Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2018, 09:22 AM - 2 Likes   #1186
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Commack, NY
Posts: 1,455
QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
I really like Grumman's wing folding mechanism, it's brilliant and elegant.
You're correct about it being both brilliant and elegant! The story is that Leroy Grumman thought of this approach while playing with an eraser and a paperclip while sitting at his desk in his office. While we were still Grumman, before Northrop took over and destroyed the culture and decimated Bethpage, we had that eraser and paperclip on display in the corporate headquarters (in Bethpage). I don't know where they reside now, although I suspect it's down in Melbourne, FL, at the NG Aerospace Systems HQ there.

Here are 2 more shots of the TBM, one with a better view of the wing folding.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
09-06-2018, 11:38 AM - 3 Likes   #1187
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Commack, NY
Posts: 1,455
Grumman WF-2 (aka: Willy Fudd, and renamed to E-1B when the Navy changed their aircraft numbering scheme) on the flight deck of the Intrepid. I used to see these things flying over my house in the 1960's, when I lived 1.5 miles from the end of the Grumman Aerospace runway.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
09-08-2018, 02:02 PM - 3 Likes   #1188
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,528
An A6 Intruder and an EA6B near NAS Whidbey and Oak Harbor, Washington on Whidbey Island. K5IIs, Sigma 28mm f2.8 Miniwide.


Last edited by Racer X 69; 09-08-2018 at 03:38 PM.
09-08-2018, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #1189
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Commack, NY
Posts: 1,455
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Intruders near NAS Whidbey and Oak Harbor, Washington on Whidbey Island. K5IIs, Sigma 28mm f2.8 Miniwide.

Nice shot. Just be aware that the aircraft to the rear is not an Intruder. It's actually an EA-6B Prowler, an electronic warfare aircraft derived from the Intruder. It can be distinguished from the Intruder by the rear cockpit which carries 2 electronic warfare officers, and by the antenna pod at the top of the vertical tail. It also normally carries 4 EW pods, one of which can be seen outboard of the HARM missile on the portside wing. Whidby is the home of the Navy's EW squadron.


Last edited by subsea; 09-08-2018 at 02:59 PM.
09-08-2018, 03:01 PM   #1190
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,528
QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
Just be aware that the aircraft to the rear is not an Intruder. It's actually an EA-6B Prowler, an electronic warfare aircraft derived from the Intruder. It can be distinguished from the Intruder by the rear cockpit which carries 2 electronic warfare officers, and by the antenna pod at the top of the vertical tail. It also normally carries 4 EW pods, one of which can be seen outboard of the HARM missile on the portside wing.
I used to know all that but it has been 53 years since my family lived there.

Thanks for the correction.
09-08-2018, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #1191
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Commack, NY
Posts: 1,455
I couldn't help myself! They were 2 of the aircraft I had a very small part in as an aerodynamics engineer early in my career with Grumman.
09-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #1192
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,528
QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
I couldn't help myself! They were 2 of the aircraft I had a very small part in as an aerodynamics engineer early in my career with Grumman.
We lived in the naval housing projects just outside the gate to Ault Field. I could see the runway from my bedroom window. At night they would take off from the airfield, fly to the strip halfway down the island and do a touch and go, then come back to Ault Field and do another touch and go, repeatedly, all night long.

I would stay up almost all night watching them.

That runway is inactive now (the one at Ault Field) and there are two new ones in use. The strip part way down the island is still there, and in use, although the local residents whine about it.

I guess they don't understand the sound of Freedom.
09-08-2018, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #1193
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,528
A Douglas A3D-2P, serial number 144825, built by Douglas Aircraft, El Segundo, California, 3 December 1959, on display at NAS Whidbey.

Pentax K5IIs, Sigma 28mm f2.8 Miniwide.




09-08-2018, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #1194
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
wtlwdwgn's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Billings, MT
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,745
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I guess they don't understand the sound of Freedom.
One man's noise is another man's music!
09-08-2018, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #1195
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Commack, NY
Posts: 1,455
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
We lived in the naval housing projects just outside the gate to Ault Field. I could see the runway from my bedroom window. At night they would take off from the airfield, fly to the strip halfway down the island and do a touch and go, then come back to Ault Field and do another touch and go, repeatedly, all night long.

I would stay up almost all night watching them.

That runway is inactive now (the one at Ault Field) and there are two new ones in use. The strip part way down the island is still there, and in use, although the local residents whine about it.

I guess they don't understand the sound of Freedom.
That's OK. The Grumman runway in Bethpage, NY, now has a water tower growing out of it. The field in Calverton, NY, now has all kinds of small businesses covering it's acreage. Progress!!!

My office used to overlook the Bethpage runway, and I'd be working while looking at all of the military aircraft landing and taking off all day. The good ol' days!
09-23-2018, 02:28 AM - 4 Likes   #1196
Senior Member
vespa's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: gloucester uk
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 147
A few "arty farty" shots.






09-28-2018, 07:52 PM - 3 Likes   #1197
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hampstead, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,424
Name:  20180926PENTAX KP-064.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  71.4 KB

Name:  20180926PENTAX KP-072.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  72.2 KB
09-28-2018, 09:48 PM - 4 Likes   #1198
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Commack, NY
Posts: 1,455
Three images of a Douglas A-4B on the hanger deck of the Intrepid. (K-3II and HD DA 16-85mm).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
09-30-2018, 02:39 AM - 3 Likes   #1199
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hamburg
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 203
A380 MSN 262 on first flight approaching XFW - 2018.09.17
09-30-2018, 03:08 AM   #1200
Pentaxian
redpit's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Athens
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,547
QuoteOriginally posted by Keiner Quote
A380 MSN 262 on first flight approaching XFW - 2018.09.17
That is a rare sight! Great caption
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
a380, air, aircraft, airplanes, airshow, boeing, brisbane, camera, comet, dc3, engines, film, flickr, lens, lynx, mower, museum, nikon, oregon, picasa, post, race, rm, shots, space, thanks, viewing, vulcan, yak, yashica
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tripods on airplanes? zerodaze Photographic Technique 7 10-08-2010 11:19 AM
Night Airplanes and the TJ Memorial cdurfor Post Your Photos! 1 05-22-2010 08:06 AM
Airplanes and Marbles 7.62lew Post Your Photos! 11 02-10-2009 05:05 AM
Airplanes, Viper and Corvette 7.62lew Post Your Photos! 10 09-30-2008 12:11 AM
More Old Airplanes Mark Castleman Post Your Photos! 1 07-06-2008 01:01 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:07 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top