Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
H-Hand
04-03-2017, 03:19 AM   #33033
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arn Quote
Great find, Walt. With your science background you might like this link to some of the earliest-dated querns found. Village on the Euphrates
Thanks for that link. I was wondering at the time I posted that image: exactly how old is the quern? The rapidity with which technology has changed since about 1850 blinds us to how long a design persisted before the industrial revolution. And of course the presence of querns in a Euphrates village indicates they had been in use for an unknown time still earlier. I regularly read entries of an on-line archaeological site. It is only semi-popular, gleaning primarily from news releases, but it does cover discoveries world-wide. You expect interesting new material in, for example, the middle east or China, but there have been unexpected discoveries from Siberia that are sometimes eye-popping.
04-03-2017, 03:29 AM   #33034
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Thanks for that link. I was wondering at the time I posted that image: exactly how old is the quern? The rapidity with which technology has changed since about 1850 blinds us to how long a design persisted before the industrial revolution. And of course the presence of querns in a Euphrates village indicates they had been in use for an unknown time still earlier. I regularly read entries of an on-line archaeological site. It is only semi-popular, gleaning primarily from news releases, but it does cover discoveries world-wide. You expect interesting new material in, for example, the middle east or China, but there have been unexpected discoveries from Siberia that are sometimes eye-popping.
unfortunately with the disaster the Middle East - SW Asia has become over the past 20 - 30 years or so, so much of the historical record has been lost through intentional destruction or "collateral damage". It is very disheartening to those interested in history. one wonders how future historians will consider it, has it reached the level of the destruction of the great library at Alexandra?

I is for Intense

"Boy, that Sun is really Intense today"

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-03-2017 at 03:43 AM.
04-03-2017, 03:34 AM   #33035
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
unfortunately with the disaster the Middle East - SW Asia has become over the past 20 - 30 years or so, so much of the historical record has been lost through intentional destruction or "collateral damage". It is very disheartening to those interested in history. one wonders how future historians will consider it, has it reached the level of the destruction of the great library at Alexandra?
Lesser known than the destruction of the Egyptian library is the destruction of a vast medieval library in Germany during an American bombing raid. It contain thousands of unique, hand-written on parchment volumes.
04-03-2017, 03:39 AM   #33036
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Lesser known than the destruction of the Egyptian library is the destruction of a vast medieval library in Germany during an American bombing raid. It contain thousands of unique, hand-written on parchment volumes.
didn't know about that but not surprised, as has been said - "War is Hell" and as I understand it, much of Germany was rubble by the end - so much of Europe was destroyed

and speaking of Hell, there should be a special place reserved for those who tell us that we can fight a war without "collateral damage" and the deaths of innocents and those politicians who believe such crap.

IMHO, YMMV
04-03-2017, 03:53 AM   #33037
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
didn't know about that but not surprised, as has been said - "War is Hell" and as I understand it, much of Germany was rubble by the end - so much of Europe was destroyed

and speaking of Hell, there should be a special place reserved for those who tell us that we can fight a war without "collateral damage" and the deaths of innocents and those politicians who believe such crap.

IMHO, YMMV
We're drifting pretty far off topic here, but I tried to check on the Medieval library I mentioned, having come across a mention of the incident in a book I read several years ago. But, when I GOOGLED I turned up a a very long list of destroyed libraries. I think, maybe, it was the Hessische Landesbibliothek: 760,000 books destroyed, of which 2,217 were earlier than 1551, and also 4,500 only-copy manuscripts. About one-third of all books in Germany were destroyed. Belarus lost an estimated 80% of all library material, some recovered from Germany, Austria and Poland after the war, but roughly one-million volumes never accounted for. You can easily image what happened to multiple, massive Judaic libraries filled with very old manuscripts. The ghastly list goes on and depressingly on.

04-03-2017, 08:46 AM   #33038
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And of course the presence of querns in a Euphrates village indicates Another cool thing is that they are still used they had been in use for an unknown time still earlier.
Plus they are multi-cultural - Europeans, Mayans, Asians used them as well. Another cool thing is that they are still used today in a few places.

J - Jaguar
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #33039
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arn Quote
Plus they are multi-cultural - Europeans, Mayans, Asians used them as well. Another cool thing is that they are still used today in a few places.\J - Jaguar
Querns were used in Scotland well into the 20th century, but then Scotland only eliminated the last of the thirlage laws, which gave a miller the right to destroy privately owned querns, in 2004. (!)

Kolob Canyon, scan from a chrome.
Attached Images

04-03-2017, 10:38 AM   #33040
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Leaves

04-03-2017, 10:47 AM   #33041
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

MITE (is rite?). This one is in water on a microscope slide. hence all the spots which I was too lazy to clone out.
Attached Images

04-03-2017, 12:43 PM   #33042
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nuts-Walnuts in this case
04-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #33043
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Observant Puppy

Last edited by Wolfeye; 05-22-2017 at 09:34 AM.
04-03-2017, 12:54 PM   #33044
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Q is for Quick

R
is for Rapid

this Canada Goose is making a Quick and Rapid exit stage left just like Snagglepus

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-03-2017 at 01:00 PM.
04-03-2017, 12:59 PM   #33045
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Spring flowers