Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 467 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2019, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #406
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
That's a perfect example of the old dual-well wooden corn crib buildings. No need for a powered corn drier fan with all of that ventilation.

I recognize the power line as just part of the rural landscape now, but many people don't realize how much of rural America didn't get electrified until AFTER WWII. The war interrupted the rural electrification program started in the 1930s.
I remember when it used to have corn in it! Probably 40-45 years ago when metal grain bins took over. It's served as old tractor and scrap wood storage ever since.

Not sure when they got power; now you have me curious. I'll have to ask some questions after Christmas dinner now that you've piqued my curiosity.

12-25-2019, 08:17 PM   #407
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ashurbanipal Quote
Should probably crop this to get rid of the power line, but I like the vertical orientation.
The power line is part of the scene, keep it

That's a perfect example of the old dual-well wooden corn crib buildings. No need for a powered corn drier fan with all of that ventilation.

I recognize the power line as just part of the rural landscape now, but many people don't realize how much of rural America didn't get electrified until AFTER WWII. The war interrupted the rural electrification program started in the 1930s.
Growing up in a rural area, I've been around corn cribs forever, but I've never heard the "dual well' name for a corn crib. It's amazing the things you can learn on a photography forum about non-photography stuff!

QuoteOriginally posted by Driftwood Quote
Here's one you can drive through! Schoharie County, NY.
I've never saw anything like that, how unique.
12-26-2019, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #408
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote

Growing up in a rural area, I've been around corn cribs forever, but I've never heard the "dual well' name for a corn crib. It's amazing the things you can learn on a photography forum about non-photography stuff!
I don't know if there is a particular farmer-name for them, besides "the corn crib." It was just the adjective I could think of to describe it. After all, there are single corn cribs with that spaced board design, too, like the one on the end of the lean-to part of my barn. I borrowed "dual-well" from a term some audio people apply to audiocassette decks with two tape drives, but they don't look like they have any sort of well in them nearly as much those old corn crib buildings.

Farmer names can be funny, and vary a lot by region. One time a teacher was commenting on something I'd written on a rural subject, and he said, "This is wrong. You write 'disk" here, when you mean a 'disk harrow.' " I knew that technically it was called a "disk harrow," but I also knew that if you wanted to buy a used one, as I had done twice, you'd never find one in the newspaper want ads around where I lived by looking for a "disk harrow." You'd find listings for a "6-foot disk" or maybe an 8-ft, 10-ft, 12ft. or even a "16-foot disk," but not a single "disk harrow." If you ever found any listing for a harrow, it would be an old spike harrow, but it might be listed as a "field drag" or something like that, too. Now that fellow grew up in farm country, maybe he even told me he grew up on a farm, but that was in a different part of the country. Maybe he thought all farmers called disk harrows "disk harrows," but that would be schoolbook lingo where I come from.
12-26-2019, 08:03 AM - 2 Likes   #409
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know if there is a particular farmer-name for them, besides "the corn crib." It was just the adjective I could think of to describe it. After all, there are single corn cribs with that spaced board design, too, like the one on the end of the lean-to part of my barn. I borrowed "dual-well" from a term some audio people apply to audiocassette decks with two tape drives, but they don't look like they have any sort of well in them nearly as much those old corn crib buildings.

Farmer names can be funny, and vary a lot by region. One time a teacher was commenting on something I'd written on a rural subject, and he said, "This is wrong. You write 'disk" here, when you mean a 'disk harrow.' " I knew that technically it was called a "disk harrow," but I also knew that if you wanted to buy a used one, as I had done twice, you'd never find one in the newspaper want ads around where I lived by looking for a "disk harrow." You'd find listings for a "6-foot disk" or maybe an 8-ft, 10-ft, 12ft. or even a "16-foot disk," but not a single "disk harrow." If you ever found any listing for a harrow, it would be an old spike harrow, but it might be listed as a "field drag" or something like that, too. Now that fellow grew up in farm country, maybe he even told me he grew up on a farm, but that was in a different part of the country. Maybe he thought all farmers called disk harrows "disk harrows," but that would be schoolbook lingo where I come from.
LOL, I've head a lot of farmers talk about disking their fields, and I've heard harrowing a few times. There is definitely differences in regions. We are not far from Amish, I cn't imagine what they may call different farming terms since they switch between different dialects of German and English.

12-26-2019, 08:25 PM - 2 Likes   #410
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ashurbanipal Quote
I remember when it used to have corn in it! Probably 40-45 years ago when metal grain bins took over. It's served as old tractor and scrap wood storage ever since.

Not sure when they got power; now you have me curious. I'll have to ask some questions after Christmas dinner now that you've piqued my curiosity.
Quoting myself, but I did get a chance to talk to my uncle about it over dinner; he barely remembers them not having power, so that places it to the early forties. This would be southeastern Nebraska, one of the earlier parts of the state to see rural electrification.

And, pertinent to the terminology discussion, we call 'em disks here.
03-21-2020, 11:55 PM - 4 Likes   #411
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-7 built in faux infrared

View Picture EXIF
Name:  IMGP9660 g 10.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  289.7 KB
03-23-2020, 02:22 PM - 5 Likes   #412
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benton County, Oregon

View Picture EXIF
Name:  IMGP8607 rj11.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  365.1 KB

03-31-2020, 06:01 AM - 3 Likes   #413
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old barn standing up to some fishy landscape torture.

Bower/Samyang f/3.5 8mm + Pentax K110D dslr

(cross-posted in self-portrait thread)
04-09-2020, 12:14 PM - 2 Likes   #414
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lot of farmers around here are bigger has-bins than has-barns. Their new barn doesn't have to be bigger than an equipment shed.

Super-Takumar f1.8 55mm + Sony NEX-5
04-09-2020, 06:59 PM - 3 Likes   #415
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

04-10-2020, 04:43 PM - 6 Likes   #416
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sunrises and Moonrise with barns

07-05-2020, 06:48 AM - 4 Likes   #417
Veteran Member

Corn Field

Last edited by jquill; 07-05-2020 at 08:32 AM.
08-11-2020, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #418
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking across the very weedy pasture at my barn.

Rokinon/Samyang f/2 16mm at f/2 +K10D

(cross-posted)
09-02-2020, 05:14 PM - 2 Likes   #419
Veteran Member

Smith Barn and outbuildings

Smith Barn - Side

Last edited by jquill; 09-02-2020 at 08:27 PM.
09-09-2020, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #420
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This one was taken with my new to me antique MX