?
Thanks. I'll look if I still have it around tonight. It was made out of aluminum angle stock, wood and clamps.
01-08-2015, 05:57 PM   #1308
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I attached the jig to the bike frame using existing attach points on the front fork and dropouts for the fender and a rack. The camera was an old-school Pentax 67 by the way. So it was a sturdy jig!! Here I mounted it to the back of the bike.

Super photo, Tuco, and thanks for the info. Getting so low a perspective really gives a sense of speed underway. I've tried holding my camera at bottom bracket level to shoot motion pictures, but almost wiped out doing that so gave it up. Nice job!
01-08-2015, 06:39 PM   #1309
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Super photo, Tuco, and thanks for the info. Getting so low a perspective really gives a sense of speed underway. I've tried holding my camera at bottom bracket level to shoot motion pictures, but almost wiped out doing that so gave it up. Nice job!
Thanks. I used 1/30th for each shot. The camera only has whole stops for shutter speeds. Too slow of a shutter and the risk of road vibration affecting the whole shot increases considerably.

01-12-2015, 11:38 PM   #1310

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
" I watched a fat bike race today on the local trails. I don't have a fat bike so I skied. "
Thanks Matt - love the fatbike shots (esp the frozen face & the awesome hand/arm covers!)
I loved those Fatbike shots - I have not seen something like that before.

A friend subsequently sent me this link:
http://www.snow-epic.com/
01-14-2015, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #1311
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

inquisitive horse
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-14-2015, 11:28 AM   #1312
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Pheiffer Quote
I loved those Fatbike shots - I have not seen something like that before.

A friend subsequently sent me this link:
http://www.snow-epic.com/
That looks like quite an event! Races are popping up all over the pace around North America too. A friend of mine who is a big endurance racer (won the Tour Divide last summer) is getting into endurance fat bike racing where he rides self supported for multiple days, camping along the trail and carrying or sourcing everything along the way. I like a good adventure but that is a little extreme for me! I'll just grab some photos when I can and then return top a warm bed for the night.
01-27-2015, 01:02 AM   #1313
Pentaxian

This was my bike in 1970 (The training wheels shown don't belong). Taken with a Yashica Lynx 5000. The bike, a Peugeot PX10 was the model used by the French teams in the sixties. Scanned with the K5

01-27-2015, 09:29 AM   #1314
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
This was my bike in 1970 (The training wheels shown don't belong). Taken with a Yashica Lynx 5000. The bike, a Peugeot PX10 was the model used by the French teams in the sixties. Scanned with the K5
A classic!
I have a 1971 Peugeot built up as a fixie for my daily commuter. Such nice old frames, I love the lugs!
01-27-2015, 06:24 PM   #1315
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
A classic! I have a 1971 Peugeot built up as a fixie for my daily commuter. Such nice old frames, I love the lugs!
Not many are aware of the craftsmanship that went into carving lugs in these hand built frames. I still have this bike and it looks as good as it ever did. It was later equipped with Campagnola running gear to replace Simplex original shown. The bike didn't have a lot of use as I also have two Classic Cinelli bikes
02-11-2015, 03:34 PM   #1316
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Speaking of commuting on your bike.... 50,000 bikes over the bridge in less than a month.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
02-23-2015, 05:20 AM   #1317
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful bikes, Arn. A friend of mine restored a vintage Peugeout as his commuter (new wheels, drivetrain improvements, brake pads, etc) , so it continues to live on even though it's more than 40 years old. Those old lugged steel bikes are special.

For a very different beast, or at least the track of one, here's the track of the Endomorph...

(Cross posted with the theme thread Snow.)
03-15-2015, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #1318
Pentaxian

I do love those old bikes. One of mine is a Basso from 1982, with a Columbus lugged frame and Campagnolo running gear. The bike I ride every day to work is a more ordinary Panasonic from 1991, but it works just as well, and it's not especially valuable, so I don't have to worry about it.

The bikes in this picture are thoroughly modern, app-connected and rentable by the hour, month, or year (although you're only given an hour per day before they charge you more). The bikes themselves are a little bizarre, driven by a sealed shaft instead of a chain, with the brakes and gearing inside the hubs. I'm sure they were designed for as little maintenance and as much weather-resistance as possible. This is their website: Grid Bikes

03-22-2015, 04:32 AM   #1319
Veteran Member

Nice contrast Ian, the church looks like a filmset, a front without a roof.....
03-22-2015, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #1320
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't bury your bike- they'r pretty useful for all kinds of other things