Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2735 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2018, 07:36 AM - 2 Likes   #1126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few arrivals and one departure at KBIL.

06-14-2018, 07:49 AM   #1127
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote

There are some places where you can see F-4s while you are lying on the beach, but I wouldn't recommend it, as Greece is not a spotter friendly country It is a risk and it could get you into trouble if you don't have a written permission from HAF or you're not in an official open day. I can help you though! There is an airshow in Greece every year where you can see the F-4E-AUP performing airport attack and a few low passes (7th Athens Flying Week – 22-23 ??????????? 2018) or stay tuned because I've heard of an open spotters day on September for the celebration of Phantoms' 60years!

Until then here are 3 pics from me (one RF-4E). I will upload more Phantoms as it is one of my favourite aircrafts!

Wow, those photos are pure gold. Seriously, especially the third one is awesome. If you have more of them do not hesitate to share them I believe everyone here would like to see them.
Yes, there is something about F-4. It is one of those planes that are "ugly" but yet beautiful and you simply cannot not to like them .
F-4E-AUP performing airport attack beggars my imagination, I am seriously considering coming to Greece in September now.
It is to be expected taking into account, not too friendly neighbor. But yet I did not now that it is so strict in Greece. I guess it is much easier in Poland as long as you are behind the fence you are usually OK. In Poland, you can also easily watch planes at air shows from behind the fence while planes fly directly over your head can you do that in Greece?
06-14-2018, 10:38 AM   #1128
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sewerynthegreat Quote
Wow, those photos are pure gold. Seriously, especially the third one is awesome. If you have more of them do not hesitate to share them I believe everyone here would like to see them.
Thank you very much for your kind words. I will upload more pics soon. I have many more but not enough time to review edit and post them. Anyway there are more on the way

Yes, there is something about F-4. It is one of those planes that are "ugly" but yet beautiful and you simply cannot not to like them .
F-4E-AUP performing airport attack beggars my imagination, I am seriously considering coming to Greece in September now.
Exactly the Phantom is a huge aircraft of another era, very different from what we are used to see nowadays, smaller, agile and refined fighters. It is a brutal plane and those two J-79s are pure music for the ears of aviation lovers...

You should come, I will give you more information when I know about any open day events or the AFW 2018 airshow.

It is to be expected taking into account, not too friendly neighbor. But yet I did not now that it is so strict in Greece.
If we want to be honest, this is the situation in Greece. When an Air Force is having scrambles for interceptions on a daily basis, you can’t ask to be outside an airport and take pictures like you can do in Central Europe countries for example. Aircraft S/N, armaments, time schedules etc are becoming vital and classified info.

In Poland, you can also easily watch planes at air shows from behind the fence while planes fly directly over your head can you do that in Greece?
Only during airshows and if you visit an airport with a group of aviation lovers after getting the relevant permission from HAF and again with various restrictions on what you can shoot... There are many arrests in Greece of various uninformed spotters that were found taking pics of aircraft, even from spots that were far from airports. If you want to visit an airport and take pictures do it in the formal way!
06-15-2018, 09:44 AM   #1129
Forum Member

It is really good to see that Pentax in a hands of the capable photographer can take such good shots. Usually, at airshows, I am the only one with Pentax for some reason some belief you cant take good photos with Pentax yet you prove them wrong

QuoteQuote:
Exactly the Phantom is a huge aircraft of another era, very different from what we are used to see nowadays, smaller, agile and refined fighters. It is a brutal plane and those two J-79s are pure music for the ears of aviation lovers...
That is why I must come, especially because I am afraid they will retire them some day. I still remember MiG-23 which was one of the first planes I have seen in flight and I loved it. Sadly now it is literally extinct.
From what I see on the AFW web page there are going to be two F/A-18 which is one (i.e two) more reason for me to come. For some unknown reason, Hornet appears in Poland extremely rarely.

QuoteQuote:
You should come, I will give you more information when I know about any open day events or the AFW 2018 airshow.
Definitely do that, I am already looking for tickets and checking tourist attractions (never have been in Greece before).

QuoteQuote:
If we want to be honest, this is the situation in Greece. When an Air Force is having scrambles for interceptions on a daily basis, you can’t ask to be outside an airport and take pictures like you can do in Central Europe countries for example. Aircraft S/N, armaments, time schedules etc are becoming vital and classified info
Sad to hear it is so bad, I hope your guys will not ever have to make use of their training

One more question can I buy a ticket only by the internet or can I buy them on the day of the airshow too?

06-15-2018, 10:37 AM - 3 Likes   #1130
Veteran Member

Wanted to bookmark this thread for future reference, but I thought it was rude to do so without at least posting a pic

BA E170 on landing
BA_airplane by Paolo Del Lungo, su Flickr
06-15-2018, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #1131
Pentaxian

It is really good to see that Pentax in a hands of the capable photographer can take such good shots. Usually, at airshows, I am the only one with Pentax for some reason some belief you cant take good photos with Pentax yet you prove them wrong

That is why I must come, especially because I am afraid they will retire them some day. I still remember MiG-23 which was one of the first planes I have seen in flight and I loved it. Sadly now it is literally extinct.
From what I see on the AFW web page there are going to be two F/A-18 which is one (i.e two) more reason for me to come. For some unknown reason, Hornet appears in Poland extremely rarely.

Definitely do that, I am already looking for tickets and checking tourist attractions (never have been in Greece before).

Sad to hear it is so bad, I hope your guys will not ever have to make use of their training

One more question can I buy a ticket only by the internet or can I buy them on the day of the airshow too?
The reason I switched to Pentax from NIkon is the image quality. I know that I lost some of the Nikon pros by switching but what matters at the end of the day for me is how good are the really good photos you took. I know photography quite well I can say, so I know how to shoot according to the conditions, my subject and what I want to succeed. I know that some people think that Pentax can’t compare with Canonikon but I totally disagree. Pentax got me to the level I always wanted to be (when I was admiring pro photographers work and I was wondering if I ever gonna take pictures like those). I’m totally satisfied with what Pentax offers me. There is no perfect system and every photographer has to stick with what works for him personally. IQ wise I believe Pentax is up there on the top with the major players and even better in some aspects. Another truth about Pentax is that I couldn’t have the equipment I have now from Canon or Nikon. I just couldn’t afford it, because I like to buy new equipment. Anyway just some thoughts and experiences from me. Thank you for your kind words, really appreciated.

Here you can find tickets on line: https://www.viva.gr/tickets/festival/tanagra/athens-flying-week-2018-en/
I will tell you more about the airshow, your staying here in Greece and you can ask me for any info you want

We also hope that there won’t be real fights with our neighbors. I don’t want to speak about politics. I believe that people have nothing that separates them and long for peace and well being, but politicians might have other things in mind

Anyway have a great weekend. We will be in touch for updates about your travel and also I will upload some aircraft pics here just for the PF members
06-22-2018, 01:51 AM - 9 Likes   #1132
Pentaxian

Two photos from a Red Arrows training session. The weather was really bad (UK like!).

Attached Images

06-22-2018, 06:54 AM   #1133
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Two photos from a Red Arrows training session
Spectacular captures there. They are not hanging around so your timing is perfect.
I especially like the second, with the balance of colours.
06-22-2018, 07:52 AM   #1134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What Kevin said!
06-22-2018, 09:03 AM   #1135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Spectacular captures there. They are not hanging around so your timing is perfect.
I especially like the second, with the balance of colours.
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
What Kevin said!
Thank you guys! I really appreciate your words. Even the 4,4FPS of the K-1 are most times enough to get the shot if you are concentrated and prepared for it.
06-23-2018, 08:00 PM - 3 Likes   #1136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Two photos from a Red Arrows training session. The weather was really bad (UK like!).
Love the second one.

A few of mine.

Air races

06-24-2018, 03:07 AM - 4 Likes   #1137
Veteran Member

Taking off against a moody background. SMC-M 80-200/4.5
TakeOff_1 by Paolo Del Lungo, su Flickr
06-24-2018, 03:11 AM   #1138
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
Love the second one.

A few of mine.

Air races

Thank you! Your set is beautiful and with a lot of variety! I like most the blue angels and the Mustang against the terrain. The last pic could use a bit cropping to highlight its beauty
06-27-2018, 10:11 AM   #1139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The last pic could use a bit cropping to highlight its beauty
Agreed

Love the banking Jelly Belly Mustang, too
06-27-2018, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #1140
Veteran Member

Developed this again from RAW after some years just now... I guess it looks ok at web size, but boy does the CCD sensor show its age... xposted from a thread full of ramblings.
Plane_Sunset_3 by Paolo Del Lungo, su Flickr