Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3129 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #1486
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great job Loco. Love the conversion you did on the Mill shot!

Last edited by ganb; 06-06-2012 at 06:26 PM.
06-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #1487
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Here's a conversion I did of a photo of Mabry Mill, a restored grist mill located on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia. This is supposedly the most photographed spot along the parkway, so apologies in advance to those who have seen 100s of pictures of it!
I've seen hundreds of shots of it, and I've stood on that spot many times -- maybe not hundreds, but certainly dozens over the past 30 years. And I love your shot!
06-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #1488
Veteran Member

Thanks folks!
baro-nite, that's great to hear! Thank you! It's not easy to get an "original" shot of the place. Maybe impossible. But it's also pretty hard to take a bad shot of it! I really want to go back in the fall, but I doubt that will be a monochrome shot!
06-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #1489
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Urban landscape

DA 35 Ltd

Last edited by jmschrei; 09-08-2012 at 09:34 PM.
06-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #1490
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some HDR conversions

Experimenting with converting some HDR attempts into B&W with SilverEfex 2.0
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
06-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #1491
Veteran Member

Well done, ganb!! Great contrasts!
06-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #1492
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ganb Quote
Back in my film days, I shot Black and White exclusively. I loved working in the darkroom. Controlling the image brought closure to the creative process. I strayed away from photography for a long time, mistakenly believing that digital images were made for color, that the days of quality Black and White were dwindling with the evaporation of film and toxic chemicals. Thank goodness my curiousity finally prevailed, and a new journey has begun. Some of these were taken with a Canon or Nikon P&S. It wasn't until January 2012 that I purchased a used K20D, which brought me to this forum, and opened yet another door of discovery.
Awesome tone in the 1st three but the rest are too stark and brittle tonally for me.

06-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #1493
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jmschrei Quote
DA 35 Ltd

Joe, how did you do the B&W conversion of this shot?

Gan
06-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #1494
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Joe, how did you do the B&W conversion of this shot?

Gan
Silver Efex Pro 2, starting with the harsh high structure preset. I don't think I did too much beyond that, maybe selenium toning. This is awesome software for B&W conversions, very intuitive to use. It is not cheap but I could not live without it. You can download a trial from Nik software.
06-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #1495
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jmschrei Quote
Silver Efex Pro 2, starting with the harsh high structure preset. I don't think I did too much beyond that, maybe selenium toning. This is awesome software for B&W conversions, very intuitive to use. It is not cheap but I could not live without it. You can download a trial from Nik software.
I use all of the Nik Software Suite. Great tools. Silver Efex pulled me back into B&W. Now, if I can just get a good handle on Carbon Ink printing.....

Do you use Control Points? I was thinking, you may be able to brighten up the white buildings in the lower left and center, to extend the tonal range some. The upper left where the sun is strongest is another challenging area that a control point might help with. I really like the shot. Hope you don't mind my meddling.....
06-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #1496
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use all of the Nik Software Suite. Great tools. Silver Efex pulled me back into B&W. Now, if I can just get a good handle on Carbon Ink printing.....

Do you use Control Points? I was thinking, you may be able to brighten up the white buildings in the lower left and center, to extend the tonal range some. The upper left where the sun is strongest is another challenging area that a control point might help with. I really like the shot. Hope you don't mind my meddling.....
Thanks for the comments. I did notice the bright corner after the fact but quite honestly due to a crazy week at work this is the only shot I took last week worth processing and it was a quick job. You have some good observations, I may have to give it another go.
06-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #1497
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Time - never enough of it, especially for the things we really want to do........
06-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #1498
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bridge.

06-17-2012, 06:17 AM   #1499
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
06-17-2012, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #1500
Site Supporter

K20d & DA 35mm LTD