Veteran Member

Just a random throw-away shot from the Mornington Peninsula

04-22-2021, 04:08 PM   #152
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Just a random throw-away shot from the Mornington Peninsula
Brings back fond memories of teenage years in Melbourne!
04-22-2021, 04:43 PM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Did you get to Victoria Noel ?
I'm home awaiting my K3iii arrival.... then I might sneek off up the flinders for a solo session.... I'll let you know if I'm passing through Dave... maybe a catch up if you're around.
04-22-2021, 05:40 PM - 5 Likes   #154
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
loved Hobart and the Mona museum which I specifically went to see, would love to back to Tasmania
I love Tassie too. I've been quite a few times and every trip is different.

One of the best travel experiences I have ever had was a day trip in a light plane from Hobart into the wilderness of the Southwest National Park (a UNESCO World Heritage Area). It was with a small group in two twin engine propeller aircraft. (I'll split this post in two.)

We flew over spectacular and remote coastline along the south coast.

Turned north at Cox's Bight.

Flew over the buttongrass plains.

And landed at the remote Melaleuca airstrip in a beautiful valley.

Then a boat trip along Melaleuca inlet.

To spectacular Bathurst Harbour

Then back to Melaleuca and the Needwonnee Walk by the inlet, giving an insight into indigenous heritage in the area.

04-22-2021, 05:41 PM - 6 Likes   #155
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But the ultimate highlight was the spectacular flight back. First over the inlet.

Then the entrance to Bathurst Harbour

Along the Old River valley

Towards the wild and rugged Arthur Range

And then over the range. (The other aircraft is just visible here.)

And back to Hobart

If you have a couple of weeks, and can carry a huge pack and be totally self-sufficient, you could do this on foot, slogging through the mud, fording streams, rowing across the Harbour and climbing the Arthur Range. But for the rest of us, this remarkable trip is the only feasible option.
04-22-2021, 06:17 PM - 2 Likes   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
But the ultimate highlight was the spectacular flight back. First over the inlet.
If you have a couple of weeks, and can carry a huge pack and be totally self-sufficient, you could do this on foot, slogging through the mud, fording streams, rowing across the Harbour and climbing the Arthur Range. But for the rest of us, this remarkable trip is the only feasible option.
Fantastic Shots Des!
Speaking of air flights here is William Creek.

And a few of their clientele!

We happened to be there when the shitbox rally passed through. Some creative car modification

There brought a limo to fit the spit roaster

04-22-2021, 07:21 PM   #157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I love Tassie too.
Magnificent series (x2), Des. Really really magnificent.

here is William Creek.
William Creek is a bit different to Tassie, eh?
Nice.

04-22-2021, 09:11 PM   #158
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I'm home awaiting my K3iii arrival.... then I might sneek off up the flinders for a solo session.... I'll let you know if I'm passing through Dave... maybe a catch up if you're around.
Sounds good Noel
Looking forward too it.

Dave
04-22-2021, 09:14 PM   #159
dbs
Pentaxian

I love Tassie too. I've been quite a few times and every trip is different.

One of the best travel experiences I have ever had was a day trip in a light plane from Hobart into the wilderness of the Southwest National Park (a UNESCO World Heritage Area). It was with a small group in two twin engine propeller aircraft. (I'll split this post in two.)

We flew over spectacular and remote coastline along the south coast.

Turned north at Cox's Bight.

Flew over the buttongrass plains.

And landed at the remote Melaleuca airstrip in a beautiful valley.

Then a boat trip along Melaleuca inlet.

To spectacular Bathurst Harbour

Then back to Melaleuca and the Needwonnee Walk by the inlet, giving an insight into indigenous heritage in the area.

Lovely series there Des
I want to go back there again too.

Dave
04-22-2021, 09:33 PM   #160
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

... One of the best travel experiences I have ever had was a day trip in a light plane from Hobart into the wilderness of the Southwest National Park (a UNESCO World Heritage Area). It was with a small group in two twin engine propeller aircraft.
How special was that! It's a grand, rugged landscape that lends itself to aerial inspection. A mate and I chartered a Cessna years ago and landed on the white beach at Lake Pedder, a few years before it was drowned by the Hydro. Alas, no pictures, but still etched in my mind 50+ years on.
04-22-2021, 10:34 PM - 1 Like   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A view into the past, The year 1961 finds me as a 19 year old at the ocean side town of Coolum Queensland, pointing to Mount Ninderry to the west. The land is mostly undeveloped. A third of a century later, after living in Canada, I returned to Australia and built my house on the hill I am pointing to. Who could have guessed that this photo also pointed to the future I had never planned for. Sixty years later I still live on the hill I was pointing to.
[IMG][/IMG]

Looking back to Coolum and the ocean from Mount Ninderry. 28mm lens
[IMG][/IMG]
04-22-2021, 10:41 PM - 2 Likes   #162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm very partial to the NSW South Coast - generally shortish, picturesque beaches recessed between prominent headlands. There's only a distant beach in this shot, but a rapidly building surf at Bermagui about five hours south of Sydney. The cloud-shrouded peak is Gulaga, the most obvious high point in the region. It was named and mapped as Mt Dromedary on James Cook's voyage to Sydney in April 1770 but is now recognised for its significance to the indigenous Yuin people. KP + smc DA21 1/500th f8 ISO800
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
04-23-2021, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #163
Veteran Member

Passed through Mt Gambier SA recently. Famous for large holes in the ground
Umpherston Sinkhole Garden

And the Blue lake volcanic crater and local water supply

04-23-2021, 04:08 PM   #164
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great to see this thread take off. Lots of wonderful and diverse images - which is the whole point isn't it?
Fantastic Shots Des!
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Magnificent series (x2), Des. Really really magnificent.
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Lovely series there DesI want to go back there again too.
QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
How special was that! It's a grand, rugged landscape that lends itself to aerial inspection.
Thanks to each of you. We were lucky with the weather - it rains 200 days a year. The best time to go is March, just before the Orange-bellied Parrots leave (they had gone a couple of weeks before we got there) - you may be taken to the breeding site. It's also generally the driest time of year.
QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
A mate and I chartered a Cessna years ago and landed on the white beach at Lake Pedder, a few years before it was drowned by the Hydro. Alas, no pictures, but still etched in my mind 50+ years on.
That's literally a memory of a lifetime. Other people took photos anyway: The Habitat Advocate » Blog Archive Lake Pedder - the victim of an ignorant time - The Habitat Advocate There was a study some years back that showed that the lake could still be restored - what a dream that would be.
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
A view into the past, The year 1961 finds me as a 19 year old at the ocean side town of Coolum Queensland, pointing to Mount Ninderry to the west. The land is mostly undeveloped. A third of a century later, after living in Canada, I returned to Australia and built my house on the hill I am pointing to. Who could have guessed that this photo also pointed to the future I had never planned for. Sixty years later I still live on the hill I was pointing to.
That's really special Arnold. Thanks for sharing.
04-23-2021, 10:54 PM - 1 Like   #165
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's literally a memory of a lifetime. Other people took photos anyway: The Habitat Advocate » Blog Archive Lake Pedder - the victim of an ignorant time - The Habitat Advocate There was a study some years back that showed that the lake could still be restored - what a dream that would be.
Many thanks for this link. A couple of iconic Lake Pedder shots tugged at my heartstrings, rekindled anger at how governments can become such bloodyminded environmental vandals, and reminded me how fortunate we are that photographers like Olegas Truchanas documented the area so passionately before it was desecrated. The sound track was a fitting match too.