Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
Damn Brit

What fun a reversing adapter is. Continuing Thread

I just received a 49mm reversing adapter. These are taken with FA50 f/1.4 reversed.
These were taken hand held so focusing isn't that sharp, time to break out the macro focusing rail, but what fun, certainly a different perspective than a standard macro lens.

EDIT I will be adding more pictures to this thread whenever I use the reversing ring.

Feel free to add your own anyone

Last edited by Damn Brit; 04-29-2010 at 09:57 PM.
05-25-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i'm still debating buying a reversing ring or just making my own. Posted a picture a little while ago with a reversed 28mm lens, great fun isn't it?

Good shots, I'm interested to try some macro rails...body control is great but its hit or miss =)
05-25-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
jeffkpotter

It is fun isn't it Gary? I especially like the third and fourth images. I recognize some of these but what in the world is that monstrously beautiful no.4? It looks hungry!
05-25-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by jmbradd Quote
i'm still debating buying a reversing ring or just making my own. Posted a picture a little while ago with a reversed 28mm lens, great fun isn't it?

Good shots, I'm interested to try some macro rails...body control is great but its hit or miss =)
Thanks, I remember the one you posted.

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
It is fun isn't it Gary? I especially like the third and fourth images. I recognize some of these but what in the world is that monstrously beautiful no.4? It looks hungry!
Thanks Jeff, the fourth one is a Zinnia, just starting to open.

BTW, I kicked the Soft Focus thread back into life. I'd been meaning to post in it for a while. The sixth shot I posted was my first with the reversing adapter.

05-25-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting effect. I personally like the last one the best Gary. JIM
05-25-2009, 11:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The pic's look nice Gary

I recently got one myself, new. Although I haven't had much time to use it I've had some pleasant results... just not up to my standards yet.
If I hadn't just cleaned my computers hard drives I would have posted a few.

The one thing I've learned is choosing the right lens makes all the difference in the world.

So far I've tried my M-Series 50mm f2.0, Super Tak 50mm f1.4, my Super Tak 35mm f2.0, a Super Tak 135mm f3.5 (which doesn't work with the reverse setup at all) along with my Vivitar Series 1 - 28mm f2.8.
For my use the 50mm f2.0 gives me the best DOF. Although I don't believe that it's a true 1 to 1.
In my opinion the Vivitar 28mm f2.8 is practically unusable, due to a ridiculously narrow DOF. Even at f16 I only had about 1/2 of a small spiders leg in focus

If you don't have the information insert which came in the box let me know. And I'll either scan it and e-mail it to you, or even just post it
05-26-2009, 12:54 AM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Interesting effect. I personally like the last one the best Gary. JIM
Thanks Jim, I really like the background in that shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
The pic's look nice Gary

I recently got one myself, new. Although I haven't had much time to use it I've had some pleasant results... just not up to my standards yet.
If I hadn't just cleaned my computers hard drives I would have posted a few.

The one thing I've learned is choosing the right lens makes all the difference in the world.

So far I've tried my M-Series 50mm f2.0, Super Tak 50mm f1.4, my Super Tak 35mm f2.0, a Super Tak 135mm f3.5 (which doesn't work with the reverse setup at all) along with my Vivitar Series 1 - 28mm f2.8.
For my use the 50mm f2.0 gives me the best DOF. Although I don't believe that it's a true 1 to 1.
In my opinion the Vivitar 28mm f2.8 is practically unusable, due to a ridiculously narrow DOF. Even at f16 I only had about 1/2 of a small spiders leg in focus

If you don't have the information insert which came in the box let me know. And I'll either scan it and e-mail it to you, or even just post it
Hey Stu, how's it going?

Yeah I got the booklet, haven't read it yet.

That was the first lens I had at hand. I can have fun finding out which of my lenses will work.
I really like the almost 3D effect that the DOF gives.

05-26-2009, 02:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been trying to get one of those adapters locally for ages. The last shop I went into the bloke looked at me as if I'd just stepped out of the Ark, then tried to sell me a Nikon with a macro lens for a squillion dollars. Like jmbradd, I may just have to make one of my own. Your great pics have convinced me that there's much fun to be had , so I'll keep looking.

What's the technique for using one of these? I take it your normal focus ring doesn't work in reverse and presumably you can't use a zoom lens. How do you meter? Any info you feel like passing on would be much appreciated.
05-26-2009, 03:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

these are fun, Gary, I like them. I should try this some time!
05-26-2009, 03:17 AM   #10
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
I've been trying to get one of those adapters locally for ages. The last shop I went into the bloke looked at me as if I'd just stepped out of the Ark, then tried to sell me a Nikon with a macro lens for a squillion dollars. Like jmbradd, I may just have to make one of my own. Your great pics have convinced me that there's much fun to be had , so I'll keep looking.

What's the technique for using one of these? I take it your normal focus ring doesn't work in reverse and presumably you can't use a zoom lens. How do you meter? Any info you feel like passing on would be much appreciated.
Thanks for the comment.
I tried it in AV mode and it was way under exposing so I used that information to set it manually. Basically you focus by moving the camera backwards and forwards in front of the subject.
You should check out this thread MikeSF posted, he's doing great with his; https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/59952-stargazer-lily-mor...ing-macro.html
Zeek10d does excellent work; https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/55949-reverse-28mm-tamron-1-4x-insects.html
05-26-2009, 03:59 AM   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
i done same thing yesterday!
i reverse same lens but without adapter... it's quite difficult to take photos when lens isn't fixed

(here's my example)

actually, last week (when i reverse smc-M 50/2 on sears 135/2.8 for the first time) i decided to reverse every lens i have! and in every lens-combination i can make
05-26-2009, 04:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

"You Damn Brit", now you made me buy one

Great shots.
05-26-2009, 05:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

G'day Gary!

Nice images.

I really need to get back into this. I used to use a reversed lens on a bellows in my (Canon) film days. Even hunted down an older FD50mm breech lock lens with aperture lock lever for the job.

Fortunately, in the Pentax world its not a problem on the manual aperture lenses as you so nicely illustrate. Trouble is - as Wombat points out - we antipodeans are poorly served by local suppliers. Might need to source this on the web when the AUD$ has sufficiently recovered.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote

As for technique - you focus by moving the lens and camera as Gary says. Not too hard. A focus rail helps, but if you've got sufficient light, a steady hand or a good tripod its easy enough. There are 50 pages of articles in the April 2009 dSLR User (UK) magazine all about macro as well (lenses, lighting, gear etc), and includes a discussion of reversing rings.

You can use a zoom too - I've done it on my old film camera with extension tubes. It alters the magnification as you zoom and gives you a bit more scope. Of course light is the problem, but patience and long shutter speeds are a virtue.

Thanks again for the inspirational images Gary.

Cheers
05-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That reversing ring will keep you busy not that spring is here.

Have fun with your new toy.

Frank
05-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Now that is close ! I think you will be down and close this summer well done Gary.