Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 8422 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2017, 07:39 PM   #1486
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by YeOldePentaxian Quote
Scans of Kodachrome slides stamped 1967 taken by my grandfather of his very new Cadillac .
I want those licence plates.

03-19-2017, 07:41 PM - 2 Likes   #1487
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

VC-137 number 86970, former Air Force One 707 jet airliner at Boeing Founder's Day celebration held at the Museum of Flight, Boeing Field, Seattle, Washington, July 16, 2016.

03-20-2017, 04:49 PM - 3 Likes   #1488
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
2017 Nissan GT-R with 565 horsepoewer and a $111,000 price tag
03-20-2017, 04:54 PM   #1489
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I have wanted a Skyline ever since I saw one of the Eighties models. Inline twincam six, injected and turbocharged (twin turbos!), all wheel drive and 4 wheel independent suspension.

Back then they weren't imported to the US. Now we get the descendant of that car and I still can't have one.

Unless I win the lottery or get a huge inheritance.

03-20-2017, 05:29 PM - 2 Likes   #1490
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I want those licence plates.
I'd like this one, but I expect they are all in a landfill or recycled by now.

Another car photo from my grandfather's archives.

03-20-2017, 05:42 PM   #1491
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd like this one, but I expect they are all in a landfill or recycled by now.

Another car photo from my grandfather's archives.
I collect plates. I noticed the ones on the Caddy were a bit unusual. Didn't the numbering sequence have numbers and letters back then? Even if they are regular passenger car issue, the number is low, and the combination is desirable.

Of course the tags on the Model T would be even more sought after. What province is that in, do you know?
03-20-2017, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #1492
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are from Saskatchewan. Not sure how my grandfather got that plate, but he was the Western Regional manager for Goodyear Canada for many years, I expect he knew a lot of folks involved in all areas of the auto business.

It is my understanding that "Memory Lane, 85 years of Saskatchewan license plates" is the definitive guide. Keeping my eyes open for a copy but they don't seem to come up for sale very often.

I have a fair number of prints and negatives from my grandfather from the early 1900's through to the late 1960's. I find various interesting car photos like this one amongst the negatives. (Just a quick scan, not cleaned up.)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Perfection4870  Photo 
03-20-2017, 07:13 PM - 2 Likes   #1493
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
That is one powerful and expensive Nissan! We had a little Datsun 1200 coupe in the early 70's, and I think it had 70 HP. You could also move the comma two places to the left to get what it cost.
Here's a pic of our shadow, and a slightly larger boat.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-20-2017, 08:02 PM   #1494
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

These are from Saskatchewan. Not sure how my grandfather got that plate, but he was the Western Regional manager for Goodyear Canada for many years, I expect he knew a lot of folks involved in all areas of the auto business.
Here is what a regular 1966 Saskatchewan passenger car issue looked like:

The only other types available then were government and municipal, commercial vehicles, motorcycle and farm plates. There was a livery plate, used on0 vehicles for hire such as a limousine, they are described as the same as the passenger issue, with a small L and 3 digits, and GOLDEN JUBILEE across the top. But I don't see an L on these plates.

Here is a 1919 Saskatchewan. It looks similar to the one on the Model A.

03-21-2017, 06:34 AM   #1495
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the info. The picture links aren't visible - they generate a request for a logon to alpca.org.

Not sure of the significance of the lower digit numbers but I know there is a fellow in Saskatchewan who has a series of the number 58 from 1933 through to 1976 missing some years.
03-21-2017, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #1496
Veteran Member

A "Thud" called Kay's Baby.

Pentax 645NII, Arista EDU Ultra film ASA 100

Last edited by Wolfeye; 05-22-2017 at 09:34 AM.
03-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #1497
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

here are some photos of a McDonnell F4 D - McDonnell F-4D-29-MC Phantom II - of the Viet Nam war era:

it has been restored with AF markings but has a carrier tail hook. It is made out to be carrying external fuel tanks, 6 gravity bombs, 4 air to air missiles under the wings and 4 longer air to air missiles under the fuselage. of course, it has no internal gun. I do not know exactly what the air to air missiles are represented by the displayed models - which ones are the Sidewinder AIM-9 missiles and which are the Sparrow AIM-7 missiles. I think the Sparrows are under the wings.

it has an interesting nickname - the "Wichita Linesman" earned from its post war career in the Kansas Air Guard which can be found, along with its history at this link.

McDonnell Douglas F-4D Phantom II

Some of the "badges" earned in that incident can be seen on the leading edge of the wings.

images are x posted
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-21-2017 at 07:43 AM.
03-21-2017, 10:35 AM   #1498
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
here are some photos of a McDonnell F4 D - McDonnell F-4D-29-MC Phantom II - of the Viet Nam war era:

it has been restored with AF markings but has a carrier tail hook. It is made out to be carrying external fuel tanks, 6 gravity bombs, 4 air to air missiles under the wings and 4 longer air to air missiles under the fuselage. of course, it has no internal gun. I do not know exactly what the air to air missiles are represented by the displayed models - which ones are the Sidewinder AIM-9 missiles and which are the Sparrow AIM-7 missiles. I think the Sparrows are under the wings.

it has an interesting nickname - the "Wichita Linesman" earned from its post war career in the Kansas Air Guard which can be found, along with its history at this link.

McDonnell Douglas F-4D Phantom II

Some of the "badges" earned in that incident can be seen on the leading edge of the wings.

images are x posted
That brings back childhood memories for me Allen.USAF had bases near my home in the early '70s and regularly carried out exercises,they always seemed very noisy aircraft.I believe they were used extensively in SE Asia at the time and must have been a terrifying sight and sound for those on the receiving end.
03-21-2017, 10:37 AM   #1499
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
That brings back childhood memories for me Allen.USAF had bases near my home in the early '70s and regularly carried out exercises,they always seemed very noisy aircraft.I believe they were used extensively in SE Asia at the time and must have been a terrifying sight and sound for those on the receiving end.
no real reason but I have always had a "soft spot" for the F 4

of course, it had a big built in flaw, they thought there was no longer a need for an internal gun on it but they quickly learned that no gun was a big disadvantage and developed some type of gun they could attach externally to the plane

http://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/what-couldnt-f-4-phantom-do-180953944/

not a pilot and never served in the military but again, I just have a strong like for it

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-21-2017 at 11:38 AM.
03-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #1500
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A day in the outer harbour - empty sand and gravel barge from the cement plant, three general cargo freighters, a log hauler, a ferry, and a ship transporting a new container crane.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
Closed Thread