Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2009, 07:31 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Winner - PP Challenge #5

I'm really glad I had the chance to host a PP challenge, as I really picked up some great ideas on what to do with my image. I initially feel in love with the colors in this image and never gave much thought to try a B&W or sepia conversion. I did find that it was very easy to over saturate the colors even with a simple curve adjustment. I also never considered using a light ray effect and I will be playing with that idea very soon.

Now for the business at hand.

The winner and host of the next challenge is SWEngineer. I think his sepia conversion really fits the image and helped to manage the effects of the bright light coming from the right side of the image (open barn doors).

Nicely done Mark.

Here is the my final edit of the image.

Tim

09-21-2009, 07:45 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member

congrats. SWEngineer got the colors just right, great job
09-21-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Great job everyone. This is a fun way to learn pp.
09-21-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done SWengineer, a worthy winner. Good efforts all round. Bring on the next challenge!

09-21-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done - an excellent improvement from the original.
Congrats.
09-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Congrats SW!
09-21-2009, 08:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks Tim! Thanks also to the others who entered, providing some interesting takes on the subject.

I want to point out that my entry is not really sepia. (It is not monotone).
But it did end up with a rather limited color palette.

Before I start the next challenge, I need to find a suitable image.
Please allow me a day or so. Meanwhile, I want to highlight some sobering statistics:

Challenge #5 ran the longest (that I recall) yet seemed to have the least interest. This trend suggests #6 might not be worth running.
Maybe Tim just had bum luck as the host?
Regardless, I will start PP Challenge #6 and hope the entry count and interest picks back up.
09-21-2009, 09:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I just think #5 was especially challenging. There were probably many who worked on it and in the end did not post.

09-22-2009, 05:05 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
I just think #5 was especially challenging. There were probably many who worked on it and in the end did not post.
I agree, the lighting was difficult and the image oversaturated very easily. I would love to see people list their processing steps to make the challenge more educational but a couple that I've worked on took a fair amount of processing. I'll try to add my processing steps to my future entries.

Tim
09-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Great idea Tim, I also will try to document pp steps.
09-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'd have entered one but I was busy with my Dad most evenings and there've been a lot of things going on. I even had to skip shooting MotoGP this past weekend.

Mike
09-22-2009, 05:05 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I'd have entered one but I was busy with my Dad most evenings and there've been a lot of things going on. I even had to skip shooting MotoGP this past weekend.

Mike
Hope your schedule gets a little less hectic Mike.

Tim