Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5999 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2021, 07:36 PM   #2671
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Four image stitch. Neither as wide nor as colorful as the pano posted by rgknief60 just above, but in the same spirit.
Looks like there might still be color to come!

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Beautiful colors. I love to take my panos with longer lenses also. They give super detail.

Thanks! I put my K3III with a DA 55-300 on the tripod for more detail. Liveview showed so much PF that I didi not even try it out, much to the relief of my long suffering companions!

11-16-2021, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #2672
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pano by cropping. Something.less than a grand panoramic.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
11-16-2021, 10:32 PM - 5 Likes   #2673
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wide angle pano/HDR processed in Lightroom Classic.

Last edited by mattb123; 11-17-2021 at 11:52 AM.
11-16-2021, 11:33 PM - 12 Likes   #2674
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've been playing with panoramas a bit this past year, so figured I may as well post a few here. This is one of my favourite mountain getaway spots near where I live. It's a bit of a 4x4 trip to get there, so not usually anyone else up there on a week day. There's an old forest fire lookout at the top, and I've spent three nights up there this year.
This first shot was taken at the end of May, and I rode my snowmobile up. I think it was a single row of about 10 vertical shots taken with my SMC A50 f1.7 and K3. I printed it 72" wide for my mother-in-law's birthday gift, and really like the way it turned out.

This one was taken from pretty close to the same spot, but at sunrise instead of mid afternoon. There were a lot of forest fires around here this summer, and the smoke in the air made for some fairly spectacular sunrises and sunsets. I think I used my 16-85 for this one, and it's a two row.

This one is another sunrise panorama from a different trip. I think for this one I did a single row with a M 28mm f2.8 on my K3. The silver shack is the outhouse, and the view from it is spectacular.

This one is looking south from the top of the mountain. The red glowing spots on the horizon are forest fires, while the big orange glow in the middle is the city (population around 95,000) I live near, about 1.5 hours drive away. Both of these were taken with my Rokinon 14mm.

And a vertical panorama to capture the milky way.

This one was at sunset looking west, 2 shots with my Sigma 105 f2.8. Taken the same evening as the night shots above.

These last couple were from my most recent trip up there at the end of Oct. The first one was taken about noon when we got up there, 4 shots I think with my K1 and F35-105 @35mm.

And this one was taken facing west again, late afternoon though. Same lens and camera, this time at 53mm. It was also windy enough and light changing fast enough that I didn't bother with a tripod or anything.

Kristian

11-17-2021, 07:59 PM   #2675
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by turbo_bird Quote
The silver shack is the outhouse, and the view from it is spectacular.

A picturesque privy perfectly positioned for perusing impressive panoramas
Seriously, that is an impressive set of panos. Be sure to take and post more.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 11-17-2021 at 08:04 PM.
11-17-2021, 11:52 PM - 6 Likes   #2676
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Seriously, that is an impressive set of panos. Be sure to take and post more.
Thanks, I appreciate that. I won't be back to that spot again until next year, but I've got a couple more I can post from other spots. It's pretty easy to take good photos up in the mountains though. Last fall I actually fulfilled a longtime dream and climbed the tallest one in the shots I posted. It's the tallest mountain near here, and not many people get to the top. I can say with a fairly high degree of confidence that I'm the least fit person that's ever climbed it.
Kristian

---------- Post added 11-18-21 at 12:19 AM ----------

This one is a handheld panorama of Fish Lake, near Whitehorse. Something like 12 or 14 shots. It's a bit wide and skinny to be able to see much detail in a web size version though.

Same lake, different angle.

This one was taken just south of Jade City, where the tv show Jade Fever is filmed.

This one was near the old Cassiar asbestos mine. You can see the cat trails all over the mountain from when they were exploring for asbestos.

These ones were all taken on a family trip this summer while exploring on dirtbikes with my 9 year old son.
Kristian
11-22-2021, 06:39 PM - 2 Likes   #2677
Pentaxian

11-24-2021, 02:01 AM - 3 Likes   #2678
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by turbo_bird Quote
Thanks, I appreciate that. I won't be back to that spot again until next year, but I've got a couple more I can post from other spots. It's pretty easy to take good photos up in the mountains though. Last fall I actually fulfilled a longtime dream and climbed the tallest one in the shots I posted. It's the tallest mountain near here, and not many people get to the top. I can say with a fairly high degree of confidence that I'm the least fit person that's ever climbed it.
Kristian

---------- Post added 11-18-21 at 12:19 AM ----------

This one is a handheld panorama of Fish Lake, near Whitehorse. Something like 12 or 14 shots. It's a bit wide and skinny to be able to see much detail in a web size version though.

Same lake, different angle.

This one was taken just south of Jade City, where the tv show Jade Fever is filmed.

This one was near the old Cassiar asbestos mine. You can see the cat trails all over the mountain from when they were exploring for asbestos.

These ones were all taken on a family trip this summer while exploring on dirtbikes with my 9 year old son.
Kristian
Wow, these are some nice panorama's indeed. This is what a pano would look like in the Netherlands, flattest place on earth...

[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2mLDZYy]Sunset over the Eemskanaal[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/155361133@N02/]Hans Vedder[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank">

[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2mLvnPC]Sunrise over Roegwold[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/155361133@N02/]Hans Vedder[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank">

The second panorama has something of a wavy horizon, does anyone know how to deal with that? In general, is it best to apply lens corrections before merging the photo's and would that deal with the wavy horizon?
11-26-2021, 02:47 PM   #2679
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
Wow, these are some nice panorama's indeed. This is what a pano would look like in the Netherlands, flattest place on earth...

The second panorama has something of a wavy horizon, does anyone know how to deal with that? In general, is it best to apply lens corrections before merging the photo's and would that deal with the wavy horizon?
I don’t think so. I never tried LR stitching but I assume it does not give you a lot of control. A dedicated stitching software such as Hugin would handle things better I suppose.
11-26-2021, 04:42 PM - 3 Likes   #2680
Inactive Account

2 Panorama from the same bridge above lower part of Sumida river in Tokyo
First one point north with FA50 f2.8. Second one point south with DA21. Both are with K3

---------- Post added 11-26-21 at 04:46 PM ----------

...does anyone know how to deal with that? In general, is it best to apply lens corrections before merging the photo's and would that deal with the wavy horizon?

I apply lens correction before merging images. I use CameraRaw.
Not sure if it is the best way but it make more sense to me that way.
11-26-2021, 06:32 PM   #2681
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use ON1, so maybe a different process than what you're using, but I normally try to see how it goes without any adjustments to the input files, and if I don't like what I see, I'll try some lens corrections and redo the merge. I mostly use older lenses, so I don't really get automatic lens corrections in the software. It's a bit of a trial and error process.
Kristian
11-27-2021, 01:13 AM - 1 Like   #2682
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
2 Panorama from the same bridge above lower part of Sumida river in Tokyo
First one point north with FA50 f2.8. Second one point south with DA21. Both are with K3

---------- Post added 11-26-21 at 04:46 PM ----------

I apply lens correction before merging images. I use CameraRaw.
Not sure if it is the best way but it make more sense to me that way.
I'll try that, and using Hugin. Or perhaps Photoshop for stitching. Great photos, by the way!

Many thanks
11-27-2021, 04:05 PM   #2683
Pentaxian

I'll try that, and using Hugin. Or perhaps Photoshop for stitching. Great photos, by the way!

Many thanks
Photoshop doesn’t offer any sophisticated stitching controls, as much as I like it otherwise.
11-27-2021, 04:36 PM   #2684
Inactive Account

Many thanks
I am assuming you are not using CS6 or older. If you already pay for Creative Cloud subscription, And you install Photoshop, you will already have Bridge, and CameraRaw plugin installed. I highly recommend to use a combination of Bridge and CameraRaw to merger files rather than use Photoshop.

you can simply do:
  1. open them in Bridge first > select the photos you want to merge > right click and select Open in Cameraraw
  2. In the CamraRaw, you will see the thumbnails of images you just open from the last step, just make sure both are selected and go to "Optics" (on the right hand panel) > Profile > apply lens profile. It will apply the same setting to all selected thumbnail at one.
  3. With all the thumbnails still selected, Right click on any one of them > Merger to Panorama > select what option suite to your image, it will generate live preview so you know what option best for your photos > click Merge... on the bottom right and that should be it.

CameraRaw will ask you to save, and it will save it as a new copy of DNG file which retain all the shooting details in it just like a DNG out of the camera.

On the older version of Photoshop like CS6, yes, I use Photoshop to merge the files, and it takes time + very limited option to merge. Then I will get a file with mask layers in photoshop which can have very difference lighting in each of them, making post-processing even harder. By using Bridge and CameraRaw (with CC) as steps above, it will auto level the lighting in the merged image for you. You will see once you do it. It makes life a lot easier for me.

I am not sure if the old CS6 can do the same as step above. CS6 has Bridge and Photoshop CS6 also has CameraRaw plugin, I just never tried it.
The same option are also in LightRoom b/c LightRoom is using CameraRaw engine too. But I prefer to manage my files using Bridge over LightRoom. Both use CamerRaw engine, so I think it doesn't really matter.
I used to make a tutorial on my Instagram page, maybe I should do it again.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 11-27-2021 at 05:09 PM.
11-28-2021, 04:28 AM - 1 Like   #2685
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
I am assuming you are not using CS6 or older. If you already pay for Creative Cloud subscription, And you install Photoshop, you will already have Bridge, and CameraRaw plugin installed. I highly recommend to use a combination of Bridge and CameraRaw to merger files rather than use Photoshop.

you can simply do:
  1. open them in Bridge first > select the photos you want to merge > right click and select Open in Cameraraw
  2. In the CamraRaw, you will see the thumbnails of images you just open from the last step, just make sure both are selected and go to "Optics" (on the right hand panel) > Profile > apply lens profile. It will apply the same setting to all selected thumbnail at one.
  3. With all the thumbnails still selected, Right click on any one of them > Merger to Panorama > select what option suite to your image, it will generate live preview so you know what option best for your photos > click Merge... on the bottom right and that should be it.

CameraRaw will ask you to save, and it will save it as a new copy of DNG file which retain all the shooting details in it just like a DNG out of the camera.

On the older version of Photoshop like CS6, yes, I use Photoshop to merge the files, and it takes time + very limited option to merge. Then I will get a file with mask layers in photoshop which can have very difference lighting in each of them, making post-processing even harder. By using Bridge and CameraRaw (with CC) as steps above, it will auto level the lighting in the merged image for you. You will see once you do it. It makes life a lot easier for me.

I am not sure if the old CS6 can do the same as step above. CS6 has Bridge and Photoshop CS6 also has CameraRaw plugin, I just never tried it.
The same option are also in LightRoom b/c LightRoom is using CameraRaw engine too. But I prefer to manage my files using Bridge over LightRoom. Both use CamerRaw engine, so I think it doesn't really matter.
I used to make a tutorial on my Instagram page, maybe I should do it again.
Thanks, I'll try the bridge-CR route as well. I'm experimenting with Hugin, but that's proving to be a steep learning curve. In general: I love the helpfulness on this forum.