Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2018, 09:57 PM - 3 Likes   #1666
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some higher altitude trails are starting to open now. Had a great day riding with the Mrs.
K-3 & 18-135

Last edited by mattb123; 06-04-2018 at 08:27 AM.
06-03-2018, 08:36 PM   #1667
Veteran Member

Another cracker Matt!

I took out my cube MTB last week for the first time in years, it looks brand new out of the shop basically because it is despite buying it 7 years ago...

I absolutely hate it, I can't stick the change in position from the road bike. It is too cluttered with shifters, Rock Shox, also catching the chain stays with my ankles etc. etc. I preferred the cheap Diamond Back MTB I borrowed 23 years ago, more minimalist, normal forks, less gears and V brakes.

I was a good road racer, could even win criteriums but completely useless at MTB!!! Such a different sport!
06-04-2018, 08:38 AM   #1668
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
Another cracker Matt!

I took out my cube MTB last week for the first time in years, it looks brand new out of the shop basically because it is despite buying it 7 years ago...

I absolutely hate it, I can't stick the change in position from the road bike. It is too cluttered with shifters, Rock Shox, also catching the chain stays with my ankles etc. etc. I preferred the cheap Diamond Back MTB I borrowed 23 years ago, more minimalist, normal forks, less gears and V brakes.

I was a good road racer, could even win criteriums but completely useless at MTB!!! Such a different sport!
Thanks!
Definitely a whole different skillset, especially when it comes to racing.
It sounds like you might have some fit issues on your MTB. A good shop might be able to help if you have specific issues you need to address. One of the things I really like about MTB over road is all the changes in position as I ride. I get stiff on my road bike on a long ride and wish I could change it up more while riding.
I rode a single speed MTB for a number of years that really simplifies the riding experience but it's also pretty hard for big/steep climbs. If you have the legs and lungs for it, that's a nice option to unclutter your MTB experience. I'm back on dual suspension and gears now and I like it. The newer bikes don't have front derailleurs and instead have a bigger cassette range (and clutched rear der to handle that spread) which removed a set of shifters from the bars but they also now have dropper seat posts which puts a lever back where the front shifter used to be. The dropper is pretty nice too. At first I thought they were a gimmick but it really addresses the issue of seat position for climbing vs. descending well and I'm hooked.
06-04-2018, 09:28 AM   #1669
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Thanks!
It sounds like you might have some fit issues on your MTB. A good shop might be able to help if you have specific issues you need to address. One of the things I really like about MTB over road is all the changes in position as I ride. I get stiff on my road bike on a long ride and wish I could change it up more while riding.
I rode a single speed MTB for a number of years that really simplifies the riding experience but it's also pretty hard for big/steep climbs. If you have the legs and lungs for it, that's a nice option to unclutter your MTB experience. I'm back on dual suspension and gears now and I like it. The newer bikes don't have front derailleurs and instead have a bigger cassette range (and clutched rear der to handle that spread) which removed a set of shifters from the bars but they also now have dropper seat posts which puts a lever back where the front shifter used to be. The dropper is pretty nice too. At first I thought they were a gimmick but it really addresses the issue of seat position for climbing vs. descending well and I'm hooked.
The dropper transformed my ride. I used to think, whatever no big deal to stop, get off and adjust the seat post but now I can keep my rhythm and carry the speed with the dropper post.

06-04-2018, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #1670
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
The dropper transformed my ride. I used to think, whatever no big deal to stop, get off and adjust the seat post but now I can keep my rhythm and carry the speed with the dropper post.
Yeah, and I used to crash more because I'd just skip it and ride a technical DH with the seat up too high. Transformed my riding once I could remember to use it too!
06-04-2018, 10:43 AM   #1671
Veteran Member

Thanks!
I definately don't need help from a shop or setting up, like a certain Eddy Merckx I was neurotic about my bike and would never let anyone near it. I built up my first road bike as a junior and loved the position of that bike, a 74° parallel frame, although it weighed 23.5 pounds, I was at school and had no money for anything better, I still raced it and got on the regional team in my first year of racing... But compared to bikes now wow what a disadvantage!!!

When I was in the USA 6 years later I bought a Cannondale Cad3 Dura-Ace top of the range in California (cycled there from Florida), it was twice the price at home in Ireland! However it put me 7 1/2cm behind the Bottom bracket, I got used to it but others that rode it thought it was mental.

I just like the aero road bike position and hate the upright MTB position, I am never going to do technical trails etc. I just wanted a bike to get away from the maniacs in cars on the roads. I should have just bought a set of cyclo cross tyres!!! When in the USA 20 years ago I used a Dawes Galaxy touring bike, it had 32mm tyres and it was great for rough roads, dirt-trails etc. and I never punctured once during that 3000 mile tour despite carrying everything on the bike, it felt as heavy as a motor bike. It had the road bike position and I should never have sold it. 😣

Must dig out a photo of it... If I could find them!
06-04-2018, 11:27 AM   #1672
Veteran Member

Here at last...
First one is in California on the roads that US Postal used as a training camp, Frankie Andreu was staying in the same room at a motel a few weeks before (this was 1998).

Second one is from high altitude near the Arizona/New Mexico border, think it was 11,500ft above sea level.

Attached Images

06-04-2018, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #1673
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
Here at last...
First one is in California on the roads that US Postal used as a training camp, Frankie Andreu was staying in the same room at a motel a few weeks before (this was 1998).

Second one is from high altitude near the Arizona/New Mexico border, think it was 11,500ft above sea level.

Looks like good times!
Bike packing is very much back in fashion these days but it's mountain biking for the most part around here. A friend of mine does very well at endurance races where they ride anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, totally self-supported. That appeals to me, at least that style of camping (not necessarily racing anymore) but it would probably require yet another kind of bike. I like bikes but need to keep my collection under control!
This is my friend Jefe Branham on his way to winning the Colorado trail race a few years ago. Very sparse camping setup for these races and he goes without sleep for several days sometimes.

Last edited by mattb123; 06-04-2018 at 12:51 PM.
06-05-2018, 12:36 AM   #1674
Veteran Member

Looks like good times!
Bike packing is very much back in fashion these days but it's mountain biking for the most part around here. A friend of mine does very well at endurance races where they ride anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, totally self-supported. That appeals to me, at least that style of camping (not necessarily racing anymore) but it would probably require yet another kind of bike. I like bikes but need to keep my collection under control!
This is my friend Jefe Branham on his way to winning the Colorado trail race a few years ago. Very sparse camping setup for these races and he goes without sleep for several days sometimes.
Your friend is a savage! 😁 Of course I understand he needs to do these things to feel somewhat 'normal' and a good self kicking is the only way I can ever feel relaxed and happy. Give him my respect!

I used to race with a fellow who had done the race across America, I think he won it too, he was a top road man in his day. Seen him at the finish of the Irish end to end and I remember him being in a trance while complaining about the pain in his feet.
06-25-2018, 03:00 AM - 1 Like   #1675
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

07-16-2018, 02:17 AM   #1676
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

07-17-2018, 05:40 AM   #1677
Veteran Member

Have a steel hardtail frame from a company in Whistler, BC waiting for me at home right now while I'm out Ontario for work. That and a bunch of parts means I can't wait to get home in a few weeks and build it up!
07-17-2018, 11:32 AM   #1678
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

07-17-2018, 11:35 AM   #1679
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This thread shows off the charms of mountain biking very well.
07-17-2018, 10:17 PM - 1 Like   #1680
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went for a mountain bike ride tonight and it was a really nice evening. I bumped into 1994 Olympic medalist Susan DeMattei who is also a friend and she let me grab a few shots.