Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Q-Quick, let me get off this road
07-11-2015, 01:23 AM   #21483
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Noel, I just got back from South Africa the other day and will slowly get through my shots. I had a blast shooting all sorts of odd things, especially in Cape Town, solely with this game in mind... Loved my stay, a long visit with a close friend in the Eastern Cape and a week in Cape Town. I have another friend in Durban who was disappointed I didn't get up her way (the return trip to East London by Intercape bus was enough for this round) but I will have to come back. What a gorgeous, complicated but fascinating country you have.

R is for Red Lion Square (London UK)

07-11-2015, 05:56 AM   #21484
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jmschrei Quote
Hi Noel, I just got back from South Africa the other day and will slowly get through my shots. I had a blast shooting all sorts of odd things, especially in Cape Town, solely with this game in mind... Loved my stay, a long visit with a close friend in the Eastern Cape and a week in Cape Town. I have another friend in Durban who was disappointed I didn't get up her way (the return trip to East London by Intercape bus was enough for this round) but I will have to come back. What a gorgeous, complicated but fascinating country you have.
Well now, I am so glad you had a fabulous time and apologise that the African Bug bit you Ah, Intercape- I'll say no more. So many questions to ask- Did you get to Hout Bay (probably yes) and Kalk Bay (I did my 3 years theological studies here)- a lovely quaint fishing village and a visit to one of the wineries out Stellenbosch way? I'd offer a guess that one week in Cape Town is not quite enough. Still, you got a taste of Cape Town. And the Eastern Cape is probably even more fascinating, although I confess a bias there, as I am from Port Elizabeth, which I gather you visited too. That's pretty interesting for someone that is not British Durban would have given you a better taste of the diversity of our country, what with Asians (Indians) by the thousands, and the province (Kwazulu/Natal) has aptly been labelled the last (British) outpost and of course the rich albeit somewhat aggressive culture of the Zulu nation. Its debatable whether Cape Town or Kwazulu/Natal has the better beaches, though I suspect the latter wins, purely because of the warmer Indian Ocean waters. And oh, you have missed the annual Sardine run up the coast of Kwazulu/Natal, a cultural experience in itself. Your friends grievance is justified
Complicated is not the word, though I think that no English dictionary can conjure up a word that accurately describe our country. The complexities of race, culture, politics, history and geography all add to the complications. Did you have any interactions with the "coloured" people of the Cape- I belong to that motley crew .
Looking forward to seeing all your shots when you get over the African Bug virus. Or perhaps you can create a thread for all your images.
Had thought of asking you if it was possible to meet up, bt did not pursue it, seeing that I gathered you needed some quality time from life, but perhaps we can do that next time you are here, and I am still around.

M-Mushrooms

07-11-2015, 09:27 AM   #21485
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Well now, I am so glad you had a fabulous time and apologise that the African Bug bit you Ah, Intercape- I'll say no more. So many questions to ask- Did you get to Hout Bay (probably yes) and Kalk Bay (I did my 3 years theological studies here)- a lovely quaint fishing village and a visit to one of the wineries out Stellenbosch way? I'd offer a guess that one week in Cape Town is not quite enough. Still, you got a taste of Cape Town. And the Eastern Cape is probably even more fascinating, although I confess a bias there, as I am from Port Elizabeth, which I gather you visited too. That's pretty interesting for someone that is not British Durban would have given you a better taste of the diversity of our country, what with Asians (Indians) by the thousands, and the province (Kwazulu/Natal) has aptly been labelled the last (British) outpost and of course the rich albeit somewhat aggressive culture of the Zulu nation. Its debatable whether Cape Town or Kwazulu/Natal has the better beaches, though I suspect the latter wins, purely because of the warmer Indian Ocean waters. And oh, you have missed the annual Sardine run up the coast of Kwazulu/Natal, a cultural experience in itself. Your friends grievance is justified
Complicated is not the word, though I think that no English dictionary can conjure up a word that accurately describe our country. The complexities of race, culture, politics, history and geography all add to the complications. Did you have any interactions with the "coloured" people of the Cape- I belong to that motley crew .
Looking forward to seeing all your shots when you get over the African Bug virus. Or perhaps you can create a thread for all your images.
Had thought of asking you if it was possible to meet up, bt did not pursue it, seeing that I gathered you needed some quality time from life, but perhaps we can do that next time you are here, and I am still around.

M-Mushrooms
Thanks for that great response Noel. I would hope to try to return in two years or so. I have long had a deep attraction to the history and literature of South Africa (and of course there are many ex-pats here). I have been unable to work for the past year after a serious breakdown and I am really looking at values and goals for myself (I'm 55). My trip to South Africa was intentionally slow paced and on the cheap (not counting the R3000 I spent on books - wow books are expensive given the average income). I loved the Eastern Cape, my friend lives in a village on the ocean and watches the sunset over the sourveld every night.
In Cape Town I saw a few of the sights, but spent much of my time walking on the Promenade (I stayed in a little B&B in Sea Point), riding public transit and observing the people. And yes I had a wonderful long conversation with a vibrant young coloured woman in a shop in the city. I also rode the Intercape bus with an older Xhosa man heading to King William's Town with whom I spoke at length and who looked after me when the bus broke down in the middle of the night in your beloved PE. I am probably not the typical tourist.
Stellenbosch will be on the agenda for the next visit, I did meet up with a man who had attended my church a few years back who now manages a B&B there. Now that we have met I definitely will stop a few days there. Getting out of the city this time round was not practical. Durban is a must see. The woman I know there is both an avid reader and a bird watcher, so I will have a guide. Jo'burg is one city I would love to have a guide for too because, well, it does make me nervous and your love for the place shines through. Oh yeah and I want to see the Karoo. So hang in there, I will be back!
07-12-2015, 02:54 PM   #21486
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

S is for shoes.
07-12-2015, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #21487
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
T for Tundra plants

07-13-2015, 12:34 AM   #21488
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

U-Upside down, which all weavers seem to like doing. This is the Redheaded Weaver

07-13-2015, 05:04 AM   #21489
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Vertical

07-13-2015, 09:53 AM   #21490
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

W-Waterbuck-female.
07-13-2015, 02:35 PM   #21491
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did I get back just in time to post XERIC for "X?"

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-29-2016 at 11:59 AM.
07-13-2015, 04:37 PM   #21492
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yarra River, Melbourne Aust

07-13-2015, 11:23 PM   #21493
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Did I get back just in time to post XERIC for "X?"
Welcome back-hope you had a fab time.

Z-Zebra. In the far northern arid parts of the Kruger Park.
07-14-2015, 03:46 AM   #21494
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Approaching

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-29-2016 at 11:59 AM.
07-14-2015, 04:33 AM   #21495
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Boats