06-24-2015, 11:34 AM - 3 Likes   #1218
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

06-24-2015, 10:30 PM   #1219
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote

Now those are olde, maybe from the late 40's or early 50's from Japan I think, the tin toys, that is.
correct me if I am wrong............ TFS Cliff

06-25-2015, 07:17 AM   #1220
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Cliff, afraid to say, you are wrong . These are locally made stuff by a "foreigner' usually from Zimbabwe, and being sold on the streets at many places throughout Johannesburg. Made entirely from used cans-aerosol, coffee, food etc. That accounts for the colors as well as the writing on some parts. They're most likely just a couple of weeks old, and rusted because they have not been sold, and exposed to the overnight frost. These guys usually do not have a decent place to store their creations.
06-25-2015, 01:18 PM   #1221
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bluescale Quote
A rusty moon wind chime:
I have one of those...

06-27-2015, 06:00 PM   #1222
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Cliff, afraid to say, you are wrong . These are locally made stuff by a "foreigner' usually from Zimbabwe, and being sold on the streets at many places throughout Johannesburg. Made entirely from used cans-aerosol, coffee, food etc. That accounts for the colors as well as the writing on some parts. They're most likely just a couple of weeks old, and rusted because they have not been sold, and exposed to the overnight frost. These guys usually do not have a decent place to store their creations.
I was always impressed with the ingenuity of the natives in creating their own toys because they had so little. Many were made from wire. Do you have a picture of a wire car with the steering wheel extended in order to be held by the person running behind?

06-27-2015, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #1223
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Do you have a picture of a wire car with the steering wheel extended in order to be held by the person running behind?
Hi Arnold, I am pretty sure it was Noel who posted one in the diagonal thread recently Post #768 - They are very intriguing creations.

---------- Post added 06-28-15 at 02:13 PM ----------

A pile of rusting truck from my walk this morning:

K3 & Sigma 8-16
07-05-2015, 06:44 AM   #1224
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
07-05-2015, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #1225
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That reminds me of the malimba I bought back with me from Malawi many years ago. The resonator is made from a piece of a nestle milk can.

07-25-2015, 05:19 AM   #1226
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some kind of foot;ocker or tool chest abandoned on the road side. K30 Sigma 8-16 1/640sec, F9.0 ISO 200

08-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #1227
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
I was always impressed with the ingenuity of the natives in creating their own toys because they had so little. Many were made from wire. Do you have a picture of a wire car with the steering wheel extended in order to be held by the person running behind?
QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
That reminds me of the malimba I bought back with me from Malawi many years ago. The resonator is made from a piece of a nestle milk can.
Arnold, thank you, You are right, poor people make a plan, and I include myself in that bunch. The best home made toy I ever played with was an old tyre, laced with a bit of car oil on the inside, two broom sticks in there, and you could run around for hours with thattyre, a stick in each hand, and a simple squeeze of them worked wonderfully as brakes. I still se a lot of that aroudn parts of Johannesburg.
Jacamar, as a matter of interest, Jonathan Butler, the Jazz musician, started out playing a hand made guitar in Cape Town, made from an old gallon oil tin, a plank, and fishing gut for strings. Someone heard him sing and play, and next thing you know he's an international artist. I have met him a few times (way back in the 80's) and know his story well.

Here's another sample (also made from cans and wire), besides the one ArjayB mentioned- the latter being on display in the James Hall Museum of transport- fancy that!

And onto some rust.

Last edited by noelcmn; 08-03-2015 at 12:16 PM.
08-11-2015, 02:14 PM   #1228
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I posted a wider shot of this structure last year - here's a telephoto I took the other day. An incinerator at an abandoned lumber mill.

08-11-2015, 06:36 PM   #1229
Veteran Member

Neat. Thanks for sharing, and knowing where they came from had to look a second time.
08-31-2015, 11:04 AM   #1230
Pentaxian

Port-en-Bessin, France ... xpost