Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2017, 03:26 AM   #1561
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I don't think De Havilland/De Havilland Canada and Grumman had any relationship. DHC was later bought by Boeing then eventually sold off to Bombardier.
This source makes no mention of DEC

Grumman S-2 Tracker (S2F) Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) Aircraft

Wikipedia says DHC did build some under license from Grumman

" de Havilland Canada (Grumman) CS2F Tracker "

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Canada

05-02-2017, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #1562
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I'll take off on a slightly different "track" - er, how about split windshields? This one from a '41 Plymouth. The last car I had with a split windshield was a 1958 Volvo P444.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
05-03-2017, 03:28 AM   #1563
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
This source makes no mention of DEC

Grumman S-2 Tracker (S2F) Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) Aircraft

Wikipedia says DHC did build some under license from Grumman

" de Havilland Canada (Grumman) CS2F Tracker "

de Havilland Canada - Wikipedia
Ahh! I never knew that. Thanks for that/
05-03-2017, 04:27 AM   #1564
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
Thanks for the information.
I first came across the Tracker as a cadet in the early 70's while in Camp Borden Ontario. The reason I thought it could have been a "Canadian" Aircraft because, the aircraft that were in Camp Borden (at least the one's I remember climbing through) their Identifier numbers also began with a 4 and believe some of them went museums. Plus many RCAF and RCN Squadron numbers also began with the number 4
I also feel pretty confident in believing that while based around Detroit or in other some of other areas of operation the aircraft was based over it's operational life. The aircraft in the museum, quite likely flew in training missions or on joint NATO, Standing Naval Force Atlantic or Pacific operations with it's "Canadian" cousins. I've also been told by some vets that while on training or joint operations there was quite a rivalry between the American and Canadian Tracker Crews as to who was the best at finding and "Sinking" each other's subs, especially the Diesel boats

this is the best photo I have of the plane right now, obviously this is a cropped section from the photo of the polish mig

" Grumman US-2A Tracker (FAA Reg. Number N486GT)

By the late 1940s, the United States Navy (USN) identified a need to replace its antisubmarine warfare (ASW) hunter-killer teams of TBM-3W2 and TBM-3S Avenger and AF-2W and AF-2S/AF-3S Guardian aircraft. With the team concept one aircraft found the submarine, the second aircraft made the attack. The Navy wanted to incorporate the hunter-killer team into one aircraft. In January 1950, the USN issued an Invitation to Bid for US aircraft manufacturers to come up with a design for the new aircraft. Grumman Aircraft Engineering Corporation won the competition in June 1950 with its Model G-89, beating out 17 other manufacturers and 23 other designs.

The G-89 was a twin-engine aircraft with a crew of four that could carry a variety of torpedoes, depth charges, and mines in an internal bomb bay or on wing racks. It could also carry 5-inch rockets on the latter. The aircraft carried sonobuoys, used to detect submarine sounds and transmitting them by radio, in the rear of the engine nacelles. Initially named the Sentinel, the G-89 was renamed Tracker before entering USN service. The Navy designated the plane S2F-1, and it soon earned the nickname “Stoof” (S-two-F). The S2F-1 first flew in December 1952, and the first Navy squadrons were outfitted with the plane in February 1954. Grumman built 1,169 Trackers between December 1952 and December 1967, and de Havilland of Canada built another 100 under license. In September 1962, all USN S2F-types were re-designated S-2s. A highly successful design, the Tracker series of aircraft flew over 22 years in the active US Navy. Eight S-2 squadrons flew in the Vietnam War. The last deployment of Trackers aboard an aircraft carrier in an ASW role was in 1975. . . . "

http://www.combatairmuseum.org/aircraft/grummanus2tracker.html

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-04-2017, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #1565
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This Alfa sure isn't any Romeo!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
05-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #1566
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My old truck. Besides the mirrors, the only part of it you can see your reflection in is the windshield, but it can still haul a heavy load when need be.

05-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #1567
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Heading In.

Pentax k100d Super body with Takumar F 70~210mm F/4~5.6 Lens.

1/2000s, F/8, ISO @ 400, Focal Length @ 210 and used Pattern Metering.

Thanks so much for viewing.

TT

05-20-2017, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #1568
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One of the world's largest container ships, the 'MOL Triumph' with a capacity of 20,170 teu
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Last edited by Crooski; 05-20-2017 at 11:00 AM. Reason: forgot teu
05-20-2017, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #1569
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

more photos of our 2015 Audi A 5 Coupe

note the interesting "moon roof"

the story is that the designer of the vehicle refused to do a normal one b/c he thought it would ruin the lines of the car

so it doesn't open, it tilts up at the back

my wife drives a Chevy Cruz and my other vehicle is a 2002 Chevy Suburban LT with 186,000 + miles on it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-22-2017, 06:51 PM   #1570
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

05-27-2017, 03:12 AM   #1571
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Audi Q 5 but not the real reason for the post:

here is the real reason -

‘Upping the cool factor in Topeka and Kansas’: Evel Knievel Museum formally dedicated

" The museum boasts two levels of displays of Knievel’s motorcycles and equipment, a “Virtual Reality 4-D Jump Experience,” which enables visitors to sit on a motorcycle and experience a motorcycle jump made in downtown Topeka in the direction of the Kansas Statehouse. A “Pan Your Jump” challenge allows amateur stuntmen to experiment with outfits, ramps, angles, distances and speed for a simulated motorcycle jump.

Also on the first floor, Knievel’s “Big Red” Mack Truck is on display, fully restored. Most of the work was done by Historic Harley Davidson staff, Patterson said. '

?Upping the cool factor in Topeka and Kansas?: Evel Knievel Museum formally dedicated | The Topeka Capital-Journal

http://evelknievelmuseum.com/

just a FYI for those who might be interested and might find themselves near Topeka Kansas
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-27-2017 at 03:18 AM.
05-27-2017, 01:48 PM   #1572
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
My 1975 Hilux pickup, shortly after I painted it way back in the 1980's, at Silver Falls state park in Oregon.

It had about 75,000 miles on it when I bought it in the early 1980's, and a bad clutch. I replaced the clutch, drove it to about 150,000 miles or so and did an inframe on the engine. That got me another 40,000 miles or so. I pulled the engine, and hot rodded it some. Shaved head, ported and polished, bigger valves, high lift and long duration cam, .030 over pistons, Clifford header with 3" exhaust, Canon intake with 2 stage 32/36 Weber carb. Did the complete custom paint and replace the slotted aluminum mags with SR5 wheels (the rears were at Willamette Wheel getting widened when I made this photo so the slots are still mounted), lowered about 5" in the front, 3" in the rear. It would smoke the tires in first and second gear, and wasted no time getting to 140.

It had over 300,000 miles on it when I parked it 14 years ago.

And it still had the same clutch I put in it after I bought it.

The exif shows K10D as the camera. I used it to copy this from the original slide. It was shot on Kodachrome 64, using a Ricoh XR2S with a Pentax M40~80 Zoom mounted.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 05-28-2017 at 12:16 AM.
05-27-2017, 02:47 PM   #1573
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

rail road cars of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe

greatoverlandstation

The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-28-2017, 10:52 AM   #1574
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My great grandfather was a physician employed by the AT&SF, in Topeka, sometime in the late 1800s. My dad's dad was born there and was a RR surveyor, before becoming an engineer--of highways, however, not of railroad engines. By the time the song came along, I don't believe I had family in Kansas or in railroading, till my mom's cousin married a retired worker from the CB&Q.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
06-18-2017, 04:55 AM - 2 Likes   #1575
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ceres crop duster made in Australia between 1958-1962. Only 20 built.
Note the foot niches up the side (you have to climb over the load compartment somehow!)

The days flying was over when I got to the field; I was a bit rushed and left both K5 and Siggy 150-500 on SR/OS. I was surprised to find I had a good number of keepers.
Closed Thread