Site Supporter

A small peddle-boat navy.

Lakeland Park, Canton, IL.
K10D + Tamron Adaptall-2 27A 28-80mm
08-26-2017, 06:45 AM - 2 Likes   #1653
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The McKee Sons is a large Great Lakes freighter. Many years ago it used to also carry cars across Lake Michigan from Muskegon, Michigan to Milwaukee, Wisconsin during the winter months when the Milwaukee Clipper could not.

08-29-2017, 12:32 PM   #1654
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Houseboat on the Cedar River. Never seen one of these things move until Saturday. They all nest in a small harbor on the river and seldom move.

Last edited by Wolfeye; 07-17-2018 at 08:05 PM.
08-29-2017, 02:57 PM   #1655
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My 23 year old beater truck. It ain't pretty but it works

08-29-2017, 03:42 PM   #1656
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
My 23 year old beater truck. It ain't pretty but it works
We owned a 1990 that looked very much like that for 295,000 Km (183,000 mi). No problems with it to speak of. I was in Chicago in 2003 when a salesman from a Lethbridge Alberta Toyota dealer sent me some pictures of a 2002 Tundra SR5 4x4 that was still on the lot. My wife gave him my email address. I took the hint. Picked it up Sept 6 with 206 Km (128 mi) on the clock. It just passed through 281,000 Km (174,000 Mi) and we expect it to make 500,000 if we live that long.
08-29-2017, 04:22 PM   #1657
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
The McKee Sons is a large Great Lakes freighter. Many years ago it used to also carry cars across Lake Michigan from Muskegon, Michigan to Milwaukee, Wisconsin during the winter months when the Milwaukee Clipper could not.

I doubt the McKee Sons could have been used as a Car ferry. As a Self Unloading Steamer or its current setup as a barge it would have been difficult to use the vessel as a car ferry because of the hoppers in the bottom of the cargo holds The cars would have to be carried as deck cargo and would have been loaded and unloaded with a crane. Plus the McKee Sons did not have the capacity or permitted to carry any more than 12 passengers as a ship and is not permitted to carry any passengers as a barge.

The Car Ferry Badger currently does the run between Muskegon to Milwaukee and is the last Great Lakes Ship that still burns Coal in the Boilers

There is a short history of McKee Sons Barge in the Vessel Photo Gallery on the Boatnerd Website http://www.boatnerd.com/

Last edited by NS_Sailor; 08-29-2017 at 04:34 PM.
08-29-2017, 05:09 PM   #1658
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
We owned a 1990 that looked very much like that for 295,000 Km (183,000 mi). No problems with it to speak of. I was in Chicago in 2003 when a salesman from a Lethbridge Alberta Toyota dealer sent me some pictures of a 2002 Tundra SR5 4x4 that was still on the lot. My wife gave him my email address. I took the hint. Picked it up Sept 6 with 206 Km (128 mi) on the clock. It just passed through 281,000 Km (174,000 Mi) and we expect it to make 500,000 if we live that long.
I did buy this one new in 1994. I really wish I had bought the 4x4 at the time, probably saved something like $1500 at the time
08-29-2017, 06:08 PM   #1659
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
I doubt the McKee Sons could have been used as a Car ferry. As a Self Unloading Steamer or its current setup as a barge it would have been difficult to use the vessel as a car ferry because of the hoppers in the bottom of the cargo holds The cars would have to be carried as deck cargo and would have been loaded and unloaded with a crane. Plus the McKee Sons did not have the capacity or permitted to carry any more than 12 passengers as a ship and is not permitted to carry any passengers as a barge.

The Car Ferry Badger currently does the run between Muskegon to Milwaukee and is the last Great Lakes Ship that still burns Coal in the Boilers

There is a short history of McKee Sons Barge in the Vessel Photo Gallery on the Boatnerd Website Great Lakes and Seaway Shipping - BoatNerd.Com
I thought it was odd, but my father is usually pretty sharp on these. He probably confused it with another ship. He is 90 after all. In the late 1940's and early 1950's he rode the SS Milwaukee Clipper between Muskegon and Milwaukee. He helped load and unload the cars. The Clipper is now docked in Muskegon as a museum. The Badger runs out of Ludington, MI to Manitowoc, WI. The Badger is the last coal fired steam ship on the great lakes I believe. I've been on the Badger and that is a unique experience. The Lake Express runs out of Muskegon, MI to Milwaukee, WI. The Lake Express is a high speed ferry that crosses the 80 miles in 2.5 hours. According to my father the Clipper took 6 hours. I grew up in Muskegon and still only live 40 miles away.
08-29-2017, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #1660
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought it was odd, but my father is usually pretty sharp on these. He probably confused it with another ship. He is 90 after all. In the late 1940's and early 1950's he rode the SS Milwaukee Clipper between Muskegon and Milwaukee. He helped load and unload the cars. The Clipper is now docked in Muskegon as a museum. The Badger runs out of Ludington, MI to Manitowoc, WI. The Badger is the last coal fired steam ship on the great lakes I believe. I've been on the Badger and that is a unique experience. The Lake Express runs out of Muskegon, MI to Milwaukee, WI. The Lake Express is a high speed ferry that crosses the 80 miles in 2.5 hours. According to my father the Clipper took 6 hours. I grew up in Muskegon and still only live 40 miles away.
Thanks for correcting my error for the route for Badger. I knew it wasn't right but for the life of me I couldn't remember the ports the Badger ran between.

If you're close to Muskegon and you saw any Canadian Algoma Lakers (Algoway Algorail or Agawa Canyon) in port unloading salt or stone there was a good chance I was on one of these boats

Last edited by NS_Sailor; 08-29-2017 at 06:36 PM.
08-29-2017, 06:42 PM   #1661
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for correcting my error for the route for Badger

If you're close to Muskegon and you saw any Canadian Algoma Lakers (Algoway Algorail or Agawa Canyon) in port unloading salt or stone there was a good chance I was on one of these boats
Oh I'm sure I have. My father and I used to go down to the channel and watch the big barges come through. Used to be a daily scene and now is the rare occasion. Some of those barges were so big the front of the ship was put of the channel before the back of the dip entered. What a site that always was. With the closure of the B.C. Cobb power plant the big coal barges no longer come through. This is a problem for the city because there no longer will enough traffic coming through to warrant the Civil Corps to dredge the channel. The city certainly does not have the funds to do it. No one is certain what the fate of the channel will be. The one thing is all of the salt used on the roads for all of southern mid west Michigan comes through Muskegon. That may be the one saving grace for the channel.
08-29-2017, 07:09 PM   #1662
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it was around WWII maybe there were different rules or adjusted rules, if ferrying cars & drivers across the lake in some way helped with the war effort.

If it was after the war, perhaps they were NEW cars being ferried across the lake, without drivers.
08-29-2017, 09:34 PM   #1663
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for correcting my error for the route for Badger. I knew it wasn't right but for the life of me I couldn't remember the ports the Badger ran between.

Rail's going to scrap end of this year. Way will stay on to help with the new 650 coming this spring, but I'd say she has until end of next year..
08-30-2017, 01:54 PM - 2 Likes   #1664
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BOE901 B739 KBFI-KBIL-KBFI. Boeing 737 Max 9 flight testing today at Billings from Boeing Field, Seattle, WA.
08-30-2017, 05:32 PM - 2 Likes   #1665
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't seem to have much for this thread. As a retiree of MO Department of Transportation you would think I would have more of this kind of stuff. Maybe after 30 years of it I just want to look at other things Anyway this was pre-Pentax for me. I believe it was around this time that I was homing in on a Pentax DSLR because of the backwards compatibility with vintage lenses (not to mention weather sealing and the reasonable cost of the cameras).

Closed Thread