Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A-African Arts and Sculptures

04-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #7082
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

B - Berries. How amazing that all of these are available in Vancouver in March - some from Mexico, some from Chile. I would guess that the same is true in Europe, with Noel's country providing fruit.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
04-08-2013, 12:01 AM   #7083
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What are the ones in the first row? Looks like olives? All the berries look scrumptious. But not the Olives-I don't do Olives.

C-Calm or catching a wind?
04-08-2013, 12:04 AM   #7084
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Deere

04-08-2013, 03:43 AM   #7085
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
What are the ones in the first row? Looks like olives? All the berries look scrumptious. But not the Olives-I don't do Olives.

C-Calm or catching a wind?
Might be blueberries in foreground. We're always amazed by availability of really good, fresh raspberries, an exceptionally delicate fruit that does not keep fresh and turns mushy if frozen, all winter long here in New England. Suspect that irradiation may be used, as with milk that will keep unopened on a shelf for weeks.
And your posting, noelcmn, I think could also be cormorant.
04-08-2013, 03:48 AM   #7086
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

E is for ECSTASY, which this woman seems to be experiencing. The actual name of the sculpture is "The Vine."

Last edited by WPRESTO; 05-12-2013 at 03:26 PM.
04-08-2013, 03:51 AM   #7087
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
F for ferris wheel

04-08-2013, 04:03 AM   #7088
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

G is for GUN DECK.

04-08-2013, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #7089
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

H-Hidden from view-mostly. A magnificient Elephant that simply chose to hide behind some bushes, as it munched away.
04-08-2013, 05:50 AM   #7090
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a great elephant, noelcomn - he seems to be growing out of the trees.
I is for INCISORS, of which there aren't too many on this particular skull of ........ you guess.

04-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #7091
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What are the ones in the first row?
Blueberries - but not very blue in that shot! I'll have to try again.
04-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #7092
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Might be blueberries in foreground. We're always amazed by availability of really good, fresh raspberries, an exceptionally delicate fruit that does not keep fresh and turns mushy if frozen, all winter long here in New England. Suspect that irradiation may be used, as with milk that will keep unopened on a shelf for weeks.
And your posting, noelcmn, I think could also be cormorant.
I will check again, but you are probably right that is a Comorant though there was also a gull at the same spot. Did try to get everything in focus-one of those failures.
Must say I dont do much by way of berries, eating or photographic- Better get working on that.

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
That's a great elephant, noelcomn - he seems to be growing out of the trees.
I is for INCISORS, of which there aren't too many on this particular skull of ........ you guess.
Thank you for that kind comment WPRESTO-watched that elephant for a long time. This was at a waterhole in the Kruger Park, and at this particular waterhole, a year or two ago I was also just sitting enjoying the quiet, with one or two other cars there as well. One of the occupants in one of the other cars said to me, "look behind you" which I did and nearly died-a large breeding herd of Elephants (can be quite dangerous as they matriarchs are very protective of the young) filled the rear view of my car window, plus more to the left and right. They had come down to the waterhole to drink and play, and we were in their way to the waterhole. Sweated and was pretty much like a cat on a hot tin roof that day. Trunks lifted to get the smell of us too-that did not help. I'm terrified of elephants, mostly, and they are generally docile and peaceable. But you never know and have read of a few incidents-the most recent one being about a month or two ago- huge elephant just flipped a small car off the road, as it considered that car as invading its space. The elderly couple survived btw. Well after that nerve-wracking experience, I am always wary at this particular waterhole, and as I sat there, again enjoying the peace and quiet, this time only me, I had the distinct feeling I was being "watched" and after scanning the area I eventually found this big fellow, about 50 meters away. He had his eye on me, and I returned the favour. He got shot with the Pentax every two minutes or so, just to make sure he was still there and has not crept up on me like that herd.

QuoteOriginally posted by Arn Quote
Blueberries - but not very blue in that shot! I'll have to try again.
Should have known hey! In SA we'd say "Doff" Stoopid me! They're all berries, why should that be olives? Ah these personal prejudices - cloud the judgement. And pretty sure you had to sacrifice that blue to get that red so red.
04-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #7093
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will check again, but you are probably right that is a Comorant though there was also a gull at the same spot. Did try to get everything in focus-one of those failures.
Must say I dont do much by way of berries, eating or photographic- Better get working on that.

Thank you for that kind comment WPRESTO-watched that elephant for a long time. This was at a waterhole in the Kruger Park, and at this particular waterhole, a year or two ago I was also just sitting enjoying the quiet, with one or two other cars there as well. One of the occupants in one of the other cars said to me, "look behind you" which I did and nearly died-a large breeding herd of Elephants (can be quite dangerous as they matriarchs are very protective of the young) filled the rear view of my car window, plus more to the left and right. They had come down to the waterhole to drink and play, and we were in their way to the waterhole. Sweated and was pretty much like a cat on a hot tin roof that day. Trunks lifted to get the smell of us too-that did not help. I'm terrified of elephants, mostly, and they are generally docile and peaceable. But you never know and have read of a few incidents-the most recent one being about a month or two ago- huge elephant just flipped a small car off the road, as it considered that car as invading its space. The elderly couple survived btw. Well after that nerve-wracking experience, I am always wary at this particular waterhole, and as I sat there, again enjoying the peace and quiet, this time only me, I had the distinct feeling I was being "watched" and after scanning the area I eventually found this big fellow, about 50 meters away. He had his eye on me, and I returned the favour. He got shot with the Pentax every two minutes or so, just to make sure he was still there and has not crept up on me like that herd.

Should have known hey! In SA we'd say "Doff" Stoopid me! They're all berries, why should that be olives? Ah these personal prejudices - cloud the judgement. And pretty sure you had to sacrifice that blue to get that red so red.
BTW noelcmn, I did a little on line about berries. Seems that blueberries and raspberries are not grown anywhere in Africa in significant quantity. Probably the nearest commercial/agricultural source to you is eastern Europe, especially Poland. Some decades back there was a graduate student visiting from England (working with M) who, incomprehensibly to me, had never even heard of blueberries. Turns out, despite the fact they are Ericaciae (heath/heather) and should grow well in Scotland especially, there is essentially no commercial agricultural cultivation of blueberries in the British Isles. The majority of cultivated blueberry species originated in NA, but closely related berry species occur elsewhere usually under the name "bilberry" (many other common names) although apparently not anywhere on your continent.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 04-08-2013 at 01:00 PM.
04-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #7094
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

J - grandson Jacob in a jacket.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
04-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #7095
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K is for KONGO POWER FIGURE. "Kongo" here is the name of the people. This 19th century carving, with a chief's hat and in a traditional aggressive pose (hands near hips and leaning forward as if "in your face") was used to secure pledges and contracts, fulfullment of vows, agreements, etc. A nail or other metal piece was driven into the wood as a token or recognition equivalent to a handshake, swearing an oath, or signing your name. The opening in the abdomen originally contained food which attracted the spirits which gave the figure its power to enforce.