Show Printable Version 10335 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2018, 11:33 AM   #42526
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Quintet of wings
I guess after such an emotional day your head is still swirling, but I cannot find the fifth wing!

Under the bridge

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-29-2018, 01:17 PM   #42527
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LOL! I am pretty sure I typed Quartet! These fingers of mine are SOOOO rebellious
09-29-2018, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #42528
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
WOW, how nice to see you here! I'll respond with this copy of my post on the Daily in Challenge!
"What a day this has been! A real emotional roller coaster. Starting this morning when I opened the curtains and immediately noticed the cars all going the opposite direction than they normally do, and congestion quite high. I knew something was amiss. Turns out the community had decided they've had enough of the gangsterism and drug shootings that have been happening here- this week 5 people were shot in gang related wars. Yesterday, there was a shootout between gangs, and caught in the crossfire was a woman who had gone with her kid to get the kids school report. Mother fatally shot, and the daughter shot in the leg. Well that triggered the community's anger, and 5;30 this morning they started with what is called "Shut down" where every entrance/exit point to the suburb here was blocked off with burning tyres , rocks, trees or whatever. A march to the local police station too, where the demand was that the station should be closed as it is useless. I had to go on a long detour route for my meeting this morning, the same on my return home (at one stage I thought I might not get to my home) and again this aft. Palpable anger and tension. Caused huge havoc. A huge police and Metro police force deployed for all of this- and some were still around this evening when I got home.
I met with WPRESTO this evening, and what a wonderful meeting that was, with his equally wonderful wife, we had dinner and you'd have sworn we have known each other for years, such was the warmth and fellowship. He is every bit as nice, wonderful and likable in real life as he is on the Forum! And a veritable walking encyclopedia. And then they go and bless me with a Brand spanking new lens and some Maple Syrup. I was and still am quite floored at such generosity, uncalled and undeserved and unexpected. Deeply emotional occasion and I guess I will forever wonder why I am so Blessed!"

And from the Flickr page- OzzRod asked if I had any pics of our meet.
"OzzRod-funny you should ask- we both brought our gear with for our meet, but not a single photo taken, and nowhere a cell to be seen, an indication of how rich and enjoyable our time together was. He has opted to bring his Olympus system, much more compact. I had a peek at it, and wow, it was so much smaller than my K-30. 600mm lens is smaller than my Tammy."

Been thinking about you and M all day today WPRESTO, and hoped you had a splendid time in Soweto, the weather was so good today! Ideal for some tourism and good food.

Oh and I'm still reeling at your generosity!
PLEASURE WAS ALL MINE!!!! M was as delighted with your company as I was. The visit to Soweto was an eye-opener at many levels. We had a first-hand account from Antoinette of that day and the death of her brother, then only 12 years old. Sobering, depressing, horrifying, maddening, but so much has changed so quickly. If only the changes still undone can be accomplished quickly. How deeply I hope for peace and prosperity for all the people of South Africa.
09-29-2018, 01:45 PM   #42529
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quickly before I hit the sack-I am so glad you had an enjoyable time. As you can gather, SA, besides its diversity, also engenders quite a diverse set of emotions at any one time! And you do know that a visit to Soweto, besides being an eye opener, will also leave its indelible imprint on your psyche. Quite something to experience!
Safe travels further! And thank you!

09-29-2018, 03:52 PM - 2 Likes   #42530
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Warbling Vireo
09-29-2018, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #42531
Bud
Veteran Member

Windmill - Norwood, Colorado
09-29-2018, 09:47 PM   #42532
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I got "X" again.This might not be very original, but there sure are a lot of them! From a sculpture in Tallin.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-30-2018, 04:11 AM   #42533
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Young Cricketer
09-30-2018, 07:55 AM   #42534
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter