Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 884 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #721
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What an elegant Xtracycle, jas0n. Did you build it up yourself? I bet your children love riding on the board on the back.

01-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #722
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A bike-rider's thread - nice! A reminder that I need to get back on that thing. This is just a quick snap while testing a new (used) 28mm lens. The water's not frozen in the bottle, so I have no excuse for not riding

Paul
01-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #723

Some pictures from my vacation last year when I and my SO went by bike from Lund to Oslo; some 1000 km.

Day 1: Heading towards Ladonia

Day 2: Conquering Hallandsåsen

Day 2: Time for some rest after conquering the ridge.

Day 3: Into the light, onto the road

Day 3: Flat road ahead, sunshine and wind from the aft. What could be better?

Day 4: Hills appear as we get closer to Norway

Day 4: Waiting for a swing bridge in Gothenburg

Day 4: Resting at a café in Kungsälv

Day 5: End of the day near Dingle

Day 5: One final pause before arriving at our accommodation for the night at Svarteborg

Day 5: The cabin

Day 7: Now in Norway. One of the thousand hills before arriving in Oslo.

Sorry for a long post and pictures taken using a Nokia N900.

Here are some with a K-7.

Day 4: Bikes get to stay inside too during the night.

Back home: The Fun Machine
01-25-2011, 11:07 AM   #724
Veteran Member

Sorry Tamia my machine died and was off for a while.

Oh, yeah I built it and the kids LOVE it. We are commuting on it all together and where I used to have trouble getting the oldest out of pre-school (school way more fun than dad) now he almost runs to the bike, telling all his friends about the bike along the way. Xtracycle really changed my life. After the kids schools got so far apart I thought I would have to stop riding all together but this bike has brought it all back together.

Thanks for the comment

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
What an elegant Xtracycle, jas0n. Did you build it up yourself? I bet your children love riding on the board on the back.

01-25-2011, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #725
Veteran Member

That ol Trek looks restless. Get some water in there (frozen or not) and hit the trails, the bike (and your body) will love you for it.

j

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
A bike-rider's thread - nice! A reminder that I need to get back on that thing. This is just a quick snap while testing a new (used) 28mm lens. The water's not frozen in the bottle, so I have no excuse for not riding

Paul
01-25-2011, 11:12 AM   #726
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jays0n Quote
That ol Trek looks restless. Get some water in there (frozen or not) and hit the trails, the bike (and your body) will love you for it.

j
Except maybe your butt, but after the break in period that will feel better too!
My first couple of mountain bike rides every spring always remind me of this.

PS - I really dig the Xtracycle too! Looks fast! I bike commute year round but have a pretty short ride which is good when it's below zero like it is this morning!
01-25-2011, 11:12 AM   #727
Veteran Member

@joakimfors, awesome photo blog here of your ride. You have some great looking places to ride there (jealous!!)

j

01-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #728
Veteran Member

Oh yeah I forgot about the butt part. Muscles will be a little tender for a while too but while out on the ride it will all be okay and some beer later can fix the rest

Thanks about the xtracycle and it can be fast depending on the load It has a generator in the front hub for the light and I'll tell ya, on the way home there are a couple hills that with the kid on the back and his gear and my office gear we are so heavy and slow that I don't think the thing makes enough power to light the light.

Below zero demands short commute I would think. Good for you commuting year round. I do too but I may have to miss some days in heavy rain with the kid on now, we'll see how he does. Zero would probably mean Bus or Train though it is not happening here in San Francisco.

j

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Except maybe your butt, but after the break in period that will feel better too!
My first couple of mountain bike rides every spring always remind me of this.

PS - I really dig the Xtracycle too! Looks fast! I bike commute year round but have a pretty short ride which is good when it's below zero like it is this morning!
01-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #729
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

j
Hey, jayson - you really know your bikes. That *is* an old Trek, a '92 Model 700 Hybrid that I bought brand new. That bike & I have covered a lot of ground (mostly paved, though). I'll be covering more soon btw, that Xtracycle is one nice ride!

joakimfors: Thanks for those travel shots - beautiful scenery!

Paul
01-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #730
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh yeah I forgot about the butt part. Muscles will be a little tender for a while too but while out on the ride it will all be okay and some beer later can fix the rest

Thanks about the xtracycle and it can be fast depending on the load It has a generator in the front hub for the light and I'll tell ya, on the way home there are a couple hills that with the kid on the back and his gear and my office gear we are so heavy and slow that I don't think the thing makes enough power to light the light.

Below zero demands short commute I would think. Good for you commuting year round. I do too but I may have to miss some days in heavy rain with the kid on now, we'll see how he does. Zero would probably mean Bus or Train though it is not happening here in San Francisco.

j
My son is now 7 and rides his own bike (weather permitting) but I had a trailer and then a tag-a-long to bring him along when he was smaller. My commuter (we call them town bikes or townies here) is/was a single speed so hills required a little planning (momentum) and a lot of work, especially in the trailer days. Man, it used to feel like it was just a sled some days. I never tried hooking up to my fixie although I considered it - I think the extra mass would be tough to deal with on the dh!
01-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #731
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
01-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #732
Veteran Member

Since my contribution to this thread was mostly not a pentax photo (though the purple bars was) gonna add some done with a Pentax (the FA 50mm f1.4 is probably obvious in these)

01-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #733
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joakimfors Quote
Some pictures from my vacation last year when I and my SO went by bike from Lund to Oslo; some 1000 km.
Good series. Looks like you had a fun trip. 1000km is a good one

Richard.
02-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #734
Veteran Member

I have not looked at what camera this person uses but if you like photos of bikes, this lady has some great bike stuff in her stream:

Flickr: shebicycles' Photostream

02-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #735
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since my contribution to this thread was mostly not a pentax photo (though the purple bars was) gonna add some done with a Pentax (the FA 50mm f1.4 is probably obvious in these)
I recognize the 1x1. Nice ride!