Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2018, 04:07 AM   #1741
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice Matt, I love that landscape. Seen mental downhillers yesterday in the forest park, the trails are difficult to walk down nevermind on a bike.

The broken bones and injuries really cause trouble, especially when you are older. I talk from personal experience!

10-29-2018, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #1742
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
Nice Matt, I love that landscape. Seen mental downhillers yesterday in the forest park, the trails are difficult to walk down nevermind on a bike.

The broken bones and injuries really cause trouble, especially when you are older. I talk from personal experience!
Yes, I'm familiar with the pitfalls of going fast but it's so fun I'm like a moth to the flame sometimes.
I missed a Strava KOM on a local downhill yesterday by a few seconds and got second overall which is the closest to a KOM I have ever had! Normally I'm not that concerned with Strava standings but being close to #1 makes me want to go make up those few seconds! I need to do it soon too. This trail is relatively new so the really fast guys haven't been here yet.

Last edited by mattb123; 10-29-2018 at 03:04 PM.
10-30-2018, 09:49 AM   #1743
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Yes, I'm familiar with the pitfalls of going fast but it's so fun I'm like a moth to the flame sometimes.
I missed a Strava KOM on a local downhill yesterday by a few seconds and got second overall which is the closest to a KOM I have ever had! Normally I'm not that concerned with Strava standings but being close to #1 makes me want to go make up those few seconds! I need to do it soon too. This trail is relatively new so the really fast guys haven't been here yet.
You must have been holding onto a bus Matt Just kidding, you must be flying!

I'd need to give up the smokes to be KOM again. I remember tasting blood and lying in the hedges after hillclimb time trials. I did beat Ireland's MTB Olympian into 2nd place a long long time ago. That was a good scalp
10-30-2018, 01:48 PM   #1744
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to race mountain bikes a bit when I was younger but just ride for fun now. I do ok on the uphills but there is always someone faster. On the downhills I have a little better chance of being faster than most but the really fast guys still smoke me.
And speaking of smokes, this being Colorado it's interesting how many successful competitive mountain bikers smoke weed. Doesn't seem to slow them down!

10-31-2018, 07:22 AM   #1745
Veteran Member

Weed and cycling? I couldn't even get out of bed if I did that! That beggars belief. I know a daily 'toker' who took up paragliding and I remember thinking this is not a good idea, it didn't take long before he crashed and broke his back. That was the last of that. Weed and sports are a no go if you ask me. Drugs like EPO, amphetamines and steroids are a yes, just ask Lance or any other pro cyclist from his era or maybe even now. 😀
11-01-2018, 08:59 AM   #1746
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
Weed and cycling? I couldn't even get out of bed if I did that! That beggars belief. I know a daily 'toker' who took up paragliding and I remember thinking this is not a good idea, it didn't take long before he crashed and broke his back. That was the last of that. Weed and sports are a no go if you ask me. Drugs like EPO, amphetamines and steroids are a yes, just ask Lance or any other pro cyclist from his era or maybe even now. 😀
It's pretty popular with skiers and mountain bikers. I can't say I never mix those activities but there are also times when it's not the right approach for the situation (evaluating avalanche conditions, for example). Also, since it's gone pretty mainstream here, there have been many strains identified that have different, specific effects. Some make you feel like you describe, like you can't get out of bed. People use that type for relaxation or even insomnia. But others are more energizing and can give users improved focus. That's more the kind to bring on the bike or skis if that's your thing. I know it seems counterproductive, but in the right setting I have to admit it can be pretty enjoyable.
I'm pretty sure it's not being used as a performance enhancer. More of an experience enhancer.
12-18-2018, 03:14 AM   #1747
Pentaxian

Hi Guys, have just read the last few months of posts. How do you carry your K3 and gear when out on your MTBs?
Getting back on bikes in the next month or so so keen to get out there. With camera.

12-18-2018, 09:44 AM   #1748
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Hi Guys, have just read the last few months of posts. How do you carry your K3 and gear when out on your MTBs?
Getting back on bikes in the next month or so so keen to get out there. With camera.
I usually take my K-3 with a small prime or two or more often, the 18-135 sealed zoom which is pretty light and versatile.
I wrap the camera in a Clik neoprene camera wrap and put it in my hydration pack. Then I try to crash on it as little as possible!
When I shoot, I can just pull one arm from the pack and swing it to the front for access through the zippered top opening.

My pack is a little bit oversized for mountain biking to accommodate the camera. I currently have a Deuter similar to this one but a few years older. I chose it by bringing my camera to the shop to see how well it fit in different packs.
12-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #1749
Pentaxian

Thank you Matt.
Was tossing up whether to carry on body or carry on bike. As you say, in back pack is closer and handier. And in crash condition the self preservation instinct would include the camera and the bike can be 'let go'.
12-18-2018, 04:32 PM   #1750
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Thank you Matt.
Was tossing up whether to carry on body or carry on bike. As you say, in back pack is closer and handier. And in crash condition the self preservation instinct would include the camera and the bike can be 'let go'.
Right, and you are the suspension for anything on your body. On the bike it would get a lot more shock and vibration. Also I don't know how your trails are but mine are too steep for a rear bike rack to be practical. Getting behind the seat on downhills is is often necessary and a rack back there would really get in the way.
12-18-2018, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #1751
Pentaxian

Not that steep. But corrugated and bumpy. Thank you for your advice.
12-26-2018, 11:22 AM   #1752
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So I have a question to anyone who might know about the tire sizing. I have 700c wheels that are about 19mm wide and measure about 12mm inside. 12mm is the most narrow (narrowest?) part of the inside with a wider groove for wire bead tires. Tires that are on the wheels now are 700x 23c but I'm wondering if I can put 700x25c or even 700x28c?
12-26-2018, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #1753
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by furryurry Quote
So I have a question to anyone who might know about the tire sizing. I have 700c wheels that are about 19mm wide and measure about 12mm inside. 12mm is the most narrow (narrowest?) part of the inside with a wider groove for wire bead tires. Tires that are on the wheels now are 700x 23c but I'm wondering if I can put 700x25c or even 700x28c?
Yes, the wheels would be weird if they couldn't.

What you do have to check is that the fork and brakes have enough clearance when you do.

The pros are riding 25 these days instead of the past where they'd do 23 or even 19.

You'll get more road grip and comfort for not much more resistance.

01-19-2019, 08:25 PM - 2 Likes   #1754
Pentaxian

Well, the bikes turned up yesterday - so spent an hour or so taking them out of the cartons and re-assembling. Purchased from AvantiPlus in Cairns and they did an awesome job getting us fitted up and kitted out, pre-assembled and then partially disassembled for the shipping to us.

First time back on bikes in decades for these two sixty plus year olds so we chose from the 'comfortable' Avanti Discovery series - 2XL for me in blue. No 3 XLs in stock and a bit of a wait for orders and I can manage with wire cables rather than hydraulic for the time being. For Mrs Arjay we got the 3 with low bar in a nice charcoal grey. For those unfamiliar with the range these are relatively inexpensive (Not Cheap though) hard tail hybrid. We will see if we need to upgrade in the future when more miles have been travelled.

Then we were out for an hour or so between the wet season showers and got the tyres dirty. Great fun.

These are cell phone pics. Regarding my second question above I took Matt's advice so to carry the K3 we used the Boxing Day specials to pick up a Kathmandu day bag with a further coupon applied it was down from $189 - to $69 - well pleased - will fit the camera and 100-300 lens and will do hydration packs if needed.
01-20-2019, 10:30 PM - 4 Likes   #1755
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

-

-