Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2014, 09:20 AM   #361
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Here's a self-portrait and a story. First, the shot..

The unplanned picture was taken with a K-30 propped up on a rusty air conditioner dumped in the middle of a field. I had my F 50mm f/1.7 lens on the camera. The focus point is in the center so I'm a little soft and the background is very sharp. ISO 100, f/7.1, 1/200 shutter.

Now the story...

I will never forget this self portrait. Getting to this area was very, very hard.

I had to jump a creek, maybe a meter wide. When I came to the crossing I hesitated. On the one hand I thought I should be able to jump the meter but something was telling me to not do it. It was a strange feeling to hear the sound of what must have been the voice of caution. I started to walk away but then turned back around to face the creek. My mind started to rationalize the challenge but there was no logical conclusion to it. I decided to do it because it was scary. In retrospect, I see what a stupid reason this was!

I leapt! Oh, what a feeling! I felt so confident. My fear of not being able to travel the gap evaporated. I could see that I was going to make it. What I didn't see was how I would land.

I lifted off with my right foot and started to land with my left. When my left foot contacted the landing spot I heard (and felt) a *crack* and then a *pop*! Oh, the pain was tremendous! At first I thought I twisted my ankle. I grabbed it and massaged it. It started to feel better and actually hobbled along to where I took this self portrait. The day worn on and my foot started feeling worse and worse! My foot was inflating like a balloon! I knew something was wrong so I went to my local urgent care center fearing that I had broken my foot. After getting x-rays and suffering through a long wait time the doctor told me I had torn my plantar fascia. That's the muscle on the underside of our feet.

My left foot is nearly useless now. I can't bend it or put much weight on it. It's like the end of a club now. Never before have I been so thankful for vertical surfaces to lean against and the support bars in a handicap toilet stall. Looking back on this shot I am amazed I was able to get as far as I did that day!

This shot is probably the last adventure shot I will be taking for a while. Now I am looking for inspiration from my chair or whatever stationary point I find myself in. There's plenty to look at - colors, shapes, forms and structures... but I need to turn my looking into seeing ala Paul Strand.
Man, how I know what you're feeling. I broke my left ankle twice; the first one when I was younger, on the outside part (twisted inwards), the second a couple of years ago, this time on the inside (and twisted outwards)... Both while playing soccer... Some guys just don't like being dribbled...

01-02-2015, 12:27 AM - 1 Like   #362
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

01-02-2015, 01:18 AM   #363
Pentaxian

My copy of the Silmarillion is exactly the same old one as yours, Mtux. I haven't read it though.
01-02-2015, 01:33 AM   #364
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
My copy of the Silmarillion is exactly the same old one as yours, Mtux. I haven't read it though.
I just started reading it last week.

01-03-2015, 04:17 AM   #365
Veteran Member

Not sure I would call this a portrait but it is definitely me

Me :-)
by Pablo Margulies, on Flickr
01-10-2015, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #366
Veteran Member

Decided to do a long exposure self portrait for "Single in January"....

01-10-2015, 04:06 PM   #367
Veteran Member

I don't think I have a lens wide enough so don't wait on me.

01-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #368
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is one that goes way back on Kodachrome. 1961 Experimental self portrait with 1b bulb flash on Kodak Retinette triplet viewfinder camera. No auto focus or auto flash here.
01-11-2015, 04:34 AM   #369

Photos: Gallery
Playing with multi exposure mode on the K-3.

01-20-2015, 08:21 PM - 2 Likes   #370
Veteran Member

01-21-2015, 11:01 PM - 2 Likes   #371
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
02-09-2015, 02:30 PM   #372
Pentaxian

Red hat in the rain.
02-10-2015, 10:03 PM - 1 Like   #373
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
An oldie, That's me, many years ago, hiding behind a Bronica SQ, in the air lock of a recently landed Space Shuttle,
Photo was for documentation of the visor condition post flight.
If you can imagine being in a phone booth with two big guys and trying to take photos of them, you get an idea of the challenge,
Was not a fisheye lens, I think it was a 40mm, the distortion in the shot comes from the helmet visor.
Luckily the walls were white, and we could bounce the flash off them to illuminate the scene.
Attached Images

02-15-2015, 11:02 AM   #374
Veteran Member

Got a flash meter so had to test it on my only willing model (myself)
03-24-2015, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #375
Veteran Member

Two recent selfies