Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2018, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #1726
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
A lovely picture of this fellow cycling to a chilled out spot and enjoying a quiet seat. When you go in a car it isn't as good.

I try and do about 10 miles a day and rarely drive at all. I used to have no car and did around 12,000 - 16,000 miles a year including the road racing... Happier times!!! 😃

09-13-2018, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #1727
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you! And quite agree, even though I myself do no cycling at all- the balance is unbalanced .
09-13-2018, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #1728
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
A lovely picture of this fellow cycling to a chilled out spot and enjoying a quiet seat. When you go in a car it isn't as good.

I try and do about 10 miles a day and rarely drive at all. I used to have no car and did around 12,000 - 16,000 miles a year including the road racing... Happier times!!! 😃
Bicycle is also my primary transportation although I also have a car (two in fact). I regularly go a couple of weeks without driving. Until ski season anyway.
09-13-2018, 08:00 PM   #1729
Veteran Member

I'm going to have to give away a few old bicycles, wheels and other equipment I have been hoarding since giving up racing in 2001. I only use one nowadays and will be ditching other stuff and selling others as I want to work abroad for a few years so I'll be renting out my house and I never want to return back to it again.

I've been thinking of truck driving in Australia or even the ice road trucking in Canada/Alaska. I don't know how to get into it but it would be good for Aurorae photography anyway. I'd stick the bike in the back cabin and try and get a short spin everyday. 😁

10-04-2018, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #1730
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I took a visiting workmate out on some fun local trails last night. Perfect conditions!
K-3 & 18-135
10-05-2018, 04:00 AM   #1731
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The gumboot brigade

Last edited by noelcmn; 10-06-2018 at 08:53 AM.
10-06-2018, 07:30 AM   #1732
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Boston Bike

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-06-2018, 08:55 AM   #1733
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

10-10-2018, 10:54 AM - 4 Likes   #1734
Veteran Member

I assume this thread accepts non-Pentax shots? Me and my wife recently spent 3.5 weeks bicycle touring Scotland (and I didn't bring the K-3)...

Last edited by Doundounba; 10-10-2018 at 05:30 PM.
10-10-2018, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #1735
Veteran Member

Beautiful place for touring and nice photos. ��
10-11-2018, 08:13 AM   #1736
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 - very nice
10-15-2018, 05:33 AM   #1737
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
+1 - very nice
Thank you both!

FWIW, we cycled from Glasgow, and after a cycle around Arran, we headed North, mostly on NCN78, to Inverness, and then we returned to Glasgow, mostly via NCN7 (with a detour to Loch Rannoch and Glen Lyon). Very impressed with Sustrans' work in developing the National Cycle Network. The routes are well-signed, and almost exclusively on either dedicated cycle paths or very quiet backroads. The rolling surfaces are usually very good. The diversity of terrain is amazing. The maps made by Sustrans are also very helpful and made planning much easier.
10-16-2018, 09:37 PM   #1738
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Thank you both!

FWIW, we cycled from Glasgow, and after a cycle around Arran, we headed North, mostly on NCN78, to Inverness, and then we returned to Glasgow, mostly via NCN7 (with a detour to Loch Rannoch and Glen Lyon). Very impressed with Sustrans' work in developing the National Cycle Network. The routes are well-signed, and almost exclusively on either dedicated cycle paths or very quiet backroads. The rolling surfaces are usually very good. The diversity of terrain is amazing. The maps made by Sustrans are also very helpful and made planning much easier.
That's good to know. I can't say the same about the North of Ireland, motorists are allowed to park in the cycle lanes. There are very few dedicated cycle lanes which means I now cycle on the footpath beside main roads and only ride on the road in residential areas where the traffic is forcibly slowed by speed humps.

I have just been too afraid the last few years, I have been knocked down 3 times and many many near misses. 1/2 the motorists are driving on drugs, prescription drugs or otherwise. A cyclist was killed last weekend on a quiet road up the mountain outside Belfast, I used that road for interval training many times in the past.
10-22-2018, 08:46 AM   #1739
Veteran Member

I have just been too afraid the last few years, I have been knocked down 3 times and many many near misses. ... A cyclist was killed last weekend on a quiet road up the mountain outside Belfast, I used that road for interval training many times in the past.
Sorry to hear that! I guess the whole "rails to trails" movement might be of interest for you - with many countries now developing fairly extensive networks of bike paths along disused railways and canal towpaths. In Scotland, it's kind of embedded in the National Cycle Network, so you need dig a little, because the dedicated bike path sections of the NCN vary wildly - from the converted railway (wide & flat) to quasi-singletrack (narrow & bumpy)... But for example in Spain there are the Vias Verdes, and in France, les Voies vertes...

In other news, this trip (as well as the training and other rides of the summer) has given me a serious case of GAS. I want a new bike! Mind you, my touring rig has performed admirably, but it's tire clearance is limited (I'm maxed out at 38C), I am annoyed by its toe overlap, and it's a heavy beast. Some of my lesser used lenses have been sporting a worried expression lately... ;-)
10-28-2018, 08:31 PM   #1740
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm fortunate enough to have more dirt options than road. I much prefer mountain biking and only occasionally road ride anymore.
This is some new trail we can ride from home today. Pretty fun!
K-3 & 18-135