Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2010, 09:39 AM   #151
Veteran Member
irishwhite's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: philadelphia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 349


04-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #152
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hampstead, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,424
Got these all today, a beautiful Spring day.
Great Blue Heron:
Attachment 58531
Turkey Vulture, better known as buzzards:
Attachment 58532
Red Winged Blackbird:
Attachment 58533

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 10-16-2013 at 04:04 PM.
04-02-2010, 10:39 PM   #153
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
I finally got one.. It was pure luck, it's a sky rat, but it's a bird and it's flying, and isn't blurred beyond recognition.



04-03-2010, 05:20 AM   #154
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Fries's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gauw
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,437
I subscribed to this thread hoping to get some pointers about BIF Photography and it helped a lot! I won't show you the before pictures; only some after I used the information in this thread. These are the best I am capable of at this moment with my DA 55-300mm.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
04-03-2010, 09:07 AM   #155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hampstead, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,424
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
I subscribed to this thread hoping to get some pointers about BIF Photography and it helped a lot! I won't show you the before pictures; only some after I used the information in this thread. These are the best I am capable of at this moment with my DA 55-300mm.
I like these, but I'm certainly no expert as you can see by my entries above, I'm trying to learn too. I've got the DA 55-300 too, had it for ablout a month, and I think I'm improving with it. I do think there is a lot of luck in getting good BIF shots, right place right time. I haven't went out and tried for these shots, they happen. I do like the ones where the birds have a background other than sky. Keep up the good work!
04-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Fries's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gauw
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,437
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I like these, but I'm certainly no expert as you can see by my entries above, I'm trying to learn too. I've got the DA 55-300 too, had it for ablout a month, and I think I'm improving with it. I do think there is a lot of luck in getting good BIF shots, right place right time. I haven't went out and tried for these shots, they happen. I do like the ones where the birds have a background other than sky. Keep up the good work!
Thanks! I am not a expert to. There is certainly a amount of luck involved; good light and some birds within range. After that a lot can be achieved with the 55-300mm. I try to keep the shutter at 1/320 or more when the lens is fully extended and I don't use the shake reduction whilst panning. There wasn't any exif info on your photo's but it looks like a higher shutter speed might help you getting sharper pictures. I needed more than a month to get some acceptable pictures of birds.

Good Luck!
04-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #157
Veteran Member
borno's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: md-usa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,580
Faster shutter speeds are better, I try to keep it at least 1/1000
Here's one at 1/1600 sill showing some motion blur (not that it's always a bad thing) and he was really gettin' it. I keep the iso at 400 usually or 800 if necessary to keep the speed up. It does take alot of patience and practice, a little luck doesn't hurt either.


Here's what 1/4000 will do, a bit better.

04-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hampstead, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,424
Mine above were at 1/400 and the blackbird 1/200, all at ISO 100. They just happened and I was not prepared for BIF. I'll have to try for some of these, I'll have to try panning without shake reduction too,

04-04-2010, 04:17 AM   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Fries's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gauw
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,437
Borno: Very nice sharp photo's! In most instances I didn't have enough light to up the shutter speed to much. But some blur in the wings is no problem as you said. It makes the photo a little bit less static but it depends of the bird. Some are quite fast. Alternatively if I can I stop the lens a bit more down and that does help in getting even sharper pictures from the DA55-300. Upping the ISO does introduce some noise with my K200D and I find it hard to fix in PP without sacrificing some sharpness. Certainly when I crop the picture a bit.
The sensor in your Canon 50D (according to the EXIF-data) might be better suited for this sort of photography. Anyway, I am relatively new to (D)SLR photography (little over a year now) and shooting BIF helps me a lot in getting to grips with the basics of photography!

ramseybuckeye: With the blackbird it looks like you didn't match the speed of the bird good enough whilst panning. The other ones seem to be better, but still a bit soft. As you already said perhaps without shake reduction the results will improve. Just practice a lot; I know I did. Using AFC in the autofocus menu seems to be helping to. And exposing for a almost totally black bird isn't that easy either I can imagine... Off course the geese in my photo's are relatively slow; with faster and smaller birds I am in trouble! My lapwing photo in this thread is the best I can come op with and I've seen much sharper examples.

Greetings!
04-04-2010, 04:46 AM   #160
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising the forum watching his back
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,621
Like Tom said, birds in flight need at least 1/1000s to stop their motion. Here is one of mine from a month ago.

04-04-2010, 05:27 AM   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Fries's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gauw
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,437
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Like Tom said, birds in flight need at least 1/1000s to stop their motion. Here is one of mine from a month ago.

Aha, I'll have to wait until the sun comes out then! Thanks.
04-04-2010, 05:43 AM   #162
Millionth Poster!
Scottnorwo's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Stafford, New York
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,077
My first entry into this category. Never had much success but here are three almost success.

A turkey buzzard


Immature Eagle next two


04-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #163
Veteran Member
borno's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: md-usa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,580
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Borno: Very nice sharp photo's! In most instances I didn't have enough light to up the shutter speed to much. But some blur in the wings is no problem as you said. It makes the photo a little bit less static but it depends of the bird. Some are quite fast. Alternatively if I can I stop the lens a bit more down and that does help in getting even sharper pictures from the DA55-300. Upping the ISO does introduce some noise with my K200D and I find it hard to fix in PP without sacrificing some sharpness. Certainly when I crop the picture a bit.
The sensor in your Canon 50D (according to the EXIF-data) might be better suited for this sort of photography. Anyway, I am relatively new to (D)SLR photography (little over a year now) and shooting BIF helps me a lot in getting to grips with the basics of photography!
!
I actually like the sensor in my k20d better than the 50d, but the canon focuses a bit faster. I wouldn't have added a canon body but the FA*300 f2.8 I bought was bad (and they wouldn't fix it). I don't really like 800iso on the 50d, 400 is good though, and I liked 640 on the k20d OK. Neat image works pretty good if you have to get rid of some noise.

Here is one with the k20d at 800iso


Here's one with the k100d super
I liked that little body, and just just handed it off to my son who showed some interest in photography
(they aren't fighting )

04-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Fries's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gauw
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,437
In one word; awesome! Perhaps I should work a bit more on my PP-skills. And from the angle the birds above approach each other it doesn't look like a confrontational kind of meeting either...
04-11-2010, 05:04 AM   #165
Veteran Member
ovim's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tre, Finland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,229
Amazing images on this thread!

Here's a shot from this morning. I was focusing on this bird on a branch but just as I was about to press the shutter he took off. I followed and got an underexposed BIF shot. In PP I upped the exposure heavily and reduced the noise the best I could.

Last edited by ovim; 04-11-2010 at 05:14 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
albatross, australia, birds in flight, egrets, flickr, gear, grant, gulls, heron in flight, island, jpg, jul, k100d, macro, pentax, people, photography, pm, post, pp, rod, shot, shots, shutter, silver, swallows, tamron, terns, victoria, vultures
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature BIF with 16-45 gdog Post Your Photos! 0 01-26-2010 03:39 PM
BIF My First Damn Brit Post Your Photos! 10 07-12-2009 07:47 AM
K 7 bif snooked Pentax DSLR Discussion 0 07-11-2009 07:36 AM
Motif No.1 and BIF Keltech Post Your Photos! 17 02-28-2009 11:06 AM
DA* 300mm F4 BIF snooked Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 07-25-2008 06:39 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:10 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top