Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2018, 09:49 PM - 2 Likes   #1486
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
I must be stuck in a gigapano rut.

This is s retry of one I made last June. K5IIs, Sigma 16mm f2.8 Rectilinear Fisheye, 62 images, stitched and processed with Photoshop.

The scene was supposed to be a 360 spherical panorama, but there doesn't seem to be enough overlap. The trail goes from the top of the bank where my house is, down the the riverbank below, a vertical distance of about 21 meters or 70 feet. The (almost) top is on the left side, I set up my tripod at a landing about 1/3 of the way down (one tripod leg is visible in the lower right), and the trail continuing to the bottom can be seen on the right. The river is also visible throught the trees to the right.

As always, click through for full resolution.

02-20-2018, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #1487
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That's crazy Racer! I like it, and I like the way you are thinking outside the square (rectangle?) Reminds me a bit of those M C Escher images.
02-20-2018, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #1488
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree with Des. Time to move beyond the rectangle!
02-20-2018, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #1489
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
That's crazy Racer! I like it, and I like the way you are thinking outside the square (rectangle?) Reminds me a bit of those M C Escher images.

Thanks Des.

I think the image was distorted because if the ectra wide angle of the lens. I've tried using ordinary fisheye lenses but the geometric distortion was too much for the stitching software to overcome. Even here, Photoshop struggled with all the converging and diverging lines and angles.

Still, I like the result, even if it didn't come out with that box we like to package photographs in.

02-20-2018, 07:39 AM - 2 Likes   #1490
Pentaxian

Twin Falls, Idaho
April 2017
K-1 & M*300/4, 25 exposures stitched and manually color balanced
Attached Images

02-23-2018, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #1491
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I must be stuck in a gigapano rut.

This is s retry of one I made last June. K5IIs, Sigma 16mm f2.8 Rectilinear Fisheye, 62 images, stitched and processed with Photoshop.
[snip...]
This is a funny result but it might not be exactly what you were looking for. I think in this case Photoshop is not quite up to the job. Dedicated pano software (such as the free Hugin) gives you a lot more control of just about any aspect of the stitching process. Did you try it? It has a bit of a learning curve but IMO it's absolutely worth the extra effort.
02-23-2018, 08:47 AM - 4 Likes   #1492
Pentaxian

4 shots with M 28 3.5 and K10D @ f/5.6, stitched in ICE and some quick basic processing (before and after ICE) in RawTherapee.

02-23-2018, 07:19 PM   #1493
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
This is a funny result but it might not be exactly what you were looking for. I think in this case Photoshop is not quite up to the job. Dedicated pano software (such as the free Hugin) gives you a lot more control of just about any aspect of the stitching process. Did you try it? It has a bit of a learning curve but IMO it's absolutely worth the extra effort.

When I processed it last June I used Hugin, Microsoft ICE, and Autostitch. The results were less than adequate. I think part of the problem was my computer had developed an issue, something related to a WinBlows update to the graphics card. I reinstalled the OS a few weeks back, and started fresh. I've turned off the WinBlows Update nag, and selectively updated some stuff, but basically kept the machine as installed new. it is running great, and as long as it does, I will not bother with any updates.

And since it is running well, I'm going back and revisiting some of the projects I had trouble with to see if they will work better. As I mentioned, this version of that pano actually came out great, most of the trees all join well from frame to frame, the only thing is the 360° scene didn't quite work out (but I may have missed some shots too).
02-24-2018, 02:08 AM   #1494
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
When I processed it last June I used Hugin, Microsoft ICE, and Autostitch. The results were less than adequate. I think part of the problem was my computer had developed an issue, something related to a WinBlows update to the graphics card. I reinstalled the OS a few weeks back, and started fresh. I've turned off the WinBlows Update nag, and selectively updated some stuff, but basically kept the machine as installed new. it is running great, and as long as it does, I will not bother with any updates.

And since it is running well, I'm going back and revisiting some of the projects I had trouble with to see if they will work better. As I mentioned, this version of that pano actually came out great, most of the trees all join well from frame to frame, the only thing is the 360° scene didn't quite work out (but I may have missed some shots too).
Thanks for the explanation!
02-24-2018, 08:19 AM   #1495
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Thanks for the explanation!

You're very welcome.
02-25-2018, 01:29 AM - 5 Likes   #1496

Today's excursion, Nimmons Bridge just outside Ballarat Victoria. 10 raw images processed in Photomatix then stitched with Panorama Pro
Attached Images

02-25-2018, 01:34 AM - 1 Like   #1497
Pentaxian

A panorama of Tuscany taken with the K3 and Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8, stitched in ICE and then PPed in Paintshop pro. I may have gone a bit overboard with the sky...

Tuscany panorama 1a
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
03-04-2018, 07:35 PM - 2 Likes   #1498
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is close to a full 180-degree panoramic, looking upstream to the left, and down to the right.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
03-10-2018, 09:57 PM - 6 Likes   #1499
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Five vertical frames from the 18-135 at 18. Great clouds today but windy!
03-11-2018, 01:20 AM   #1500
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Five vertical frames from the 18-135 at 18. Great clouds today but windy!
Very nice!