Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
05-10-2020, 02:08 PM   #1862
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Geodude Quote
The owner must be Italian...
Or possibly Iranian... Great setup whatever.
05-15-2020, 09:14 AM - 5 Likes   #1863
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of the harder trails in the local system. Not a line I ride...
05-16-2020, 03:53 PM - 2 Likes   #1864
Pentaxian

I messed up the teal Schwinn (1988 Traveler) on a ride two weeks ago. I was paying too much attention to traffic and not enough to my position at a crossing, and hit a very tall curb instead of the crossing exit. I managed to stay off the ground, but I hit so hard it bent the fork and the frame. I could still ride it home after adjusting the brakes, but it handles weird and looks shameful with the forks bent back. After tens of thousands of miles on bikes over the years, I'd never actually destroyed a bike before. I won't be hitting 10,000 miles with this bike after all.

I couldn't find what I wanted locally, so I found a replacement frameset on eBay, another Schwinn by coincidence. It's a 1986 Prelude, which was much higher up the product line than the Traveler, with a frame built from Columbus tubing, from Italy. It came on Monday. Each day after work, I've been gutting the Traveler and getting all the pieces cleaned, polished, and lubed for the "new" bike.

Obviously no shortage of transportation options in the meantime, but that was really my favorite bike.

05-24-2020, 10:19 AM - 6 Likes   #1865
Pentaxian

I finished putting the Prelude together last week, and I've been trying it out this weekend.

I took it on a 40-mile ride to Mesa this morning. It's good to have my '80's Schwinn back, sort of. The same, but a little better.

05-24-2020, 10:26 AM - 4 Likes   #1866
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even Teddy is heeding the call to wear face masks during the Covid-19 lockdown.
05-24-2020, 10:27 AM   #1867
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
It's good to have my '80's Schwinn back
Looking good! Enjoy your new/old ride

05-24-2020, 10:06 PM   #1868
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I finished putting the Prelude together last week, and I've been trying it out this weekend.

I took it on a 40-mile ride to Mesa this morning. It's good to have my '80's Schwinn back, sort of. The same, but a little better.
Looks sweet! Great pics too. What groupo?
05-25-2020, 06:36 AM - 3 Likes   #1869
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like your set-up, very '80s looking. The blue-orange is very complementary (color opposites). As a matter of fact I had a tandem custom built back in '79 with the same color scheme. The complete bike weighed in at 32 lbs (with empty H2O bottles). Later in years I've modified it with more upright h-bars and a wider-range cluster. We rarely ride it, anymore, so I may put it on the market. It's all Reynolds 531.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
05-25-2020, 09:07 AM   #1870
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Looks sweet! Great pics too. What groupo?
Thanks! I kept the basic stuff that the Traveler came with, a mix of SR (defunct Japanese company, I think stood for "Sakae-Ringyo") and Shimano. The freewheel is 6-speed, and the downtube shifters are indexed, which I really appreciate. I installed SR Ovaltech chainrings, which are the same as Shimano's Biopace of the time. They effectively reduce the gear ratio on the power stroke. It's a cool idea I wanted to try out, but the difference is slight. Oh, I also added some generic modern dual-pivot brake calipers. Because of a birth defect, my left hand doesn't have enough strength to use the Dia-Compe single pivot sidepulls the Traveler came with.

QuoteOriginally posted by Geodude Quote
I like your set-up, very '80s looking. The blue-orange is very complementary (color opposites). As a matter of fact I had a tandem custom built back in '79 with the same color scheme. The complete bike weighed in at 32 lbs (with empty H2O bottles). Later in years I've modified it with more upright h-bars and a wider-range cluster. We rarely ride it, anymore, so I may put it on the market. It's all Reynolds 531.
I do like leaning into the '80's "look". I was considering several different frames on eBay, and runner-up was red, but I figured blue had better choices for color coordination, plus it contrasts well with the warm colors of the landscape here in pictures. Color opposites was exactly the reason I went with orange for the tape and seat. Bold colors make me happy.

That's an awesome tandem! I can't believe it weighs so little. I'm sure you wouldn't have a hard time selling it right now. There's a lady I know in passing from my morning dog walks. I saw her on a bike ride last weekend. We talked for a bit, and it turns out her husband owns a bike shop in Scottsdale. She was headed there right then to help him assemble new bikes, at 6 AM on a Sunday. The bikes just fly out the door as soon as they hit the floor. I went the Walmart the other day, and there were no bikes. Completely sold out.
05-25-2020, 09:54 PM - 2 Likes   #1871
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Getting some miles in on my new ride. Really loving this bike and setting lots of PRs on Strava which is fun. Did The Big Loop today.

05-26-2020, 09:25 AM   #1872
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks! I kept the basic stuff that the Traveler came with, a mix of SR (defunct Japanese company, I think stood for "Sakae-Ringyo") and Shimano. The freewheel is 6-speed, and the downtube shifters are indexed, which I really appreciate. I installed SR Ovaltech chainrings, which are the same as Shimano's Biopace of the time. They effectively reduce the gear ratio on the power stroke. It's a cool idea I wanted to try out, but the difference is slight. Oh, I also added some generic modern dual-pivot brake calipers. Because of a birth defect, my left hand doesn't have enough strength to use the Dia-Compe single pivot sidepulls the Traveler came with.
I used to run Biopace on a 90's MTB. Never felt quite right to me. I currently also ride a 1971 Peugeot that has been rebuilt into a fixie. I put fenders and a rack on it and it makes a fun commuter townie.
05-26-2020, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #1873
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Doc keeping an eye on me from the patio deck. You can also see my old Diamondback Outlook - not high-end at all, but it was a tall frame and perfect for my needs. I had to sell it when I moved.
05-31-2020, 01:52 PM - 2 Likes   #1874
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sunset traction

Last edited by paulh; 06-02-2020 at 02:58 PM.
06-01-2020, 10:07 PM - 2 Likes   #1875
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good ride today